Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[Changing in August] SPG Amex to go from 1.25 airline miles per $ to 0.83 miles/$

[Changing in August] SPG Amex to go from 1.25 airline miles per $ to 0.83 miles/$

Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Since the Sheraton Club Lounge benefits will disappear for SPG Biz Amex on Aug 1, 2018, what will be the reason to keep it in addition to the SPG consumer Amex? (4 additional devices on Boingo WiFi?) Maybe I'm not seeing something...
4 points/$ for:
  • U.S.-based restaurants and gas stations,
  • wireless phone services purchased directly from a U.S.-based wireless company
  • U.S. purchases for shipping services.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:01 am

While USD SPG Amex will be devaluated,
JPY SPG Amex will keep the current rate and will be 100 JPY (equivalent to 0.95 USD) = 3 pts
Not sure about CAD SPG yet....

No significant advantage for "Luxury Card" with 450 USD annual fee..
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Originally Posted by controller1
4 points/$ for:
The SPG AMEX is taking 4 steps back and with the above maybe half a step forward, and is probably the only "olive branch" that Marriott is giving the legacy SPG members. Specifically those in ecommerce the "shipping service" department could be useful and represents a ~33% increase in value, although there are other Amex product that give bonus in this category.

As far as gas stations though, depending on how hard we want to "work" for the starpoints, I guess we can purchase thousands of dollars of gift cards for amazon.com, whole foods or other supermarkets that we might shop at.

Maybe we (or bloggers) should start discussing the cards to which we would migrate our charges to.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Originally Posted by jmj9905
stvr:

which one of those cards can you transfer miles/points to AA?
SPG is 1:1.25 (before devaluation) but the cobranded cards can to 1:1 ratio.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by cozysuite
While USD SPG Amex will be devaluated,
JPY SPG Amex will keep the current rate and will be 100 JPY (equivalent to 0.95 USD) = 3 pts
Not sure about CAD SPG yet....

No significant advantage for "Luxury Card" with 450 USD annual fee..
Do you have the Japan SPG Amex? I have it, but not sure to keep it or dump it within this year. Any tips?

Furthermore, as a general question for SPG Amex that gifts SPG Gold, what is the new status gifted by AMEX cards?
Starriot Gold elite?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:02 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I will bean count a lot of things and the winner gets my stays, spends and everything else. I am sure the AMEX and SPG/Marriott bean counters did the same. Family is family, hotel/airline and CC it's all about max value.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by paolo64
In respect of the airline miles cost, it's a 50% change rather than 33%
How do you get 50% change instead of 33%? The new base earning rate will be 2 points per dollar, while today it's 3 points (when you convert SPG to MR at 1:3), that's a 33% decrease in earning.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Do you have the Japan SPG Amex? I have it, but not sure to keep it or dump it within this year. Any tips?

Furthermore, as a general question for SPG Amex that gifts SPG Gold, what is the new status gifted by AMEX cards?
Starriot Gold elite?

I'll still keep JPY SPG Amex as long as it gives cat 1-6 free night. It only gives 5 night status instead of 15, but better than CAD or GBP version.
'Gold Elite' will be given after 35,000 USD by USD SPG Amex but probably not by JPY version (downgraded from current).

After USD Amex became foreign exchange free card, I had cancelled GBP version but still keep USD, CAD and JPY SPG Amex..
Among them CAD SPG is least useful if 1CAD = 2pts but not sure yet...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
How do you get 50% change instead of 33%? The new base earning rate will be 2 points per dollar, while today it's 3 points (when you convert SPG to MR at 1:3), that's a 33% decrease in earning.
Correct but as per the example in the original post, to earn 25000 air miles under the previous earning rate required $20000 spend, but with the lower rate it now requires $30k spend, ie 50% more.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The question is, will we even be able to transfer to airlines after the merge?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by loun80
That`s not even a question -_-
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by controller1
4 points/$ for:
I'm not sure that's a good reason? 4 MR is 1.3 Starpoints.

Instead you can get 3% or 5% back on those categories with other cards sometimes including free cards like Amex Simply Cash and Chase Ink Cash.

I would only hold a MR/SPG card now for the benefits if you're able to use them, not for spending.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by paolo64
Correct but as per the example in the original post, to earn 25000 air miles under the previous earning rate required $20000 spend, but with the lower rate it now requires $30k spend, ie 50% more.
Yeah they are the same. 33.3% decrease in point value = 50% increase in point cost to transfer
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by loun80
see number 5 https://members.marriott.com/spg/
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Hilton Honors Amex Business Card is looking much more attractive than the SPG Business card now.

-3X Points on non bonus spend
-6X Points in the bonus categories
-Diamond Status with 40K annual spend on the card
-2 Free weekend nights if you spend 60K annually
-12X Points for Hilton Spend
ESpen36 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.