Do I have a bad ambassador?

Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Got an Ambassador since last August. Already through my second. What a disappointment. SPG is top program till plat75. Than you reach a level where the only thing an Ambassador is bringing is frustration...and the will to put your nights somewhere else. No intention to chase at all that level anymore, plat75...whichever what they show us next Monday may be the only one worth it. Sad! I cannot undestand why they try to alienate people spending over 30% of a year in their properties...
I would hope the SPG program is delivering a good product. Should the Ambassador program not be to your liking, then don't use it. Continuing to stay at SPG properties is not a waste of time/money unless you insist upon earning status elsewhere and that can be a costly endeavour (I had top tier in four programs at one point). Yes, MRs may be cut back, but those have limited ROI based upon what you find important in a program.

I am hoping Monday will be revealing, but won't be surprised if it's just more of the same marketing speak we've been hearing.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by rocky
I've made three requests this year and all have been bungled.
  • I needed to add my wife to a reservation so she could get a visa. It was a critical request. Never executed.
  • I wanted to send my wife chocolates for her birthday that I'd previously had at the St. Regis Deer Valley. (Willing to pay for it.). No execution.
  • Wanted to book a room at St. Regis Princeville. There was only one room left at the hotel available for reward points. It was toward the end of her work day, but she was emailing and I responded immediately. If someone is leaving for the day and you know there is only one room, my expectation is that you pass the request on to someone who is on the clock. I ended up calling the call center and booking it so I didn't lose it.
So far 0/3.

In the distant past (~8 years ago), I worked with Abel Holguin, who was fantastic. (He moved into a different role, so he isn't an option.)

Is my experience atypical? As much as people complain about the AmEx Platinum Concierges, I've never had this kind of experience.
Based on your OP alone, and if comparing to my previous ambassador which I had for several years, you definitely have a bad ambassador. My ambassador responded to and executed all of my requests. I had roughly 100 different requests, most of which were done smoothly and any problems were resolved rather quickly. Not saying my ambassador was perfect, but certainly did their job as expected and looked out for me at times, like with special gifts waiting for me in my room after checking in, birthday presents, etc. These little touches were really nice after TATL and TPAC flights.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, MR PLAT
Have had the same ambassador for four or five years now and she has been excellent
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:20 am
HNS

Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
My ambassador was great (in the sense that I am not at that tier anymore). Had every request executed, saved my butt a couple of times when I didn't calculate the time zone difference right and noticed a day before departure that I will get to the destination a day late! Gifts waiting in my room, presents on my birthday. Sounds like an unlucky match, you can probably change it if you call and request, providing the reasons in the OP.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
From my experience on that other side of the Front Desk at *wood properties, I never had a call from the Plat nor Ambassador folks. Ambassadors sent faxes. FD staff were not trained on what an Ambassador fax looks like nor what to do if they happen to see one come in. The fax machine is used by many people; sometimes incomings are just put on top of the machine and sit there. Sometimes, when an Ambassador "exceptionally requests" ( I always laughed at that standard phrase in the faxes) an item or service in the fax, it is just never acted on. I'd see a lot of faxes from a "<name redacted>” as an Ambassador, but I never saw from anyone else that stands out. I only knew about this stuff because I was a SPG member long before I became a *wood employee. The only SPG people I had phone contact with were the SPG Champions in charge of the programs and as the hotel SPG Champion, I had monthly calls with them on how well we were doing in enrolling new members, upgrading members, etc.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 24, 2018 at 2:15 pm Reason: Remove associate name, as per FT Rules
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:29 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb Does SPG/Starwood really exist to a large extent?

And if so to what extent? If I had a bad Ambassador I would simply request a new one and keep my expectations low with the current state of the company
The bigger question is there really truly a Starwood or SPG left anymore to any fair degree?
The name lives on temporarily.Almost anyone I know of importance has picked up and left the company
Those were the folks responsible for customer service
I come to expect next to nothing except the expectations I have from any quality property I stay in
Starwood is simply a previously well respected program/company from the past that was all bought up by Marriott soon to be extinct as it rolls into Marriott Rewards
Marriott never delivered the kind customer service of Starwood did in my many decades of dealing with both companies

I don't expect much anymore from whats left of Starwood in the way of outstanding personal service certainly not now from their call centers.And Marriott never had excellent customer service
How much empowerment would they even have under Marriott ownership presently?
Much like the Continental Airlines merger when its really United ownership and customer service bleeding into the equation from the UA side

Certainly Marriott does have its jewel brands
While Marriott will be popular due to how many brands they represent now for me the glory days are long over.Hopefully I will stand to be wrong but I doubt it
I am fortunate to have been a part of the glory days during the SPG era that was truly inspirational even with some bumps in the road over the years.
The people the program, the management and quite a few agents that seemed like friends and family

I believe today we will ultimately find out the future of the final demise of Starwood/SPG and what that looks like with gazillion complicated tiers and the winners vs the losers of the new Marriott Rewards program going forward
Quite frankly I'm far from optimistic and expect a lack luster program driving me back to Hilton and Hyatt where I never left and some IHG mixed in
In some ways some of the former Starwood hotels may be be improved long term however I expect Marriott's obsessive cost cutting to take an enormous toll on elite breakfast quality, program benefits and hard reward redemption value
Prepared for the worst and hoping for the best
Stay tuned

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 16, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It does sound like there are a lot of bad Ambassadors. If you have a bad one, I'd ask to speak to the Ambassador supervisor and lay out your specific needs and expectations. I think you'd have more chance of being assigned to a star that someone just saying they don't like their current level of service.

My Ambassador has helped me with about 20 *in policy* requests, and he's told me 4 times what I was asking for wasn't something he could guarantee as part of the SPG terms, but each time has either been able to meet my specific requests or creatively work with properties to come up with an alternative which met my actual needs. I hope Marriott doesn't lose him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.