Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Should SPG provide grace period to make status?

Should SPG provide grace period to make status?

Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I also vote no.
Agreed. The only possible exception is if you had an unfortunate life event (one that you don't make up, and don't try and replicate later) after years of loyalty, and you contact the program directly and privately regarding the matter. I've done it twice. Once with a particular airline, and once with a particular hotel program, after very specific unfortunate experiences. The airline situation was about 17 years ago, and the hotel, about 14 years ago. I made the requests. The programs granted them. I've never asked again.

But 72 v 75 nights? I'd have made a December weekend trip to Pleasanton to check into my 3 hotel rooms, reassuring the agent that it isn't important that the rooms be near each other.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Advantage Marriott - more likely then not to extend P even without asking/begging

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Hi folks,
This year I tried to make SPG75 but ended up SPG72. Wrote to SPG and was coldly denied grace period to make up the 3 nights needed to make SPG75.
I'm not pulling DYKWIA nor expect corporation to kowtow to everyone that's *almost* made it. But just want to hear some of your valuable opinions. Should companies such as SPG be more lenient and offer short grace periods for people that almost made it up another tier, or should they stick by the rule to the letter and tough and tough?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:27 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
But 72 v 75 nights? I'd have made a December weekend trip to Pleasanton to check into my 3 hotel rooms, reassuring the agent that it isn't important that the rooms be near each other.
+1, I've supplemented my stays with single or multi room bookings at the end of the year....in my hometown... just to keep status.

I also vote no, if you knew you were going to be short, it was your call not to get those extra 3 nights.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Like any other criteria, no I don't think a grace period is reasonable.

In fact whenever a company devalues their program to make it easier for others to meet certain criteria, decreases my incentive a bit to stay loyal.

That said if you can somehow convince SPG to give you extra time for those three nights, props to you, but don't feel entitled to it. That said, it's a bit late now?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Advantage Marriott - more likely then not to extend P even without asking/begging

OP is still Platinum in case you missed it
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Hi folks,
This year I tried to make SPG75 but ended up SPG72. Wrote to SPG and was coldly denied grace period to make up the 3 nights needed to make SPG75.
I'm not pulling DYKWIA nor expect corporation to kowtow to everyone that's *almost* made it. But just want to hear some of your valuable opinions. Should companies such as SPG be more lenient and offer short grace periods for people that almost made it up another tier, or should they stick by the rule to the letter and tough and tough?
I am not in favor of an official policy. I can see them granting limited exceptions but not an official grace period.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by neo_781
I am not in favor of an official policy. I can see them granting limited exceptions but not an official grace period.
Thank you for your comment. I started this thread really just curious how veteran businessmen think about this, and your opinion is valuable. Thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Doesn’t the 5 extra nights credit at SPG50 count if you chose that? Also there was a double nights / stays promotion for Q4 last year so I guess this shows SPG already offer opportunities. If you’re in HK you could have found a cheap hotel over the border or even Ovolo and booked 3 rooms. Easily done.

I would say only life-changing experiences in exceptional (one-off) circumstances may warrant consideration.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Personally i would say no.

they did it right.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Surely that would make the status SPG72 rather than 75!

The only time I would say maybe would be if you had held a status for several years and you just miss out at that point I think it's something that they should consider, otherwise if you want the status you should qualify otherwise belittles it for all those people who do!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I ended last year with 47 nights. SPG sent me several reminders in Nov and Dec that with 3 more stays I would be qualify for SPG 50.
I didn't need it or want it. In the first 2 weeks of 2018, I had 6 more nights. Should I go back and ask them to give me SPG 50 since
I had six nights in the first 2 weeks?

I fail to see the OP's logic.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:31 am

I'll bet that some of those vehemently opposed to flexibility/grace period were wildly supportive of the (arbitrary, secretive, without rhyme nor reason) double nights/double stay campaigns ( allowing many with fewer stays /nights than the OP to enjoy benefits at P75, denied to him).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Doesn’t the 5 extra nights credit at SPG50 count if you chose that? Also there was a double nights / stays promotion for Q4 last year so I guess this shows SPG already offer opportunities. If you’re in HK you could have found a cheap hotel over the border or even Ovolo and booked 3 rooms. Easily done.

I would say only life-changing experiences in exceptional (one-off) circumstances may warrant consideration.
This. One of the options when you reach 50 Nights is to choose 5 elite nights instead of SNAs. That was your grace!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Everyone has an entire year to meet the guidelines that have been published for many years. It isn't a last minute surprise that a program member didn't make the defined criteria in the defined timeframe.

If they have everyone 2 more weeks, someone would be here complaining that they got to 74 in the 2 extra weeks, and there should be some grace period....

Originally Posted by paolo64
I'll bet that some of those vehemently opposed to flexibility/grace period were wildly supportive of the (arbitrary, secretive, without rhyme nor reason) double nights/double stay campaigns ( allowing many with fewer stays /nights than the OP to enjoy benefits at P75, denied to him).
Yes, there may be people who support the promotions granted through the program and support the rules of the program. Is that some kind of a surprise?
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Everyone has an entire year to meet the guidelines that have been published for many years. It isn't a last minute surprise that a program member didn't make the defined criteria in the defined timeframe.

If they have everyone 2 more weeks, someone would be here complaining that they got to 74 in the 2 extra weeks, and there should be some grace period....

Yes, there may be people who support the promotions granted through the program and support the rules of the program. Is that some kind of a surprise?
No surprise but it would be better for everyone if SPG demonstrated some equity and transparency in the way it manages those double night/double stay promotions. Instead they prefer to say it's all determined by some secret algorthym. Ie, complete BS.
The point remains: the OP stayed more nights than others who were able to take advantage of those secretive promotions and yet receives fewer benefits. And this goes on year sfter year.
I'm not sure that a grace period is a good idea. I'd prefer equal treatment for ALL members in the push to reach the thresholds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.