Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No AARP any more?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by karenkay
I've noticed this as well...bummer, as I'm not over 62, but enjoy AARP status and the accompanying discount.

I'm pretty sure I booked--at an SPG property--the 'senior' rate a week or two ago as it was the cheapest available and wasn't challenged on it, FYI.
AARP status? Are you silver or platinum?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hair color?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Hair color?
lol, not silver haired, guess I should have said I enjoy AARP membership.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Hair color?
Exactly.
karenkay likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by karenkay

lol, not silver haired, guess I should have said I enjoy AARP membership.
Exactly.
- I'm an AARP member and I don't believe there are silver or platinum levels of status in AARP.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
They had to pay AARP or at least that’s usually the case, same with AAA.
Huh? They can't just say, "Show your AARP card and get a 10% discount!" They have to pay AARP for the right to do that? There must be more to the story.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:14 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Jase415
I think this is a merger standardization — if I remember right, Marriott has always had a senior rate but not an AARP rate that wasn’t based on age. So now Starwood is the same. Too bad, since I got some good use from the AARP rate in the past. It didn’t always have the lowest price, but often it would not require a deposit when other rates did, which was helpful when my plans weren’t firm.
​​​​​​​I can confirm that this is the case. My ambassador told me they are standardising rates across the brands.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by uxb
​​​​​​​I can confirm that this is the case. My ambassador told me they are standardising rates across the brands.
finding way fewer uses of promo codes too -i've been poaying around with p4c/pbc/m3d in various cities various times of the year and can't seem to get any dates to show up, even if i go through the promo from starwoods website
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:08 pm

'Standardization' or 'enhancement' - regardless of language, Marriott's takeover has been anything but enchanting(hat tip to the OP). Not only did they get rid of AARP and various hitherto useful SET codes, they also put the kibosh on Travel Agent bookings, which means I have to pay more for using my TA.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:38 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
finding way fewer uses of promo codes too -i've been poaying around with p4c/pbc/m3d in various cities various times of the year and can't seem to get any dates to show up, even if i go through the promo from starwoods website
I’m not familiar with any of those codes. I’m assuming they are Marriott codes.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
It appears to have ended on 31-Dec 2016.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...AARP_PROMOTION
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by small ring
It appears to have ended on 31-Dec 2016.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...AARP_PROMOTION
Regardless of what an old web page says, the AARP rate was available for booking into at least December 2017.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by puchong
'Standardization' or 'enhancement' - regardless of language, Marriott's takeover has been anything but enchanting(hat tip to the OP). Not only did they get rid of AARP and various hitherto useful SET codes, they also put the kibosh on Travel Agent bookings, which means I have to pay more for using my TA.
+ 1

And perhaps its a bias, but I'd think Marriott's customer base skews older and they would have a fantastic relationship with AARP.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
+ 1

And perhaps its a bias, but I'd think Marriott's customer base skews older and they would have a fantastic relationship with AARP.
Likely so. And Marriott does offer a discount for seniors. Senior Travel & Hotel Discounts | Marriott

AARP allows entry at 50... that's not a senior, it's middle-age.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
+ 1

For the right amount of $$$$ most corporations can have a fantastic relationship with AARP and I imagine that is the reason Marriott no longer has a relationship with AARP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.