Starwood = Terrible Earn and Burn

Old Apr 11, 18, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Starwood = Terrible Earn and Burn

I have long said SPG is one of the worst hotel programs fir earning points. SPG is good for credit card earning ONLY. I am very glad to see Marriott taking over and Here is why:

I just had a 1 night stay at the Westin in Atlanta
Rate: $300 + Tax
Earn: 300x3 = 900

Check in Bonus = 0 since I had breakfast - Why do you need to trade your check in bonus for a benefit everyone else just gives you.
Promotion = Stupid - I have lifetime Platinum )through Marriott but I got stays count 2x. I called and asked for a point promo they said they have no way to change it. SPG customer service is no doubt the worst. No arguing there.

So I earned 900 points. In Marriott conversion thats 2700. If this were Marriott I would have earned 300x15 = 4500 + 500 checkin + 2000 Promo = 7000! Even without the promo, MR is a far more valuable program with far better elite benefits. Breakfast at Courtyard is moot since SPG doesn't really have a competing brand in reasonable numbers anyway. Marriott has more full service hotels offering elite benefits. And if you do stay at aloft, if you have ever tried their not so fresh breakfast Im sure you are not impressed.

SPG = CRAP! Glad to see it go! Marriott is keeping the few good benefits. Hopefully they keep Marriott's customer service which is best in the business. And yes, they let you change promotions! They have done it every time I have asked if they offer something else.
Old Apr 11, 18, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Depends what you principally care about. I'm aware SPG is relatively poor in terms of absolute points earning and free nights, but that really doesn't bother me as I'm not looking for a hotel loyalty programme purely for the most free stays. What I care about is excellent top level status treatment at high quality hotels, which SPG gives in spades (as far as I can see Hyatt is the only other major chain that comes close).

I'm sure some people will be happy for SPG to move to an 'earn and burn'-type loyalty programme, but if I were just looking to get as many free stays out of a programme as possible I'd focus primarily on IHG again with it's constant large bonus points promotions.
HOBtrvlr and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 3:22 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
I have long said SPG is one of the worst hotel programs fir earning points. SPG is good for credit card earning ONLY. I am very glad to see Marriott taking over and Here is why:

Check in Bonus = 0 since I had breakfast - Why do you need to trade your check in bonus for a benefit everyone else just gives you.
Promotion = Stupid - I have lifetime Platinum )through Marriott but I got stays count 2x. I called and asked for a point promo they said they have no way to change it. SPG customer service is no doubt the worst. No arguing there.

So I earned 900 points. In Marriott conversion thats 2700. If this were Marriott I would have earned 300x15 = 4500 + 500 checkin + 2000 Promo = 7000! Even without the promo, MR is a far more valuable program with far better elite benefits. Breakfast at Courtyard is moot since SPG doesn't really have a competing brand in reasonable numbers anyway. Marriott has more full service hotels offering elite benefits. And if you do stay at aloft, if you have ever tried their not so fresh breakfast Im sure you are not impressed.

SPG = CRAP! Glad to see it go! Marriott is keeping the few good benefits. Hopefully they keep Marriott's customer service which is best in the business. And yes, they let you change promotions! They have done it every time I have asked if they offer something else.
So you did the earn part, can you share with us the burn part.

For me, I got into SPG because of a location where with early planning I could get a winter studio that sleeps four ( snug of course :-) For 10K points per night, going rate to pay was at the time almost 1000 USD, of course with point inflation that favorite place is now 14K points. I've lost count as with do 4 nights get 5th, I came away with a almost 5-6K USD for free every couple years, that was sweet for me personally. More so than possibly more nights someplace else that wouldn't be either useful or meaningful.

When did math for similar level priority after factoring CC earns and bonus from SPG awards ( yes this coming quarter is a bit on the lame side ) Marriott didn't look that great. Then for each person they have the places they want to go, the premium hotel, their locations etc. etc. So many factors to consider.

Share your burn value, how many nights for equal level premium or entry property, perhaps how it works for you. And where you get smoking value, simply points aren't the only factor, to make it so is most naive.

As another shared there is of course Hyatt, Hilton, and others to consider for the many many factors/perks and rewards that are personally important.
Old Apr 11, 18, 4:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Promotion = Stupid
You are aware who is responsible for the woeful decline in the attractiveness of SPG promos in the past year or so, yes ?

I have long said SPG is one of the worst hotel programs
We hear ya.

Can't help wondering, why choose to stay at the Westin Atlanta then ?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 11, 18 at 4:06 am
Old Apr 11, 18, 4:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ti CX SL UA SL TP *G Starlux insighter

SPG = CRAP!
yea yea yea
all thanks to maRiot
remymartin likes this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; QR Plat
Why am i laughing?
Old Apr 11, 18, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by xexs View Post
yea yea yea
all thanks to maRiot
That is not really true. Marriott Promos have been better than SPG for a while.

