Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What is fair compensation for awful Sheraton experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is fair compensation for awful Sheraton experience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by danbrew
My solution? You wanna comp the room? Great, how about a refund for the night?
Points in lieu of a monetary refund is standard operating procedure for hotels with many business travelers. Refunding the money benefits the company paying the bill, not the traveler who experienced the problem.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by danbrew
The notion of free points may be an accepted practice, but who wants to use points to stay again in a subpar property? I get that the program points can be used at other hotels in the chain
I don't think you do get that. You have thousands of properties to choose from.
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The first thing is for OP to post the name of the property. There may be other experiences with that property by others and OP may find that it routinely gives 10K to those who whine to a manager.

So, post the name and then have the discussion.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I would expect 10,000 points at a minimum. The hot water is really the main argument.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Agree with the others, that 7k (one free night) seems like a very reasonable response to the issues described. Unless the property has a repeated history of faulty water heaters, you need to chalk it up to stuff happens. If they have a repeated history, and its clear that they are avoiding the expense in fixing the water heater, then something more punitive may be called for.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:18 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I’m in the 7K is reasonable camp. We’ve all been there, no hot water I mean, it sucks but it should result in a quick shower. I hate being late to a meeting so I would have done the sponge bath thing and moved on, had breakfast and gone to my meeting. I’d think twice about staying at the same property again however.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
7k points sounds reasonable....sounds like a typical airport sheraton....i've come across such problems at multiple old airport properties....just take the points & move on....
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Really? A full refund worth of points just for not having hot water? I'd say you're lucky you got that much. It's really not the hotel's fault you were late for your meeting-- you knew what time it was when you chose to wait for the water, and the professional thing to do for a business meeting would be to just suck it up and take a cold shower once it was clear you had no time left to wait. That part is really on you. Sure, the hotel might toss in a few points for the cold shower, but you're lucky they even gave you a full night.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
If I am paying 200 a night for a hotel room. I would expect the hotel to have hot water. This has nothing to do with sucking it up.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I agree that the 7k seems like reasonable compensation here. Maybe refund the difference in price for the pre-paid breakfast. But, if it was me, I'm not sure how much time I'd spend pushing for that. I'd probably take the 7k and move on.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by r415
Really? A full refund worth of points just for not having hot water? I'd say you're lucky you got that much. It's really not the hotel's fault you were late for your meeting-- you knew what time it was when you chose to wait for the water, and the professional thing to do for a business meeting would be to just suck it up and take a cold shower once it was clear you had no time left to wait. That part is really on you. Sure, the hotel might toss in a few points for the cold shower, but you're lucky they even gave you a full night.
I find your response a bit surprising. Hot water should is an expectation in a Sheraton, period.

Your response reminds me of a recent email chain with the FDM of the Sheraton Chihuahua, who thanked me for my loyalty and after 3 back and forth emails, offered 500 Starpoints for my inconvenience.

Needless to say, I opened a CCS file to have the issue addressed and some retraining. The property never bothered to reply even to Starwood and as a result...5K Starpoints charged to the property as compensation plus a little more thrown in my the Starwood Plat Supervisor. I would have been fine with 2K Starpoints, but the property played games and was stingy so...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by tfong007
If I am paying 200 a night for a hotel room. I would expect the hotel to have hot water.
Well yes, hot water Is a basic expectation at a hotel but it can fail, irrespective of the cost of the room.

We’re discusing what is reasonable recompense when it does fail.

It’s not quite clear to me how or why the lack of hot water caused the OP to miss their breakfast and also be late for their business meeting, so thats an open discussion point too.
cawhite and minz56 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Well yes, hot water Is a basic expectation at a hotel but it can fail, irrespective of the cost of the room.

It’s not quite clear to me how or why the lack of hot water caused the OP to miss their breakfast and also be late for their business meeting, so thats an open discussion point too.
Huh? OP was being strung along by the hotel as to the timing of the hot water returning.
I would have cut my losses and simply moved along or sucked it up with the cold water.
But still, hot water should work. Not working and the hotel not having its act together to provide an explanation ... 7K points seems reasonable.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:10 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

If the hotel keeps telling me 5 more minutes I may wait and wait and eventually run out of time to eat breakfast and arrive late to my meeting.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet

If the hotel keeps telling me 5 more minutes I may wait and wait and eventually run out of time to eat breakfast and arrive late to my meeting.
Presumably, you should be able to determine the latest possible time at which you can still eat breakfast and make your meeting on time. One would think a rational actor would, regardless of how many times the hotel said 5 more minutes, stop waiting and go eat breakfast at said time (and/or take a cold shower), so you would not be late for your meeting. If you need to leave by 6:30, it really doesn't matter the hotel says hot water will be ready at 6:35, even though it's only five minutes later, you still must leave by 6:30 to make it on time. If you choose not to, then you shouldn't be surprised that you are going to be late. The cold water is the hotel's fault, but your failure to leave when you're supposed to is certainly not. It's not like the hotel tricked you and reset all the clocks to be five minutes slow.

If you want to get really crazy, you could actually go eat breakfast while you are waiting for the water to be fixed...

Don't get me wrong, the lack of hot water is annoying/not what you paid for and there should be some compensation, but in what universe is it fair to blame the hotel for you being late for your meeting, because you chose not to leave on time? This reminds me of those drivers you see in Los Angeles who think it's perfectly acceptable to, from the right hand turn lane, get all the way into the intersection, stop in the intersection, and then suddenly decide they have to turn LEFT across four lanes of traffic, rather than just going around the block like a normal person, because they don't want to accept responsibility for not getting in the correct lane to start with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.