Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG: I pay 10,000 SPG points, SPG pays hotel $55.00 USD

Old Jan 30, 18, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

I'm sure the relationship between SPG and Starwood Hotels evolves around lots of give and take. I imagine both SPG and Starwood Hotels bring something to the table. But, boy, was I surprised to see on my Folio that my 10,000 SPG Point (hotel) redemption, got the hotel $55.00 from SPG.

Now I understand why so many hotels have tried to manipulate Starwood's promise of no capacity controls on standard guest rooms, by adding an upgraded lamp and couch, and calling the room a Deluxe Room, so that the Deluxe Rooms are outside of the hotel's complement of standard guest rooms. The last place that I can remember seeing a hotel push this scheme to the limit, was the Sheraton hotel in Parsippany, New Jersey.
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan View Post
I'm sure the relationship between SPG and Starwood Hotels evolves around lots of give and take. I imagine both SPG and Starwood Hotels bring something to the table. But, boy, was I surprised to see on my Folio that my 10,000 SPG Point (hotel) redemption, got the hotel $55.00 from SPG.

Now I understand why so many hotels have tried to manipulate Starwood's promise of no capacity controls on standard guest rooms, by adding an upgraded lamp and couch, and calling the room a Deluxe Room, so that the Deluxe Rooms are outside of the hotel's complement of standard guest rooms. The last place that I can remember seeing a hotel push this scheme to the limit, was the Sheraton hotel in Parsippany, New Jersey.
If the hotel is at 98% occupancy, the hotel is getting a lot more than the $55.
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
If the hotel is closer to capacity, they get significantly more. When the hotel is mostly vacant, even that $55 is worth it.
blahmeh14 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:28 pm

Another interesting data point will be how much the hotel pays SPG for the starpoints.
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by myko85 View Post
Another interesting data point will be how much the hotel pays SPG for the starpoints.
I suspect the management contract doesn't break it down that way.
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:10 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
I think the best value for any hotel chain loyalty program points is when you convert their points to airline miles. Just my personal opinion.
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:23 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by myko85 View Post
They pay one cent I was already told this a few times ( this is why I always ask for star points if they offer me cash.
Old Jan 31, 18, 3:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I surprised to see on my Folio that my 10,000 SPG Point (hotel) redemption, got the hotel $55.00 from SPG.
Just for comparison purposes, what was the cash rate on the date of your redemption stay ?
Old Jan 31, 18, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Sounds totally fair to me: I would expect a room at a Cat 4 room (outside NY, SF, Boston, etc) to go for ~$150 most nights, less so in other countries. Not bad for a room which might have otherwise gone unsold.
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
I paid 20000 points at a luxury collection last week and it equated to roughly 140 euros. Ouch
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
I think the best value for any hotel chain loyalty program points is when you convert their points to airline miles. Just my personal opinion.
whhaaatttt ?
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

IHG properties get around $25, the HI / HIX / type, the upper scale brands get marginally more. Less than $55 I believe
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
I paid 20000 points at a luxury collection last week and it equated to roughly 140 euros. Ouch
Not too hard in low season:

Old Jan 31, 18, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

You're coming at this the wrong way from the point of economic analysis: some revenue is better than none. Lucky is the hotel with 100% paid occupancy night after night! The marginal cost of an award guest is pretty low, even where elite benefits are due.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......was I surprised to see on my Folio that my 10,000 SPG Point (hotel) redemption, got the hotel $55.00 from SPG......
If the hotel is not close to full, $55 is better than zero. If hotel is close to full, they get paid average room rate for that night. It is not a fixed conversion rate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: