Wiki Posts
Search

Remote Hotels near US

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Remote Hotels near US

My fiancé and I stayed at the W Vieques Island last year for a week and loved how close it was to the US (less than 5 hours from home, Chicago) but also felt remote (having to take a small prop plane to the island).

Wondering if there are any other SPG properties similar to this near the US we could book a week at this summer. Looking at the carribean or Hawaii, she loves the beach but open to other options as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
My fiancé and I stayed at the W Vieques Island last year for a week and loved how close it was to the US ....
I assume that you mean the continental U.S., -- Vieques is in the U.S.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:23 am

Check out the Hacienda properties around Merida, Mexico - they feel very rural, and they're great properties.
SanDiego1K and paytonc like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The Equinox in Vermont might qualify, though I wouldn't spend a full week there
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal is only a four-hour flight from DFW and still in the Central time zone so no jet-lag. Another benefit: it's an all-inclusive!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

St Regis Punta Mita is a gorgeous property about an hour's drive north of Puerto Vallarta. There's a small town just before turning into the resort area that has a number of good restaurants besides those onsite.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you excluding Canada?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Not excluding Canada by any means just trying to focus on beach destinations.

Thanks for the suggestions of the St. Regis Punta Mita. I was actually just looking at the W Punta Mita. I’ve stayed at many W’s and enjoy them but have never been to a St. Regis.

It’s a dramatic difference in service and experience? The week I am looking at the St. Regis is only $10-$15 more per night.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It’s a dramatic difference in service and experience?
The experience will be the polar opposite of the W, so it's very personal which one you would prefer.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
St. Regis Punta Mita is one of my favorites. If it’s in your price range, I would definitely recommend it. It is both remote and fabulous.
Last time I was there, so was the President of Mexico. He ate up all the suites, and my SNA’s were returned to my account.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

That’s what I was leaning towards and applying some SNAs as well. Just found a design hotel on the island of Grenada though. Looks pretty neat. Anyone been there or heard anything about it, it’s called Laluna.

I need to look at what the platinum benefits are at design hotels if there are any, I remember they’re restricted.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Check out the Hacienda properties around Merida, Mexico - they feel very rural, and they're great properties.
The haciendas can feel very remote and offer some excellent exploring opportunities, including Uxmal and cenotes.. Plus, with non-stops into MID from ATL, MIA, IAH and MEX, lots of major U.S. airports will have competition on 2-segment routings.

Search term 'hacienda' finds a long and detailed thread.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
My list (places I have stayed at and can recommend)

The Equinox (Great place no beach)
St. Regis Punta Mita
Powerscourt Hotel (Marriott Autograph Collection) Ireland
Schloss Fuschl (it is in Austria but it has a lake beach) nice place

Booked but yet stayed

Hacienda Santa Rosa (Mexico)
Hotel Punta Islita (Autograph Collection -- Costa Rica)

On my bucket list

Scrub Island (Autograph collection)
W Vieques Island
W Punta Mita

Missed this one (not longer a hotel but a private lodge) was booked and it got sold

kessler Canyon, Marriott Autograph Collection
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
St Regis Punta Mita is a gorgeous property about an hour's drive north of Puerto Vallarta. There's a small town just before turning into the resort area that has a number of good restaurants besides those onsite.
I stayed there for five days a few years ago. Everything is lovely; but somehow, the hotel just didn't do it for me. I much preferred the RC Naples resort (beach, not golf), now sort of part of SPG through Marriott hookup. I went to this great hotel for the last week in October for something like eight consecutive years.

Thanks for the suggestions of the St. Regis Punta Mita. I was actually just looking at the W Punta Mita. I’ve stayed at many W’s and enjoy them but have never been to a St. Regis.
I would imagine that Punta Mita is going to be quite, and possibly uncomfortably, hot during the summer.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Not Remote but the Westin Grand Cayman has a great beach.
Westin Blue Mountain Ontario or Westin MT Tremblant are woodsy places

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.