Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
For EVERYDAY spend that does not fit into a bonus category I will likely do AMEX EDP or Chase Freedom Unlimited both at 1.5 points per $1.
Both of those cards have forex fees, so they are good for domestic spend only.

Amex Everyday Preferred requires 30 charges per month to get the 50% bonus. (and grocery store charges are 3.0/4.5 mpd). Also this card has an annual fee.

Chase Freedom Unlimited is 1.5x for all spend and is fee free and subject to Chase's 5/24. You have to have CSP or CSR for UR to be transferrable to airlines. (You combine the URs earned with Freedom into the CSP/CSR (Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve) account (a simple and instant process) and then they can be transferred to airline programs.

IMO, unless you plan on hitting the 30 charges per month on the Amex, Chase Freedom Unlimited is the go to card for un-bonused spend, assuming you have or can get CSP/CSR.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 17, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I am drowning in Ultimate Rewards and UA miles...but I never have enough Starpoints.

So for my unbonused spend, I might just bite the bullet and keep using it...missing a better alternative.
I'll bite, if you are "drowning" in Ultimate Rewards, why don't you... oh I don't know... use some of them?

Regards
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by yrs
UR may be transferred to Marriott. I am sure you know that.
at the ridiculous 1:1 rate. Please don't do that.

-David
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'll bite, if you are "drowning" in Ultimate Rewards, why don't you... oh I don't know... use some of them?
Oh I do...have transferred some to BA / IB to take advantage of good award options. Will have to find a way to use them on CX flights once my AA miles run out.

Point is...it is easy to rack up URs with the CSR. Was never easy to rack up Starpoints nearly as much...and I was one that liked to redeem my hotel points for...hotels
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by ESpen36

Anyone thinking of Amazon Visa Signature? 5% cash back at Amazon and Whole Foods, 2% cash back on restaurants, gas stations, drugstores, and 1% cash back everywhere else. No foreign transaction fee or annual fee (aside from Prime membership).
I definitely am, as Amazon/Whole Foods is my second biggest CC expense (Starwood hotels being #1 ). However, even if I moved all my CPG/food spend to Amazon/Whole Foods, I still think I'd be worse off rewards-wise than I was on 7/31/18. Hesitant to go back to CSP/CSR as I just cancelled it...maybe its time to give in to the DoubleCash
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:36 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by nall
https://www.spgpromos.com/amexcoming...comingsoon_DEF

Effective August 1, 2018, complimentary access to the Sheraton® Club Lounge will no longer be offered through The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express.
I missed that. Thank you. I have set my calendar to call Amex on July 31 to cancel my SPG Business Card.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
At this point, are 7400 AMEX points worth more than 3700 SPG points? I have a large bill coming up and an trying to decide between using the SPG card or just switch to the Blue Business Plus card for 2x MR. I don’t have any trips planned for SPG points at the moment so they’d conceivably just transfer to Marriott in August. Currently have over 400k AMEX points and 52k SPG
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by traveler18
Will likely be closing both personal and business SPG cards.
same here....haven't decided yet what i'm going to replace those with....
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by yurtripper
The UK card is due to be launched in August, but will only give 1pt/£ for domestic spend.
Indeed, far less generous. And not being a UK resident, I'd be appreciative of even that
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
For everyday, non-bonused spend, I'd pick the BofA Premium Rewards card. Solid, dependable 2.625% back, assuming you can spare 100k in assets at Merrill Edge. (not a bad discount brokerage)

Wish there was a business version.

I'm thinking the Hilton Aspire may be a better card for frequent stayers.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Amex Everyday Preferred requires 30 charges per month to get the 50% bonus. (and grocery store charges are 3.0/4.5 mpd).
-David
Never had an issue with gettng 30 transactions in a month when I decided to us AMEX EDP for the charges during a month. Daily stop at Starbucks on the way in to work typically takes care of 20 or so of the transactions for me and I assume a lot of people stop to pick up a cup of coffee in the morning either at Starbucks, DD or a convenience store.

I just struggle with the decision of if I should use EDP or Freedom Unlimited for the everyday non-bonus spend. Have close to 800k UR points and 490k MR points so currently focusing on AMEX to even them out. If I were to follow the advise of one of the big travel bloggers online, I would focus on UR as he values those points at $0.021 and AMEX MR at $0.019....probably because he gets a bigger referral bonus for driving people to UR cards!

