Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
It appears that the real question remains: where do we put NON-category, NON-bonus, everyday basic spend, once the SPG Amex is devalued? I haven't seen a good answer to this question. Like many here, I currently put ALL spend (except airfare) on my SPG Amex cards.
After punting my Citi American Airlines card to the curb a couple years ago, I've been quite happy with the Citi Double Cash card for everyday basic spend. I put hotel stays on hotel cards, and all other travel and restaurant spend on Citi Costco card.

--woodstock
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
It appears that the real question remains: where do we put NON-category, NON-bonus, everyday basic spend, once the SPG Amex is devalued? I haven't seen a good answer to this question. Like many here, I currently put ALL spend (except airfare) on my SPG Amex cards.
When I had both the SPG Amex and Chase Freedom Unlimited, I put majority of my Non-Anything spending on the Chase FU. Not because I think 1.5 UR point is worth more than 1 SPG point, but I think they are close enough and UR points are easier to use when you also have a Sapphire card or Ink Preferred . Now with the merge, not only SPG earning has been devaluated, UR points usage has actually been boosted. You could transfer the 1.5 UR points (per $ spend) to to 1.5 new Marriott points for the 2:1 transfer to airlines not partnered with UR.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:28 pm

My bigger question is whether to dump my SPG AMEX and also dump my AAdvantage Aviator card (which I keep for checked bags & priority boarding, though I use said benefits 1-2x per year) and my Hilton Ascend card in favor of AMEX Platinum. None of these is my primary card, and the hotel cards are mainly for the status (though I did get a free weekend night annually with the old Citi Hilton Visa, and will now get one with SPG). With AMEX Platinum, I can use the airline credit for bag fees and/or priority boarding, plus I receive gold status at SPG/Marriott and Hilton. I know I lose the free weekend night, and I already have Chase Sapphire Reserve (so paying two large AFs gives me pause as a light-to-moderate air traveler).
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Like the idea of the Fidelity 2% cash back card for everyday (not category) spend that we now put on the SPG Amex. We put travel and dining on the Sapphire Reserve and hotel spend on the appropriate card.

Have to think if the Starwood card is worth it going forward for the free night or the hotel spend. Seems like it will depend on the categories and associated values but I also like the idea of using the Chase SR for hotel spend at Marriott/Starwood since that will yield 4.5 cents of value when spent on hotels through the UR portal or give me three Hyatt points per dollar (which I tend to value at about 2 Starpoints per dollar).
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:46 pm

After over 25 years with a SPG Amex, I am thinking of the following:

1. Costco cash back Visa for gas (4%) and restaurants/travel (hotels, rental cars, airfare, etc.) (3%) and Costco (2%)
2. New Marriott Visa for 100K bonus and to test using it for Marriott hotel stays and Marriott timeshare maintenance fees (6 points per dollar)
3. Fidelity cash back Visa (2%) for everything else.

I think it is hard to beat the Costco cash back at 4% for gas and 3% for restaurants, hotels, rental cars, and airfare. In fact, I suspect that 3% cash back will be better than 6 points on the Marriott card. But, I am having a hard time going cold turkey after so long. Then, for non-category spend I think it will be hard to beat the 2% cash back.

My only hesitation is that I've started using the Marriott travel certificates and they are an amazing value. As a result, I'm currently debating whether to consider using the Marriott Visa instead of the Fidelity card. Has anyone tried to value Marriott points used for travel certificates? I see $.7 or $.8 for Marriott points. But, I think they may be more valuable when used for travel certificates.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Aren't the new Chase card and the new AmEx ($95 AF version) essentially exactly the same?
Yes, they essentially are. I would be amiss to pass up 100k points for a new sign up by keeping my old card, right?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:02 pm

Would you open the new Chase MR card to get the bonus of 100K points if all other aspects vs the Marriwood Amex is even? Same AF, same free night reward, same MR earning rate?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by th14

Moving on to one example on the spend side. First class from JFK to Tokyo is 150,000 points on NH vs 140,000 on JAL. Using my math, I would have needed to spend $75,000 on Amex to get 150,000 MR point to pay for this trip to Tokyo on NH. Whereas I would have needed to spend $112,000 on Starwood for the same trip to JAL ($112,000 *.25 transfer bonus = 140,000 points). The math was always bad for Starwood. But now its even worse. I will now have to spend $168,000.
Assuming you plan on returning in this example, you can use 120,000 VS points for a round trip on NH F, which you can transfer in from any of the major programs. $80,000 of spend on any of the various 1.5x cards.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Chicago Cruzer
Would you open the new Chase MR card to get the bonus of 100K points if all other aspects vs the Marriwood Amex is even? Same AF, same free night reward, same MR earning rate?
Assuming you don't have too many recent applications, yes.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

