Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page > SPG Resorts with Lounge (now off-limits to Plats)

SPG Resorts with Lounge (now off-limits to Plats)

Old Apr 16, 18, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

SPG Resorts with Lounge (now off-limits to Plats)

Apparently one of the losses of the new combined programme is that Plats will miss out on lounge access at resorts.

No such exclusion existed on the SPG programme. But were there that many (any?) resorts with lounge in the first place ?
Old Apr 16, 18, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG Plat75
The Westin Diplomat had one (left SPG in 2014), although I'm not sure if it was classified as a resort.
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Sheraton Waikiki - pretty nice one too - awesome views.
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Off the top of my head:

Sheraton Waikiki
Moana Surfrider
Royal Hawaiian
Sheraton Maui
Sheraton Full Moon Maldives
Westin Turtle Bay Mauritius

I'm sure there are more.
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
I seem to recall Westin Kierland had one when I visited, but that was at least a decade ago. I don't recall it being anything special, and they were very strict (to the point of being annoying) that it was only for 2. I think I ended up having MrsCP and one daughter go as the 2, and my other daughter as the $10/day child extra (adults were $50/day) for breakfast. And I seem to recall they had some leftovers to take with them....
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:23 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by M.dA.R. View Post
Apparently one of the losses of the new combined programme is that Plats will miss out on lounge access at resorts.

No such exclusion existed on the SPG programme. But were there that many (any?) resorts with lounge in the first place ?
Where does it say this?
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Where does it say this?
​​​​​​​See ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ :
​​​​​​​
​​​​​IF YOU STAY 50–74 NIGHTS A YEAR:

YOU’LL BE A PLATINUM ELITE MEMBER!

STARTING IN AUGUST 2018, PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERS RECEIVE:
  • 50% Bonus Points on Stays
  • 4 p.m. Late Checkout
  • Enhanced Room Upgrade, Including Select Suites (Based on Availability)
  • Annual Gift Choice (5 Suite Night Awards or Gift Option)
  • Lounge Access (with Breakfast — at JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels by MarriottTM, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Sheraton®, Westin®, Le Meridien®); Excludes Resorts
  • Platinum Welcome Gift (Choice of 500/1,000 Points, Breakfast Offering or Amenity, Varies by Brand)
Old Apr 16, 18, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

So what happens at these resorts? No lounge access, but Plats can get breakfast in lieu of welcome points?

FWIW, SPG has 335 resorts, including many head scratchers like Westin Kyoto, Suiran, SR Macau, Sheraton Yogya, LM Chiang Rai, LM BKK airport, 4P Ventura CA, etc -- not all of these have lounges, of course, but it doesn't seem very hard to become a resort.
Old Apr 16, 18, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/MR Plat, IHG Plat
Curious to see how this is implemented. It is precisely those holiday stays where lounge access can be most appreciated. No company expense account, and if the hotel is secluded they have a virtual monopoly on food...

I'm willing to hope that SPG hotels that have been generous previously won't suddenly become stingy.
Old Apr 16, 18, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Ex, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Delta GM
Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
So what happens at these resorts? No lounge access, but Plats can get breakfast in lieu of welcome points?

FWIW, SPG has 335 resorts, including many head scratchers like Westin Kyoto, Suiran, SR Macau, Sheraton Yogya, LM Chiang Rai, LM BKK airport, 4P Ventura CA, etc -- not all of these have lounges, of course, but it doesn't seem very hard to become a resort.
There are some promo codes like Z3R and Z4R (as opposed to Z3H and Z4H), for 3rd/4th night free. The "R" stands for "Resort", which can be applied to some properties that seem to be in major cities (BKK, for example, as mentioned here). It will be interesting to see if all current SPG properties that support Z3R/Z4R promo codes will all be considered resorts for lounge access exclusion.
Old Apr 16, 18, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold
This is a huge devaluation to me. Plenty of properties are categorised as resorts. Sheraton La Caleta in Spain, Westin Cancun, Westin Malta, Le Méridien Dahab, Westin Puerto Vallarta (and Sheraton). The whole point of the scheme is elite benefits when on vacation. Otherwise, forget it.
Old Apr 16, 18, 11:44 pm

Programs: SPG-PLT100, AA-EXP MR-PLT, HH-DIA
So then at resort properties, is lounge access strictly based on room type?
Old Apr 16, 18, 11:48 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Also, seems like no more lounge access at LC, W and StR properties, those few that had them - think Grosvenor House in Dubai, Prince Gallery Tokyo, SGS Bangkok etc.

That'd be a shame as those lounges are often way better than the standard Sheraton/Westin ones you find, they're more like RC lounges.

I wonder what will happen with upgraded rooms in those properties, will getting a plat upgrade or using SNA to a suite with club access also provide lounge benefits?

Last edited by porkie; Apr 17, 18 at 12:28 am
Old Apr 17, 18, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by porkie View Post
Also, seems like no more lounge access at LC, W and StR properties, those few that had them - think Grosvenor House in Dubai, Prince Gallery Tokyo, SGS Bangkok etc.
SGS doesn't have a lounge but Athenee sure does.
Old Apr 17, 18, 2:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold
LC Metropole Belgrade, Balkan Sofia, Grand Bratislava among many others I can't think of right now (

Search this Thread