Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What is fair compensation for awful Sheraton experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)

Had a truly miserable stay at an airport Sheraton last night. Rate was about $200. This property is 7k SPG points per night and this is what the desk offered as compensation, but I would like to push for more if it's reasonable, largely due to the first issue. Here are the issues:

-No hot water at 7am - repeated calls to the front desk and was told "it will be just 5 more minutes". Not fixed nearly 40 minutes later.
-Because of the hot water issue, I ran late for my meeting and was not able to eat the pre-paid breakfast included in my room rate
-Room had two disgusting large stains on carpet
-Dirty towels provided in bathroom
-Broken shelf in bathroom
-Room window was filthy on the outside
-Broken room phone
-No recognition of SPG gold status upon check-in
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I doubt you'll get anything better than the 7K points (basically comping the night).
adunker and chrisboote like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:25 pm

Please name the property so we can see if these are consistent problems at this hotel.
D582 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
If they've comped the night, I would think that they've made things right.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:44 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Compensation that I have had has generally been consistent with 1 nights' stay in points; even for a multiple day stay for general service issues.

7,000 points can still be put to good use if you apply them right.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by woodford02A
Had a truly miserable stay at an airport Sheraton last night. Rate was about $200. This property is 7k SPG points per night and this is what the desk offered as compensation, but I would like to push for more if it's reasonable, largely due to the first issue. Here are the issues:

-No hot water at 7am - repeated calls to the front desk and was told "it will be just 5 more minutes". Not fixed nearly 40 minutes later.
-Because of the hot water issue, I ran late for my meeting and was not able to eat the pre-paid breakfast included in my room rate
-Broken room phone
I think the 1 night is fair unless you are a very regular guest at this property! Did you out of interest do any of the following:

Request room change when you saw the stain on the carpet?
Request new towels (if so how quickly were they provided?)
What recognition of Gold were you looking for? Did you request this when they did not actively recognise it?
The hot water, did you establish the reason for the failure?

As for the window being dirty on the outside I don't think this really adds anything to your complaint, not ideal but in the scheme of airport hotels not really a issue to demand compensation for or even increased compensation in my book?

To be fair I think 1 nights worth of points is reasonable and thats mainly the hot water side of things, which might have been a unexpected failure they had little control over but they still comped you the night from a points perspective! Looking for any more than this in my opinion makes it seem like you are mroe out just for a points grab than actually valid complaints. I dont think that is the case but I do feel thats the view the hotel and spg may take.

Finally, come on name the property so we can keep en eye out if its a regular offender and also be guarded if we go!
chrisboote likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I think one night's points is a reasonable offer.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Was the $200 your own money? Otherwise you should have been spending 7,000 points in the first place since you can buy them for $160 in the current 35% off promo...

But essentially comping a free night is as good as you're going to get. (plus mental note to never return to that specific hotel)
chrisboote likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by woodford02A

-Broken room phone
I think you should be entitled to more than just a refund, especially if it is impacting on your work schedule. It is simply unacceptable to make a paying customer put up with those conditions.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not sure any of these items would have even caused me to complain. On recent Asia trip, I had hot water issues at SGS, St. Regis Singapore, and (especially) Ritz HKG - didn't complain at any of them. And "No recognition of SPG gold status upon check-in"? Seriously? We're keeping track of that?

Free night is more than sufficient comp here IMO.
shutterbugguy and chrisboote like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I'm shocked you got an offer for 7k. Really your best avenue is to name and shame. Use the master thread on this site for the property, tripadviser, etc. Warn others.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Sounds like a standard us sheraton to me.
chrisboote and CrashDavis like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Reading the original post, I think the main problem you have is the hot water issue. The other stuff is annoying, but I can't imagine the hotel offering compensation for anything but the hot water issue. If they offered you the equivalent of a free night, then you should be very happy with that. I've had to take cold showers in hotels before, and wasn't offered compensation for it.

Complaining about the outside of the window being dirty. Seriously?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jeanie
Complaining about the outside of the window being dirty. Seriously?
Or the carpet stains. Or the broken room phone. Or the broken shelf.
shutterbugguy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The notion of free points may be an accepted practice, but who wants to use points to stay again in a subpar property? I get that the program points can be used at other hotels in the chain - meh. I've experienced lots of ups and downs with hotels, yet no hotel water is a pretty big deal. You generally aren't going to figure out the hot water doesn't work until the next morning - when you need to get up and go. I get that this is a pretty big complaint. And, as an aside, who cares whether it's "the hotel's fault" - who else would you expect to blame? Guarantee you that the hotel would be taking action against some outsider who disrupted their hot water supply.

My solution? You wanna comp the room? Great, how about a refund for the night?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.