FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   SPG Resorts with Lounge (now off-limits to Plats) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1904296-spg-resorts-lounge-now-off-limits-plats.html)

M.dA.R. Apr 16, 2018 5:51 pm

SPG Resorts with Lounge (now off-limits to Plats)

Apparently one of the losses of the new combined programme is that Plats will miss out on lounge access at resorts.

No such exclusion existed on the SPG programme. But were there that many (any?) resorts with lounge in the first place ?

yvr76 Apr 16, 2018 5:59 pm

The Westin Diplomat had one (left SPG in 2014), although I'm not sure if it was classified as a resort.

SF1K Apr 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Sheraton Waikiki - pretty nice one too - awesome views.

margarita girl Apr 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Off the top of my head:

Sheraton Waikiki
Moana Surfrider
Royal Hawaiian
Sheraton Maui
Sheraton Full Moon Maldives
Westin Turtle Bay Mauritius

I'm sure there are more.

CPRich Apr 16, 2018 6:19 pm

I seem to recall Westin Kierland had one when I visited, but that was at least a decade ago. I don't recall it being anything special, and they were very strict (to the point of being annoying) that it was only for 2. I think I ended up having MrsCP and one daughter go as the 2, and my other daughter as the $10/day child extra (adults were $50/day) for breakfast. And I seem to recall they had some leftovers to take with them....

seat38a Apr 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by M.dA.R. (Post 29648509)
Apparently one of the losses of the new combined programme is that Plats will miss out on lounge access at resorts.

No such exclusion existed on the SPG programme. But were there that many (any?) resorts with lounge in the first place ?

Where does it say this?

M.dA.R. Apr 16, 2018 6:29 pm

​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by seat38a (Post 29648632)
Where does it say this?

​​​​​​​See ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ :
​​​​​​​
​​​​​IF YOU STAY 50–74 NIGHTS A YEAR:

YOU’LL BE A PLATINUM ELITE MEMBER!

STARTING IN AUGUST 2018, PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERS RECEIVE:
  • 50% Bonus Points on Stays
  • 4 p.m. Late Checkout
  • Enhanced Room Upgrade, Including Select Suites (Based on Availability)
  • Annual Gift Choice (5 Suite Night Awards or Gift Option)
  • Lounge Access (with Breakfast — at JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels by MarriottTM, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Sheraton®, Westin®, Le Meridien®); Excludes Resorts
  • Platinum Welcome Gift (Choice of 500/1,000 Points, Breakfast Offering or Amenity, Varies by Brand)

jpdx Apr 16, 2018 7:41 pm

So what happens at these resorts? No lounge access, but Plats can get breakfast in lieu of welcome points?

FWIW, SPG has 335 resorts, including many head scratchers like Westin Kyoto, Suiran, SR Macau, Sheraton Yogya, LM Chiang Rai, LM BKK airport, 4P Ventura CA, etc -- not all of these have lounges, of course, but it doesn't seem very hard to become a resort.

craigthemif Apr 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Curious to see how this is implemented. It is precisely those holiday stays where lounge access can be most appreciated. No company expense account, and if the hotel is secluded they have a virtual monopoly on food...

I'm willing to hope that SPG hotels that have been generous previously won't suddenly become stingy.

conde Apr 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 29648893)
So what happens at these resorts? No lounge access, but Plats can get breakfast in lieu of welcome points?

FWIW, SPG has 335 resorts, including many head scratchers like Westin Kyoto, Suiran, SR Macau, Sheraton Yogya, LM Chiang Rai, LM BKK airport, 4P Ventura CA, etc -- not all of these have lounges, of course, but it doesn't seem very hard to become a resort.

There are some promo codes like Z3R and Z4R (as opposed to Z3H and Z4H), for 3rd/4th night free. The "R" stands for "Resort", which can be applied to some properties that seem to be in major cities (BKK, for example, as mentioned here). It will be interesting to see if all current SPG properties that support Z3R/Z4R promo codes will all be considered resorts for lounge access exclusion.

ajamieson Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

This is a huge devaluation to me. Plenty of properties are categorised as resorts. Sheraton La Caleta in Spain, Westin Cancun, Westin Malta, Le Méridien Dahab, Westin Puerto Vallarta (and Sheraton). The whole point of the scheme is elite benefits when on vacation. Otherwise, forget it.

asf-07 Apr 16, 2018 11:44 pm

So then at resort properties, is lounge access strictly based on room type?

porkie Apr 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Also, seems like no more lounge access at LC, W and StR properties, those few that had them - think Grosvenor House in Dubai, Prince Gallery Tokyo, SGS Bangkok etc.

That'd be a shame as those lounges are often way better than the standard Sheraton/Westin ones you find, they're more like RC lounges.

I wonder what will happen with upgraded rooms in those properties, will getting a plat upgrade or using SNA to a suite with club access also provide lounge benefits?

dsquared37 Apr 17, 2018 1:59 am

Originally Posted by porkie (Post 29649624)
Also, seems like no more lounge access at LC, W and StR properties, those few that had them - think Grosvenor House in Dubai, Prince Gallery Tokyo, SGS Bangkok etc.

SGS doesn't have a lounge but Athenee sure does.

ajamieson Apr 17, 2018 2:06 am

LC Metropole Belgrade, Balkan Sofia, Grand Bratislava among many others I can't think of right now :((