FOMO lifetime gold?

Old Mar 22, 18, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
FOMO lifetime gold?

So I think I have the case of FOMO, im going to hit 5 year mark for lifetime gold this year but im short on nights. I dont know if its worth it to spend $10,000 and nights away from home to reach lifetime. This whole fear comes out bc spg doesnt communicate better about time lines (sorry Lukers, no offense you guys are awesome and help a lot thank you). I know they dont know. I could probably hit it by next year without doing mattress runs. I have rearranged my stays this year and it'll help but I still need quite a few. Should I just take my chances when the new program comes or should I just suck it up and mattress run? Should I even think about this since this is lifetime gold and not even lifetime plat? I usually stay between spg and IHG. I like SPG better but IHG has more locations. I think my worst fear is that I will have to start over. Realistically I dont think i can justify the future savings to equate to the cost? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you
Old Mar 22, 18, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay View Post
I dont know if its worth it to spend $10,000 and nights away from home to reach lifetime.
Marriott hasn't announced qualification criteria for gold in the new combined loyalty program. It hasn't said that all current SPG lifetime golds will qualify. Nor has it announced benefits.
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:39 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I canít think of any hotel status, especially mid-tier, that Iíd spend $10k for.
Old Mar 22, 18, 11:16 am

Programs: SPG Plt
I'm in the same boat. However, I only need 20 nights to qualify for LTG but so far this year have only had 1 night with SPG. Even though it's so close I can smell it, I can't be motivated to spend the money for who knows what the return will be. If I was targetted for one of the SPG promos for bonus points etc. I probably would get off my butt and do it, but it's looking to me that I'm going to be stuck with a terminal diagnosis of FOMO.
Old Mar 22, 18, 1:22 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
SPG Gold is included with an American Express Platinum Card.

$10000 will pay your annual fee for 18 years (at current rate) 😛
Old Mar 22, 18, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
SPG Gold is included with an American Express Platinum Card.
For now...
Old Mar 22, 18, 3:57 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
As it is SPG Lifetime Gold isn't worth much because SPG Gold isn't worth much and there are quite a few other ways, some of them pretty easy, to earn SPG Gold on a year-by-year basis.

Marriott Gold is worth significantly more, but there's no guarantee that SPG Lifetime Gold will convert to Marriott Lifetime Gold -- I think we can all agree that considering the relative value of the two statuses, the current policy of matching annual SPG Gold to annual Marriott Gold is an overly generous move by Marriott, perhaps designed to earn them some goodwill with SPG loyalists. A more equivalent policy might be if they decide to match SPG Lifetime Gold to Marriott Lifetime Silver, which is more in line from a qualifications perspective. But like SPG Gold, Marriott Silver isn't worth very much.

So considering that, I would say it's not worth it to go out of your way to chase SPG Lifetime Gold. If you were 3 nights away or something then yes it might be worth the stretch, just in case. But not if it's going to be a huge investment.
Old Mar 22, 18, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
10K to get LTG is not worth it.
Old Mar 22, 18, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by dunno282 View Post
10K to get LTG is not worth it.
As a one-off and without necessity, no, agreed. Then again, what have we all paid over the years to get status ? 100 K plus?
For status alone itís not worth it but if it comes as a consequence of the need/desire to travel, and over a period of many years, then sure, it is worth it because in a way it is a free add-on to those necessary hotel stays.
Old Mar 22, 18, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Old Mar 22, 18, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and Im coming back to earth and im starting to agree with you guys. 10k isnt going to be worth it for mid tier, im going to just continue my stays at spg and see where the plans decide to go, no mattress runs. Im hoping that whatever they decide they will at least give us a chance to reach it after they communicate it. It really does suck to have FOMO but in this case I have to live with it. I do agree marriott gold is more valuable then spg gold and I really do appreciate that they offer gold to gold instead of gold to silver. THanks Marrwood
Old Mar 23, 18, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
$10K for Gold?

Does this go in one of the bugger threads?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 23, 18, 9:06 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
The biggest risk is that when the programs merge, maybe they say: SPG Lifetime Gold is grandfathered into Marriott Lifetime Gold, but going forward lifetime status will be earned under Marriott rules -- and Marriott current rules say that 250 lifetime nights (plus some other stuff) gets Lifetime Silver while 500 lifetime nights (plus some other stuff) gets Lifetime Gold. In that case, you'd be short of Lifetime Silver and would be a long way from Lifetime Gold.

So, that one particular scenario would kind of suck, and might be worth a bit of investment -- how much will vary by person, but I could imagine it might be worth $1k anyway? -- to lock in SPG lifetime gold status now. But even then I don't think it's worth anything like $10K, and Marriott may choose a different set of rules for how they treat lifetime status going forward that makes this hypothetical irrelevant anyway.
Old Mar 23, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
$10K for 9 stays (given that the thread creator already has one stay) is ridiculous?

Given that you're located in SJC, you can easily do some one-night stays in your vicinity for about 100$-110$ each, so LTG would cost you between 900$-1,000$. Still a debatable decision, but a whole different ballgame.
Old Mar 23, 18, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SunshineStay View Post
$10K for 9 stays (given that the thread creator already has one stay) is ridiculous?

Given that you're located in SJC, you can easily do some one-night stays in your vicinity for about 100$-110$ each, so LTG would cost you between 900$-1,000$. Still a debatable decision, but a whole different ballgame.
Not necessarily. If OP had achieved Gold with 25 nights per year for the previous 4 years (total 100 nights), he/she would be 150 nights short for LT Gold.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: