Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG: I pay 10,000 SPG points, SPG pays hotel $55.00 USD

SPG: I pay 10,000 SPG points, SPG pays hotel $55.00 USD

Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its not the reimbursement value that hotel needs but spg marketing power when you book paid stays... in order to earn those 10k points you spent a few grand at spg hotels.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
As someone else posted, it is tiered based on occupancy. At low occupancy and with near zero marginal cost, literally $20 is better than leaving the room empty for the night. Also consider that a good number of guests opt to pay for additional services that wouldn't get captured by an empty room. Food, parking/spa (where applicable), etc. I was told by an SPG sales rep that at higher occupancy (> 80% I think) the hotel gets reimbursed at a rate that is the average of sold rooms for that night.

Not the only reason, but the reimbursement rate is one of the things we have to thank for resort fees. Vacation properties see higher incidence of point redemptions and use the fees for revenue capture.

As to what the hotels pay for points, I think it's less than $0.01. I say this because you can use points to pay your folio at a rate of 75 per $1. It doesn't make sense that they would be giving away more points per dollar than they take back in.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by RafKa
Not too hard in low season
I don't think the reaction was to being able to find such a pair of options. It was to actually paying the points when given the two.

And to pile on - an empty room earns a lot less than $55/night.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:59 am
Used to be highman123

The hotel development business plans usually call for rates between $55-$90/night to break even (albeit at high occupancy). So if you see hotel rates higher than that it is basically a sign that some hotels have pricing power (usually because of a brand). Anything on top of these rates is 'pure profit' (again at high occupancy).

$55 is likely what a lot of folks pay at many hotels (airline employees, government employees, chain employees). So $55 isn't an unusual rate for many hotels.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I paid 20000 points at a luxury collection last week and it equated to roughly 140 euros. Ouch
Sometimes one just needs to pay cash on vacation / on a personal stay, no matter how hard that may be...
controller1 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by azeckel
As someone else posted, it is tiered based on occupancy. At low occupancy and with near zero marginal cost, literally $20 is better than leaving the room empty for the night.
Is it though? I've occasionally wondered what the cost is to the hotel to turn over a room in terms of labor, utilities used, supplies, amortized wear and tear, etc. and this gave me an excuse to Google it.

One sample result:

The Cost of a Filled Room / Bill Geoghegan

This quotes anywhere from $15 to $50 depending on the property, another says $12-$75, understanding that these are all sort of hand-wavy numbers that depend on a lot of factors that can be specific to locale/market and so on.

So below some price point they actually do lose less by leaving the room vacant.

The linked page does echo the other point you brought up:

Originally Posted by azeckel
Also consider that a good number of guests opt to pay for additional services that wouldn't get captured by an empty room. Food, parking/spa (where applicable), etc.
Anyway this kinda stuff can be interesting sometimes
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by RafKa
Not too hard in low season:

I was at the Hotel Grand Bretagne. It was far more than that /night.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:51 am

I own a hotel room at a Hyatt and a Waldorf Astoria. I get paid about 40% of the room rate when someone rents out the room (not including tax or resort fees) When someone books the room with points, I get paid 40% of $99. I would guess that means the hotel gets $99 for the points.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:36 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
When transferred to the right programs for the right premium edemptions, they can be valuable, but don't ignore the 5th night free on awards combined with the ability to use during peak periods. For example, over New Year's eve in Sydney and in a prime convention hotel during SXSW in Austin. I'm talking 12 cents a point value....

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I think the best value for any hotel chain loyalty program points is when you convert their points to airline miles. Just my personal opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.