Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels switching from Coke to Pepsi products as a result of Marriott merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood hotels switching from Coke to Pepsi products as a result of Marriott merger

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by McGowan06
I noticed the same at Sheraton Grand Chicago tonight and was told that switch happened within the last month as part of the Marriott acquisition.
It was Coke still at the end of Jan when I was there so a very recebt change indeed
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Still Coke at Prince Gallery Koicho Tokyo as well.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
We will see what will happening in europe...
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by alphaod
It's okay. I usually buy a case of Dasani for $5 before I arrive at the hotel anyways.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get it directly from the tap?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes. I don't get the need to buy water with a brand on it either.

I confirmed with room service last night that they switched to Pepsi last month, due to Marriott's contracts.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:07 am

Westin Cozumel - switch to Pepsi, I go to market and bring CocaCola.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get it directly from the tap?
Not when you've been to many places with questionable tap water. Even when I boil water for tea I use the bottled water.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:37 pm

We was at Westin Lagunamar Cancun they don't give hotel guest any bottled water, when I ask about bottled water answer was it is save to drink water directly from the tap but they use so much chlorine in water that the taste of tea or coffee is terrible.
We use bottled water from supermarkt.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:49 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Hate everything about Marriott so much - but having greater access to the liquid heaven that is Pepsi Max may be the first step towards detente.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
I wonder how this whole nonsense started, where the beverage companies had enough leverage to enforce the "ours or theirs, but not both" rule...

GC
Folklore has it that at a low time for Marriott, financially, Mr. Marriott approached the CEO of Coca-Cola, about something in the financial realm, to help Marriott ride the tide. Allegedly, the CEO of Coca-Cola, said, "no" to Mr. Marriott's request of Coca-Cola. Mr. Marriott, being the brilliant businessman that he is, said OK, Mr. Coca-Cola, Coke products will be moved out of Marriott Hotels, and will be replaced with Pepsi products.

Imagine that financial loss to Coca-Cola. Now, in the current tense, Marriott takes their message to Coca-Cola, one step further, and Coke products are moved out of Starwood Hotels, allegedly to be replaced by Pepsi products.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I wonder what happens when Pepsi pisses him off? RC Cola?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Dr. Pepper?

Root beer might be a change I like.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:59 pm

I noticed the water change a few weeks ago and thought it was a one off in a low end hotel. Saw it at another location this weekend and learned about the alignment with the Marriott contract when I asked about the switch. Not a soda drinker, but I do drink a lot of water and don't like the taste of Aquafina.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan
Folklore has it that at a low time for Marriott, financially, Mr. Marriott approached the CEO of Coca-Cola, about something in the financial realm, to help Marriott ride the tide. Allegedly, the CEO of Coca-Cola, said, "no" to Mr. Marriott's request of Coca-Cola. Mr. Marriott, being the brilliant businessman that he is, said OK, Mr. Coca-Cola, Coke products will be moved out of Marriott Hotels, and will be replaced with Pepsi products.

Imagine that financial loss to Coca-Cola. Now, in the current tense, Marriott takes their message to Coca-Cola, one step further, and Coke products are moved out of Starwood Hotels, allegedly to be replaced by Pepsi products.
I wouldn't call it "folklore...." Coke said no to a large (for the time) loan on favorable terms. https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.70b7ddc4849b

Marriott, btw, began as an A&W root beer stand. No caffeine, as befitting the Mormon family.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by chad75
Hate everything about Marriott so much - but having greater access to the liquid heaven that is Pepsi Max may be the first step towards detente.
Ew! Start drinking coke zero (or cherry coke zero!) Pepsi Max is sludge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.