Last edited by christianj; Apr 18, 2018 at 5:18 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Premium Travel Value

We recently cashed in points for 5 nights at the St. Regis Florence for $0.021 per point (175k points for 4 nights + 1 free night) and are flying Biz Air France for $0.04 per point (200k points). Even with the impending devaluation, these values exceed the value from most other credit card programs.

We all know that the greatest value is free premium travel, but these seats are increasingly rare if you require specific dates. For this AF flight, we had to book 340 days in advance for June travel and still could not get exactly the return date we wanted.

We have both Starwood Amex and Chase Marriott and are in the same pickle as everyone else. IMO, Amex MR are the most flexible for air. We no longer need the additional nights as a LTP. Keep the comments coming!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Here is my current plan:

1- Base (old) SPG Amex - keep as everyday spender until July 31, 2018.
2- Hold base (old) SPG Amex until "upgrade" offer appears and then upgrade to the new Luxury $450 Amex card. Cancel Marriott Rewards cc after "upgrade" to Amex luxury (I hold both base cards now - no point in that post "upgrade".
a- The new luxury card does have a high annual fee, but it is easily recouped for anyone who frequently stays in Marriott/Starwood. $300 credit towards room charges/incidentals in Marriott/Starwood hotels leaves an effective $150 AF. Also offers a free night up to hotels at 50,000 point level, which absolutely will be >$150 in value (more likely $250 in value). So the AF is easily recouped each year.
b- Use the new Luxury SPG card for ALL Starwood/Marriott stays at 6x and use for everyday spend SOLELY* for restaurants and airfare (3x spend, which equates to the same earn as the base (old) SPG Amex. DO NOT use card for anything else. *This assumes the award chart doesn't devalue materially (if it does, I may not use for restaurants/airfare).
3- Identify alternate everyday spend credit card. Unclear at this point which one it is. Chase UR cards are in the running.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Here is my current plan:

1- Base (old) SPG Amex - keep as everyday spender until July 31, 2018.
2- Hold base (old) SPG Amex until "upgrade" offer appears and then upgrade to the new Luxury $450 Amex card. Cancel Marriott Rewards cc after "upgrade" to Amex luxury (I hold both base cards now - no point in that post "upgrade".
a- The new luxury card does have a high annual fee, but it is easily recouped for anyone who frequently stays in Marriott/Starwood. $300 credit towards room charges/incidentals in Marriott/Starwood hotels leaves an effective $150 AF. Also offers a free night up to hotels at 50,000 point level, which absolutely will be >$150 in value (more likely $250 in value). So the AF is easily recouped each year.
b- Use the new Luxury SPG card for ALL Starwood/Marriott stays at 6x and use for everyday spend SOLELY* for restaurants and airfare (3x spend, which equates to the same earn as the base (old) SPG Amex. DO NOT use card for anything else. *This assumes the award chart doesn't devalue materially (if it does, I may not use for restaurants/airfare).
3- Identify alternate everyday spend credit card. Unclear at this point which one it is. Chase UR cards are in the running.
Good strategy generally - though I struggle with using this card going forward for restaurants/airfare, as the CSR will also get you 3x, but the UR currency is ~50%-100% more powerful as a unit of value.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Here is my current plan:
If you are solely looking to acquire SPG/MR points then using the new card for restaurant and airfare may make sense but there are better alternatives out there IMHO. Here's an example just for restaurant charges: (I will leave out travel as there are too many other options like AMEX Plat. at 5/$1.)
1. You use the new LUXURY SPG/MR AMEX for restaurant purchases. For calculation purposes let's assume you charge $10k which would net you 30k SPG/MR points under the new system. These points will get you a) a free off peak night in a Cat. 5 hotel or b) a free peak night at a Cat. 4 hotel.
2. You use the Chase Sapphire Reserve card for restaurant purchases. Assume the same $10k in spend nets you 30k Chase UR points. Transfer these points to Hyatt and you get 30k WOH points. These points will get you a free night at their highest category hotel. Card comes with a high annual fee but other benefits.

Just food for thought!
TravelinSperry likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.