Assuming you don't have too many recent applications, yes.
Not an issue at all, thankfully. Considering if my wife should open a chase MR card now for the 75K bonus, then I open the new card with the 100K bonus in may when it is ready to roll out. We would have a year to try the new program and decide what route to go. Could drop the MR in a year if not worth it.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I have Citi Prestige but will probably be canceling this summer. I have gotten good use out of a couple of the transfer partners but the earning rate isn't all that strong compared to UR.
And give up on their lucrative 4th night free benefit?

-David
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Assuming you plan on returning in this example, you can use 120,000 VS points for a round trip on NH F, which you can transfer in from any of the major programs. $80,000 of spend on any of the various 1.5x cards.
Agreed. This is another example of how you can get there cheaper than SPG and now much cheaper than SPG.

The main downside to partner redemptions is the inability to waitlist. While I know many on here are frustrated by waitlists, I've had several instances where the waitlist cleared immediately or within a few days. My assumption is this a way for carriers to keep inventory to themselves without having to release it to partners.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
1)Let's assume I want to keep platinum and I have a lot of card spend. What's the best card strategy?

If I understand the new scheme correctly, I get 15 nights credit by having the SPG AMEX. Then if I have the Marriott Visa Premier, I get one night credit per $3,000 spend. That would seem to make the path to 50 nights much easier than it would seem at first glance. For former SPG folks, they've made platinum harder by moving from 25 stays to 50 nights, but if you have a lot of card spend, I think you can easily make it via cards.

2) Here's another question: I understand they said SPG people can still qualify for 2019 under the old 25 stay scheme. But once they merge them August, do my Marriott stays count toward that for 2019. In other words, assume on August 1, 2018 a person has 20 SPG stays and 30 Marriott stays. Are they then platinum in the combined program for 2019 on that basis?

Any thoughts on these two points are much appreciated.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xooz
Interesting.. we had big spend in our small business and put it into cards with hotel benefits. For the longest time we hit the HH Surpass card, getting Diamond status and enough points at 3x for normal spend that $15K spend was an award night most anywhere. Then HH devaluation and we started to move to SPG where $15K spend on the SPG Amex was a award night in .. a lot of places. Then the SPG-MR union and $15K spend on the same SPG Amex was a night at most MR hotels.

Now I expect the devaluation combined with a) loss of lounge access via SPG Business card and b) reduced Gold benefits that I otherwise get from Amex Plat will send me to put all normal spend on Citi Double Cash, where $15K spend gives me $300 to spend on a room of some sort. I do collect Chase points via mostly dining spend and have a fair amount to use, perhaps for the occasional good redemption at Hyatt. But the game seems mostly over for me. Had a good run, though...
When I had a small business back in the 80s, I charged EVERYTHING to my TWA Visa card. Back then they had the best award ever....for 50,000 miles you got a rountrip F ticket to Europe PLUS an F upgrade for a companion paying the lowest coach fare. Or, if traveling alone you could use the upgrade for yourself later on a future trip. Over the years I redeemed 9 of these awards!

But the the game is pretty much over for me too with all the devaluation of the loyalty programs. I’ve about had it with all this frequent bullsh*t! 😬
schley likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone?

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
1)Let's assume I want to keep platinum and I have a lot of card spend. What's the best card strategy?

If I understand the new scheme correctly, I get 15 nights credit by having the SPG AMEX. Then if I have the Marriott Visa Premier, I get one night credit per $3,000 spend. That would seem to make the path to 50 nights much easier than it would seem at first glance. For former SPG folks, they've made platinum harder by moving from 25 stays to 50 nights, but if you have a lot of card spend, I think you can easily make it via cards.

2) Here's another question: I understand they said SPG people can still qualify for 2019 under the old 25 stay scheme. But once they merge them August, do my Marriott stays count toward that for 2019. In other words, assume on August 1, 2018 a person has 20 SPG stays and 30 Marriott stays. Are they then platinum in the combined program for 2019 on that basis?

Any thoughts on these two points are much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.