Wiki Posts
Search

No more water bottles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
For some reason they have replaced the complimentary water bottles at the Westin Capetown with a free litre of vodka.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
For some reason they have replaced the complimentary water bottles at the Westin Capetown with a free litre of vodka.
That sort of makes sense, given the water shortage.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by econ
No bottled water in the room at the Four Points SFO from a recent stay either. Placed a call to the front desk and it was delivered several minutes later.
Off topic, but I think the Four Points at SFO is a miserable hotel.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
It depends on the property. The Westin Whistler in BC doesn't have waterbottles anymore. every other SPG property I have been to does. There are also plenty of countries where I would absolutely not drink tap water, and if SPG wants to use this as a guise of "protecting the environment", then I will simply vote with my wallet.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:40 pm

Although water bottles are bad for the environment, SPG should probably still be offering them. I don't mind paying for them to offset the environmental costs, but yes there are many places I wouldn't want to drink the local water.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
If they feel like they have to offset the environmental costs, they should do it off the room rate we're already paying and not push yet another cost onto the customer. Otherwise you'll quickly notice that hotels will start charging usual hotel prices per bottle "cause of environment" which of course won't have anything to do with the actual environment but would turn into yet another way to rack up their profits.

Free water bottles as a brand standard should remain as they are.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
It depends on the property. The Westin Whistler in BC doesn't have waterbottles anymore. every other SPG property I have been to does. There are also plenty of countries where I would absolutely not drink tap water, and if SPG wants to use this as a guise of "protecting the environment", then I will simply vote with my wallet.
I thought Element, given their "eco-friendly" standards spurn bottled water?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Marriott Marquis Atlanta seems to be the latest victim. The change seems to have happened between February and now. The lounge had no bottled water. Front desk is supposedly bringing some up, we’ll see how long that takes. Last time I stay here with so many other choices in downtown Atlanta.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by puchong
Off topic, but I think the Four Points at SFO is a miserable hotel.
Yes it is. My 2 floor room started leaking water, and no one cared.

Also, sometimes they place water in the fridge (EnVue - Weehawken, NJ).
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:52 pm

Both Fairfields I stayed at in Rochester NY had bottled water, already cold in the fridge at no extra charge. I only used one bottle for the entire week, but it was a nice extra touch, especially at a limited-service property.

On the environmental side of things, I find the cheap plastic cups, wrapped in plastic to be a bigger waste. I often travel with or buy at my destination an $0.88 stemless wine glass from Walmart. Whether it be water, soda, or adult beverages, it's just the right size and feel for my liking at the end of the night.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Closing this thread as there is a current thread in the combined Marriott Bonvoy where discussion of free bottled water for elites can continue: No more free water for Platinum?
dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.