Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What is fair compensation for awful Sheraton experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is fair compensation for awful Sheraton experience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
I wonder how many business travelers actually use hotel points? Probably most here, but we're an typical group. I mostly focus my attention on airline miles - not so much on hotel miles. I've got a ton of 'em for most of the chains, but it's not really a top of mind thing for me. I suspect it's the same for the average business traveler. So providing points when there is a service fail is kind of like giving you a voucher for a free dinner at that crappy restaurant where you didn't like the food. In other words, it doesn't cost the hotel much because those points will never be redeemed. Yet they still profited from the dollars you provided them for the subpar experience. If I were really upset (and it takes a lot to get me pissed) about the experience and the hotel wasn't providing what I considered fair compensation, I'd simply dispute the charge with the credit card company.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by danbrew
I wonder how many business travelers actually use hotel points? Probably most here, but we're an typical group. I mostly focus my attention on airline miles - not so much on hotel miles. I've got a ton of 'em for most of the chains, but it's not really a top of mind thing for me. I suspect it's the same for the average business traveler. So providing points when there is a service fail is kind of like giving you a voucher for a free dinner at that crappy restaurant where you didn't like the food. In other words, it doesn't cost the hotel much because those points will never be redeemed. Yet they still profited from the dollars you provided them for the subpar experience. If I were really upset (and it takes a lot to get me pissed) about the experience and the hotel wasn't providing what I considered fair compensation, I'd simply dispute the charge with the credit card company.
Wow, that's a strange perspective especially when it comes to SPG points which are probably the most versatile and valuable hotel points there are! BTW, those SPG points can be converted into most airline miles with a 25% bonus. Sounds like you are missing out.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by danbrew
In other words, it doesn't cost the hotel much because those points will never be redeemed.
The flaw in this logic is the hotel has to buy the points from SPG, so the property is out the money regardless of whether the points are redeemed. SPG itself is benefitted if the points aren't redeemed, but still has the underlying liability on its books until (if) the points expire.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
The property is Sheraton MIA airport

Is the best way to revisit this to contact the hotel directly or spg corporate ?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by woodford02A

Is the best way to revisit this to contact the hotel directly or spg corporate ?
thanks for naming the property, that helps other flyertalkers.
what are you hoping to achieve?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:11 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

the consensus here seems to be that the compensation is fair. How much do you think would be fair?
karenkay likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet

the consensus here seems to be that the compensation is fair. How much do you think would be fair?
If I was staying on my dime, then no way 7K, Id want a full refund unless I had better use for the7K. If the paid for breakfast was substanial then if I kept the pts Id want that portion refunded
Now I agree the only real issue is the no hot water, and I wouldnt bring up the other issues unless I had called them on the carpet for them once I saw them the previous night, otherwise my fault

If my stay was company paid then Id grab the 7K and move on

OP the whole part about compensation is in order to make the guest Whole and not to Profit from it, so decide which you want a $$ refund or the 7K, more of either you can forget about and frankly as others have already stated 7k for no hot water is a very fair offer
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

First hotel then corporate. That's the usual etiquette.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
As so many others have said, the hot water is the problem, the rest is just "piling on". The points deposit allows u to use the points anywhere you'd like; sounds like you'd not prefer to return to this one.

The equivalent amount of points for a comp room at that property is fair. The amount of points you're charged for a night is based on the (average)average rate of the hotel in question, meaning over a year, not just that particular night.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
personally I'd say that many points for just a problem with the hot water one morning is WELL above and beyond. The rest of the list of problems are pretty minor. Unless your idea of 'dirty windows' involve blood, brains and crime scene tape, those are no biggies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.