Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bonaventure vs JW Marriott LA Live

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador

As a plat..would have a 1 B Redondo or Tower Suite at the Westin and a J Suite at the JW. Any advice on which to pick? Is one hotel/room considerably nicer?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:08 am

JW would get my vote. JW is nicer (part of that being much newer) and also better located, especially you are there for an event at STAPLES Center.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by mrfussion
JW would get my vote. JW is nicer (part of that being much newer) and also better located, especially you are there for an event at STAPLES Center.
It pains me to say a Marriott is better than a Westin, but in this case I fully agree about the physical property being newer (bland, but new) and they have a decent lounge. Close proximity to Staples, Microsoft Theater, LA Convention Center, and all the restaurants at LA Live, etc. is a big plus too. Views might be a little better at the Westin as the JW occupies lower floors and the Ritz higher floors of their building.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:47 am

The JW is absolutely nicer. Newer, modern, bright and spacious feeling in public areas. It's also more central, unless your destinations are Skid Row and Little Tokyo. (Both perfectly fine areas these days.)

I always stay at the Bonaventure.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
all the restaurants at LA Live
All the chains you can find in an upscale shopping mall? The place depresses me. Fake corporate culture.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It pains me to say a Marriott is better than a Westin
This isn't Marriott vs. Westin...it's JW vs. Westin. JWs generally SHOULD be better than Westins.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
The place depresses me. Fake corporate culture.
Did you ever visit downtown L.A. before L.A. Live? It was a desert. I used to hate going to conventions there. Now I only dislike it.

I would also echo the JW over the Westin. The Bonaventure is a tired remnant of the architectural wasteland of the 70s. Though I do like the Border Grill across the street...

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This isn't Marriott vs. Westin...it's JW vs. Westin. JWs generally SHOULD be better than Westins.
Given the option, I would take the Courtyard or Residence Inn over the Bonaventure.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Did you ever visit downtown L.A. before L.A. Live?
I've known downtown LA since the mid-80s. There have been many positive changes over the past fifteen years or so, but IMO LA Live is not one of them.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:59 pm

I've known downtown LA since the mid-80s. There have been many positive changes over the past fifteen years or so, but IMO LA Live is not one of them.
And I have worked in DTLA (as it's now know) somewhere between 5 and 40 weeks a year since 1979. I agree. Heck, I would call the first grocery store (the Ralph's) a landmark event, because it made DTLA liveable. Before Ralph's, the streets were abandoned after 6:00PM. The subway was another landmark.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
All the chains you can find in an upscale shopping mall? The place depresses me. Fake corporate culture.
Agreed, but people who mostly stay at Marriott branded properties may find LA Live's restaurants safer.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Agreed, but people who mostly stay at Marriott branded properties may find LA Live's restaurants safer.
Don't be mean

I don't really like most of the restaurants around the LA Live but there are some good ones in DTLA. I happen to prefer reliable service levels at a hotel where I know they will almost always deliver on their promises but not a fan of chain restaurants.

That being said, unless you're booking the suites, they certainly aren't guaranteed at either for a plat. I think both of these properties will upgrade plats when suites are available. The Bonaventure certainly has the upgrade culture that those on this board like and always proactively upgrades me to a suite or is apologetic. The JW doesn'tr proactively upgrade me but always upgrades to a suite when I ask if it is available. I've had the upgrades you reference and other times not been upgraded. Between the two choices, the room furnishings at the JW are certainly better. The view at the Bonaventure is better as the JW suites look out on LA freeway life.

All in all, I'd go with the JW but don't know where you are going in LA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.