Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2018 SPG Category Changes (eff 6 Mar) & Booking Window Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 SPG Category Changes (eff 6 Mar) & Booking Window Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Bump : Final day to book at the old rates.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Bump : Final day to book at the old rates.
Thanks very much for that.However, I just tried to book four different hotels (on 3 separate continents) which are going up with their award point requirements effective tomorrow, and for all of them I am unable to make an award booking online but am being asked to call them. Which I cannot do since I have to call them using skype and spend far too much time on the phone, repeating everything two or three times. Not a happy camper.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Just missed a nice (and cheap) holiday at Sheraton Rhodes that went up from cat 3 to cat 4, during the night (GMT +1)
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Good news.

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit still remains at cat 4. (2.06pm on 3/6/2018 Local time)
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Hmm, fourpoint Seoul still showing as cat 3 instead of 2. Shall check again tomorrow, but then Korea is already 6th of March
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:36 am

Sheraton Jagdhof didn't change either from 3 down to 2
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just booked 3 nights at the le méridien abu dhabi which went from a cat 3 to 2....
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:12 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by thomasito
Sheraton Jagdhof didn't change either from 3 down to 2
Yeah, pretty disappointing...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Just noticed this thread now after attempting to book the Westin Whistler (which went up in Category today).

Was talking to the Platinum concierge last night and no mention of the change. Went to book in the morning and it went from 12000 to 20000 points. Kind of disappointed that there was no mention from the Platinum Concierge last night - it would have been incredibly useful to highlight this, as I would have booked immediately. Feature request to help out future members

The concierge this morning said members were notified by email but I have no record of that.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Originally Posted by cln
Yeah, pretty disappointing...
Funny, I was waiting on this one too.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Funny, I was waiting on this one too.
A lot of us were. Every year, there are some "too good to be true" ones that don't materialize. I wonder why they end up on the list in the first place. Of course sometimes these errors work in our favor, e.g., when Schloss Fuschl erroneously dropped to Cat 5 for a few days some years back.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Does one automatically get a refund if a property went down in category and the reservation was made at the higher rate? What's odd is that everything online, including my confirmation page, shows the room booked at the lower rate (10k/night) despite me having paid 16k/night prior to the category change. Luckily I still have my email confirmation but not sure if I need to be calling in or what.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Does one automatically get a refund if a property went down in category and the reservation was made at the higher rate? What's odd is that everything online, including my confirmation page, shows the room booked at the lower rate (10k/night) despite me having paid 16k/night prior to the category change. Luckily I still have my email confirmation but not sure if I need to be calling in or what.
No, you need to cancel and rebook. The hotel will get reimbursed at the new rate regardless of if the category goes up or down but you will hold the original rate unless you make a change.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Glad to see Le Meridien Seoul go down a level but shocked to see StR become a Cat. 7.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Big thanks for the historical spreadsheet reference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.