Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No AARP any more?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
AARP allows entry at 50...
They no longer have an age limit. They'll take money from anyone. Even before they made that change, you could have gotten an "associate membership" at any age.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Likely so. And Marriott does offer a discount for seniors. Senior Travel & Hotel Discounts Marriott

AARP allows entry at 50... that's not a senior, it's middle-age.
I’ve checked a few rates for European properties and it seems that Marriott usually, if not always, offers a seniors rate that is close to the best pre-paid rate ( offered to anyone 62+ but not to AARP @ 50+)
In my observation it has been rare to see SPG senior/AARP at anything close to the cheapest pre-paid, to the extent that I’d more or less stopped bothering to check it. But recently wanted to book something in Stockholm and stumbled across the senior/AARP rate at €50 lower than pre-paid, Given that it’s fully flexible it was a no-brainer to go for that,
So maybe SPG is flirting with the Marriott style genuine senior discount; on the other hand perhaps it’s just the Swedes being more generous to seniors; either way I’ll happily take it,

Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by paolo64
In my observation it has been rare to see SPG senior/AARP at anything close to the cheapest pre-paid
It's property-dependent. I frequently see the (refundable) senior rate lower then the prepaid rate, but AAA is still usually even less.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:46 pm

I'm booking SPG hotels in Hamburg and Frankfurt and in both cases, the AAA rate is more than the Senior rate. The difference over the combined nights is around $100, so it's not huge, but not a pittance, either. I am old enough for AARP, but not the senior rate, so it's AAA for now. I've had several stays where the best rate was the AARP rate. Glad I enjoyed it while I could!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by AVSA
(Sorry if that has been already mentioned somewhere else - the search has not yield anything)

I tried to book a number of stays (US, Canada, Europe) using "AARP" rate. There is no such option any more - just "senior rate". The AARP rate used to be offered to those who are "over 60 years old or AARP members". The senior rate is offered for only to those who are over 62, the AARP membership discount seems to vanish.

Is that an enchantment?
Just had a call with SPG, the rate still exist:
Do you have AARP/senior rates?
Also for Marriott: https://www.marriott.com/specials/senior/default.mi

I just became 62 so I think its nice, though it used to e 60 years. But Marriott changed it for Starwood to 62 years......
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by claes059
Just had a call with SPG, the rate still exist:
Do you have AARP/senior rates?
Also for Marriott: https://www.marriott.com/specials/senior/default.mi

I just became 62 so I think its nice, though it used to e 60 years. But Marriott changed it for Starwood to 62 years......
Actually the SPG AARP rate had no age restriction on it. It only required AARP membership. So going from no age restriction to 62 is a big downgrade for those under the age of 62.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by controller1
Actually the SPG AARP rate had no age restriction on it. It only required AARP membership. So going from no age restriction to 62 is a big downgrade for those under the age of 62.
Its really a big downgrade....... and as a SPG lifetime Gold I am not happy with the merger with Marriott....
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, does seem they have eliminated the AARP rates although Do you have AARP/senior rates? says they do and even take you to a specific website to search for AARP rates but only returns Senior. These subtle devaluations are sneaking into the system. It's where you have to look at all the details all the time since you can't count on what used to be still being the case. Part of the travel defensively tactic.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, does seem they have eliminated the AARP rates although Do you have AARP/senior rates? says they do and even take you to a specific website to search for AARP rates but only returns Senior. These subtle devaluations are sneaking into the system. It's where you have to look at all the details all the time since you can't count on what used to be still being the case. Part of the travel defensively tactic.
Yes, the partnership has been dissolved. Previously, Starwood was shown as a partner on the AARP website. Not anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.