Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Was the 1:3 SPG:Marriott conversion rate too generous?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was the 1:3 SPG:Marriott conversion rate too generous?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
I'm thinking of staying at a cat 6 hotel in Maui in May of 2019.

For 7 nights the total Starpoints needed is 120,000. Which when tripled with the conversion would equal 360,000 points.

After the change in August a cat 6 hotel (off peak) would be 280,000 points.

So it sounds like I would be better off waiting for my 120,000 points to become 360,000 points and only use 280,000 of them.

Does this sound right to you?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wisdom

No. First of all, Category 6 in SPG is probably going to be Category 7 in the new Marriott system, potentially even 8.

Secondly, popular places like Hawaii are almost definitely going to have "peak" pricing year round.

Keep your reservation. Once all details are known, you can then decide what to do.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
No. First of all, Category 6 in SPG is probably going to be Category 7 in the new Marriott system, potentially even 8.

Secondly, popular places like Hawaii are almost definitely going to have "peak" pricing year round.

Keep your reservation. Once all details are known, you can then decide what to do.
Good Idea. Thank you
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I thought Marriott originally announced that hotels would only be allowed to have 50% of their dates as "peak" dates.

50% is a total joke for most hotels in most places, where "peak" is usually a short season or some specific dates each year. But in Hawaii, where there isn't really a huge off-peak period, 50% would be reasonable.

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds and whether they really honor the 50% mark for popular hotels.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Wisdom
I'm thinking of staying at a cat 6 hotel in Maui in May of 2019.

For 7 nights the total Starpoints needed is 120,000. Which when tripled with the conversion would equal 360,000 points.

After the change in August a cat 6 hotel (off peak) would be 280,000 points.

So it sounds like I would be better off waiting for my 120,000 points to become 360,000 points and only use 280,000 of them.

You could do the Ritz for that price right now or the Wailea Beach Resort for 240,000 too.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
I thought Marriott originally announced that hotels would only be allowed to have 50% of their dates as "peak" dates.

50% is a total joke for most hotels in most places, where "peak" is usually a short season or some specific dates each year. But in Hawaii, where there isn't really a huge off-peak period, 50% would be reasonable.

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds and whether they really honor the 50% mark for popular hotels.
I haven't seen or heard anything along those lines. Marriott have enough issues dealing with the transition to be worrying too much about 2019.

Even if it were introduced and enforced, I suspect that certain hotels would start playing around with standard room inventory. There are many places in the world where "peak" is 8-9 months long at least - Hawaii, New York, Miami, London, Paris, etc. - and hotels generally find a way to avoid things they really dislike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.