Wiki Posts
Search

SPG status nights without in-person check-in

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:27 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lingua101
I am guessing you are not in China. Why not looking cheap hotel near your place or using points?
That's the best idea - check the SPG Hot Escapes (although this week was terrible with ~30 hotels only), or redeem for points. If you find a cheap rate for one night, reserve 3 rooms. Since you're doing it based on nights, you can reserve those 3 rooms for multiple days. If you were doing it based on stays, you would only get 1 stay for that hotel, even with 3 rooms.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by JackE
What would be the problem in letting us do that?
Just pause a moment and consider what would happen if SPG allowed everyone to become Platinum by booking 25 stays at the lowest cost hotel in the whole world and then not showing up.

The way it is now is like Macy*s forcing you walk into the store to buy something instead of letting you order online.
No, it’s really not. It’s more like Macy’s saying that if you’d like to go and buy the $29 suit from their rural China store instead of the the $199 suit in metro California, you’re most welcome to.
remymartin likes this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 8, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
What would be the problem in letting us do that? The way it is now is like Macy*s forcing you walk into the store to buy something instead of letting you order online.
The root desire of having a hotel loyalty program is to drive people to actually stay at their properties. If they only wanted those that were willing to throw money at them to get status then there would be no need for the properties in the first place. We look at the rules to see how we can bend them to our favor. Some properties are more strict about following them than others so that leaves an opportunity to gain status without having to go through all the pushups. Until someone cracks down, we will take what we can get. If someone would do an extensive study, we may find that hotel/airline programs are limited in their payback. Maybe going with a pure cashback program based upon actual spend has a much higher return. But since we each get to value the program benefits that meet our needs, there will be several programs to choose from.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Let me posit another scenario, which I think wouldn’t violate the SPG T&Cs. If I arrive in a city and discover that hotel room rates are low that week, could I book a room in every property, on the same night, drive around and check into each one and garner a bunch of stays? Is there anything (apart from my wallet) preventing me from benefiting from such a scheme?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Let me posit another scenario, which I think wouldn’t violate the SPG T&Cs. If I arrive in a city and discover that hotel room rates are low that week, could I book a room in every property, on the same night, drive around and check into each one and garner a bunch of stays? Is there anything (apart from my wallet) preventing me from benefiting from such a scheme?
By all means churn away. You will, however, only get stay/night credit and points for one of the stays according to the terms and conditions. It is unclear which of those stays post.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just pause a moment and consider what would happen if SPG allowed everyone to become Platinum by booking 25 stays at the lowest cost hotel in the whole world and then not showing up.
Here's what would happen if everyone in the world booked 25 stays without staying... OK first, that lowest cost hotel in China doesn't have enough room for everyone, so billions of people (you said everyone) would have to book at other properties. But there aren't enough properties for everyone, so SPG would have to build more and more. Everyone wins, given your assumption.

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
No, it’s really not. It’s more like Macy’s saying that if you’d like to go and buy the $29 suit from their rural China store instead of the the $199 suit in metro California, you’re most welcome to.
Except that in this analogy everyone is telling the China store not to ship the suit because they are not going to wear it. I'll bet Macy*s would gladly take those orders.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If they only wanted those that were willing to throw money at them to get status then there would be no need for the properties in the first place.
Except even if they allowed guests to remote book and no-show, they would ALSO want the old fashioned kind of guest. This is not about people booking 25 stays and never show up because there is no point in having status if you never visit a hotel. It's about someone topping off their account. It's also about how silly mattress runs are. Who benefits by making us walk into the room and spend the time to tussle it up to look slept in? Certainly not the housekeeper. Certainly not the environment. Certainly not us.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
What is allowed is to book 3 rooms at same hotel for one night and check in to all 3 rooms in person. You will get 3 stay/night credits as long as you pay for all 3 rooms. (China seems to be an outlier as they need 3 different passports for the 3 rooms. )
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
You'll only get credit for one property. You'd do better to book 3 rooms at one property; that way, you'd get 3 nights'/1 stay credit.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Except that in this analogy everyone is telling the China store not to ship the suit because they are not going to wear it. I'll bet Macy*s would gladly take those orders.
Not neessarily if there are tangible benefits that Macy's would have to give you for the product you're not using.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by itsallgood
You'll only get credit for one property. You'd do better to book 3 rooms at one property; that way, you'd get 3 nights'/1 stay credit.
That's incorrect. It's 3 nights/3 stay credits. Even better.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not neessarily if there are tangible benefits that Macy's would have to give you for the product you're not using.
Is this crap gonna continue???
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Absolute
That's the best idea - check the SPG Hot Escapes (although this week was terrible with ~30 hotels only), or redeem for points. If you find a cheap rate for one night, reserve 3 rooms. Since you're doing it based on nights, you can reserve those 3 rooms for multiple days. If you were doing it based on stays, you would only get 1 stay for that hotel, even with 3 rooms.
err I thought you will still get 3 stays?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:03 am

You would get 3 stays / 3 nights or if you stay longer than 1 night you would get 3 stays / nights (3xdays of your stay) .
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by Absolute
3 rooms is 3 stay as per my experiences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.