FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Present Credit Card @ Check In (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1904025-present-credit-card-check.html)

tycosiao Apr 15, 18 3:28 am

Present Credit Card @ Check In

just booked a prepaid rate for family using my cc

realised that under the T&C, it mentioned they need a copy of the CC during check in

Can a digital copy, aka a photo of the cc work or they need the physical copy?

If the property name is required, its the aloft bangkok.

Thanks

stargold Apr 15, 18 4:46 am

Have they already charged the card? If not, you can probably contact them and change the card it is charged to.

If they have charged the card, then you need to contact them - properties have different procedures, ranging from not accepting at all, to asking you to e-mail the card front/back and a form of ID.

yyznomad Apr 15, 18 6:38 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 29641961)

realised that under the T&C, it mentioned they need a copy of the CC during check in

Thanks

Perhaps this is a local law/rule?

I've stayed at various SPG properties around the world (AFAIK, this is just the plain vanilla generic T&C?), and have never been specifically asked for my credit card on file, however, I have been asked for a credit card in order to pre-authorize for room rate and incidentals. I always book using spg.com.

TerryK Apr 15, 18 7:40 am

....realised that under the T&C, it mentioned they need a copy of the CC during check in

Can a digital copy, aka a photo of the cc work or they need the physical copy?.....

Unlikely to work. This is an anti credit card fraud measure.

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29642268)
Perhaps this is a local law/rule?.....

Some countries, mostly locations with high credit card fraud rate, require physical card at check in. If not available, a full charge will be made to new credit card while original credit card will be refunded in full.

tycosiao Apr 15, 18 8:43 am

Thanks

I have emailed the property and I shall wait for their reply and see what I can do

Often1 Apr 15, 18 9:38 am

I would telephone during regular local business hours in Singapore. What happens elsewhere or even at other properties in Singapore is irrelevant. All you care about is the policy this particular policy will follow and you are best off with a clear-cut answer.

Need Apr 15, 18 12:11 pm

Thanks

If the word "copy" is in there, it is not the actual credit card. I don't think there is such a thing as physical copy unless it is a 3D printed copy of your card! :p

mhdena Apr 15, 18 1:01 pm

I've used one card to make the reservation, another card at the check in, a third or gift card at the check out.

Across Fairmont, Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood, multiple countries.

They just need a card, they don't care which one.

stargold Apr 16, 18 2:00 am

Not if it's a pre-paid rate. They will charge the card you give at the point of booking, and may cause issues if you do not have the card that they charged the room rate on.

myko85 Apr 16, 18 3:01 am

I have stayed at that property before. They do not ask for original credit card during check in... which made sense to me since they have a copy of your passport when you check in. Kind of hard to do credit card fraud when they have your passport information. They do ask for a card for incidentals.

Morland Apr 16, 18 6:07 am

I have been caught out by this in Thailand, at Le Meridien Phuket. The CC I had used to make the prepaid booking was cancelled by the credit card company due to suspected fraud and I was issued with a new card on the same account (different number). I had not noticed that the particular card was required at checkin and showed up with the replacement card which caused some consternation. In the end I had to get the credit card company to email the hotel confirming that the new card was on the same account despite the different number. The checkin was early morning (5am) so I may have been dealing with "off-peak" checkin staff but they were extremely unhelpful in providing alternative solutions, repeatedly asserting that they could not let me checkin unless they saw the card with which I had booked. Potential for CC fraud was the stated reason.