As for the Burn... It would take 10 nights at $3000 or $3000 in spend to earn around 10,000 star points. With Marriott I would be somewhere around 70K MR points with the current promo, 50K Marriott Points without.

So after $3000 in spend I have a free night at ANY Marriott world wide and mostly any Ritz Carlton, with Starwood I have 1 night in a category 4.

Can someone explain how SPG is a good program? I have not received any special recognition or elite benefits I do not get at Marriott. I am missing the whole appeal to SPG other than maybe their Amex card.
Old Apr 11, 18, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT

- Do not worry! Marriott will easily fix this with a new program by turning earn & burn at BOTH Marriott and SPG into the SAME new crappy rate and benefits. Then we will feel no difference.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 8:00 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I still remember the god ole days of when they had the free weekend nights promo. Those days are long dead.
schley likes this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Hopefully they keep Marriott's customer service which is best in the business. And yes, they let you change promotions! They have done it every time I have asked if they offer something else.
One program gives 2-4 cents per point on average, the other values their point at 0.9 cents on average.

Quality customer service starts with a company's own loyalty program... If your loyalty program stinks, so does your CS.
Old Apr 11, 18, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
One program gives 2-4 cents per point on average, the other values their point at 0.9 cents on average.

Quality customer service starts with a company's own loyalty program... If your loyalty program stinks, so does your CS.
Right but Marriott gives 5x the amount of points as Starwood.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I seem to repeat this every time the topic arises...

This analysis, along with most others based on "published" rates, or one specific stay, state that SPG earns 2-3 points per dollar.

My average over the last 2 years was slightly over 9 points per dollar.

If you have no status, no PLT amenity, don't choose Green Choice, don't register for promos, etc. (or use a specific one night stay with a poor promotion in this specific cycle), SPG is not going to look like an attractive program.

And yet they win Freddies and have very loyal customers. I wonder why that is.

I've published my actual PLT MR vs. PLT SPG analysis - actual dollar spend in stays to actual redemptions - and SPG looks slightly better. Plus, you can actually get a room with SPG (minor exceptions, blah, blah) vs. Marriott's No Blackouts = 1 room available at some time to the entire world (admittedly, it's improved). And a much higher upgrade rate, better CS, etc. I've been quite happy that others have stayed away due to the superficial "value calculations" that have been published.

Sadly, it's all coming to an end.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I seem to repeat this every time the topic arises...

This analysis, along with most others based on "published" rates, or one specific stay, state that SPG earns 2-3 points per dollar.

My average over the last 2 years was slightly over 9 points per dollar.

If you have no status, no PLT amenity, don't choose Green Choice, don't register for promos, etc. (or use a specific one night stay with a poor promotion in this specific cycle), SPG is not going to look like an attractive program.

And yet they win Freddies and have very loyal customers. I wonder why that is.

I've published my actual PLT MR vs. PLT SPG analysis - actual dollar spend in stays to actual redemptions - and SPG looks slightly better. Plus, you can actually get a room with SPG (minor exceptions, blah, blah) vs. Marriott's No Blackouts = 1 room available at some time to the entire world (admittedly, it's improved). And a much higher upgrade rate, better CS, etc. I've been quite happy that others have stayed away due to the superficial "value calculations" that have been published.

Sadly, it's all coming to an end.
Explain 9 points per dollar. PLEASE explain. There is no promo right now that gets me more than 3. I don't have their Credit card, but thats all moot since MArriott has a credit card too that grants extra points per dollar.

What promo can I sign up for to get me more than 3 points per dollar?
Old Apr 11, 18, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Explain 9 points per dollar. PLEASE explain. There is no promo right now that gets me more than 3. I don't have their Credit card, but thats all moot since MArriott has a credit card too that grants extra points per dollar.

What promo can I sign up for to get me more than 3 points per dollar?
First, it helps to make apples to apples comparisons, not apples to staplers. Not all Westins have lounges - I generally don't care if there is a lounge or not. There was probably a Sheraton you could have stayed it which would have gotten you free food. Next, as others have noted, don't blame Starwood for your promo.

I just did a $189 room night at a Sheraton. 2 points/$ base, 1 for Plat, 1 for P75, 2 for my AmEx, 500 points for Plat amenity (which comes out to 2.7 points/dollar). Ergo, 8.7, not dissimilar to CPRich.

Why not just stay at a Marriott? Sounds like you would have been a lot happier.
Statman likes this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 11:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
LOL. What an absurd post.
Statman likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: