Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Collection butler service - coffee?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by damon88
I don’t recall ever getting complimentary coffee at a Luxury Collection ( Danieli , Gritti, Prince de Galles, Suiran, Imperial, US Grant, etc).
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Butler service at SGS is included for platinums or if you book a premier room category or higher.
Butler service at SGS includes coffee, tea, espresso, cappuccino, etc., served in your room at any time, 24×7, as well as packing, unpacking, and generally whatever one needs. There is no charge for the services of the butler.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 17, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I was looking at the StR New York, and Bora Bora, and they still do offer this.

Good to know. Some brand consistency would be great. At $1100 USD/night at my stay, they might as well add in $50/night and bundle this in. The StR NYC I stayed at was roughly this price too.

The analogy I have here is how I would feel if a property didn't offer me a free breakfast as a Plat member. Yes, I can see your point, but to me a LC/StR without this service is the exception, not the rule. But perhaps you are right.
I don't disagree with your points - in theory, IF a property offers "Butler Service", it would be smart of Starwood to have some common standards associated with it...free coffee/tea would be an easy one!

But I think uniting all the LCs in this regard is a much tougher endeavor than StRs, given the unique nature of those properties.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
But I think uniting all the LCs in this regard is a much tougher endeavor than StRs, given the unique nature of those properties.
Can you please explain what you're meaning here? For example, the King George (a LC) is next to me right now. They don't have butler services. The GB does, and so my hope would be that they offer butler services at the same level the StR does.

Basically, "if the hotel has a butler, the services offered should be the same". I mean, we're talking about coffee/tea, and a pressing or two/person/day. I don't think it's an unreasonable ask that a $1100 USD/night room with a butler does what the StR butler do.

I mean, you, I, and several others on this board know much more about SPG hotels than the average lay stayer. And even we are trying to figure out what butler offers what services at what property.

That said, maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. What is unique about LC properties whereby butlers are expected to do less?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
That said, maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. What is unique about LC properties whereby butlers are expected to do less?
St. Regis is a true hotel brand - should have some stylistic similarities across the world, they have the local spin on the Bloody Mary in each of their hotel bars, they have Butler Service offered that comes with certain benefits. Much like lounges are a brand standard at Sheraton, and certain wellness / fitness associations are seen in Westins.

LC isn't really a "brand" in the traditional sense but a unique collection of luxury properties all over the world...like a small luxury chain inside Starwood that has to offer Gold/Platinum benefits (per their contract w/Starwood), but may not have any consistent brand standards. But to me and many others, that's part of the selling point - I love the uniqueness of the LCs, it's something that the other major hotel chains cannot match.
bhrubin and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

St. Regis is a true hotel brand - should have some stylistic similarities across the world, they have the local spin on the Bloody Mary in each of their hotel bars, they have Butler Service offered that comes with certain benefits. Much like lounges are a brand standard at Sheraton, and certain wellness / fitness associations are seen in Westins.

LC isn't really a "brand" in the traditional sense but a unique collection of luxury properties all over the world...like a small luxury chain inside Starwood that has to offer Gold/Platinum benefits (per their contract w/Starwood), but may not have any consistent brand standards. But to me and many others, that's part of the selling point - I love the uniqueness of the LCs, it's something that the other major hotel chains cannot match.
Ah I see. I guess I have always viewed the one off European quirky hotels under the Design hotels banner this way. I have always views LCs as being pretty consistent. But yes I understand your pov.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I see LCs as wonderful almost independent properties that Band together for the marketing of Starwood, similar to a design property except that we get benefits and there generally are certain standards of service. I hope they don’t standardize it too much. I like the local touch etc such as in toiletries and design but like enforcement of free breakfast etx. But by its size and nature of something properties it would be hard to standardize butler services for example.

The confusion for me is the lack lack of consistency for sTR - some offer free coffee from butler and others offer for a fee. I always ask when I check in what is the case as I have been burnt before. Generally I like the hardware of StR globally but there is too much unevenness in process/ benefits for my taste. I actually hope and think Marriott will standardize the str experience more which is needed.

Bu far my best experi need w SPG have been in LC properties.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I see LCs as wonderful almost independent properties that Band together for the marketing of Starwood, similar to a design property except that we get benefits and there generally are certain standards of service. I hope they don’t standardize it too much. I like the local touch etc such as in toiletries and design but like enforcement of free breakfast etx. But by its size and nature of something properties it would be hard to standardize butler services for example.

The confusion for me is the lack lack of consistency for sTR - some offer free coffee from butler and others offer for a fee. I always ask when I check in what is the case as I have been burnt before. Generally I like the hardware of StR globally but there is too much unevenness in process/ benefits for my taste. I actually hope and think Marriott will standardize the str experience more which is needed.

Interesting. My learning from this trip is that I am better suited to stay at StR properties. Always a silver lining I guess.

I do hope Marriott standardizes everything across each major hotel brand. I can count on one hand a RC that has stood out to me. Most behave much the same way!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:26 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SHLTP

I agree with most everything you say but now I am doubly confused. We have stayed at a fair number of StR properties and IIRC coffee was always included with butler service. At which hotels did they charge you?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do hope Marriott standardizes everything across each major hotel brand. I can count on one hand a RC that has stood out to me. Most behave much the same way!
Agree to disagree while Sheraton could use some standardization, I hope they don't do that to the LCs or Tributes!

Why would you be such a fan of standardization IF the creme de la creme of Marriott, RC, hasn't stood out to you on past stays?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by damon88

I agree with most everything you say but now I am doubly confused. We have stayed at a fair number of StR properties and IIRC coffee was always included with butler service. At which hotels did they charge you?
I believe StR Maldives was going to charge for coffee. So we just made it ourselves in the room.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:15 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Despite inaccurate charges to the contrary provided herein, every St Regis hotel offers complimentary butler coffee/tea service on a daily basis.

I’ve been to more St Regis properties throughout the world than almost anyone (and am typing this from a villa at the StR Punta Mita, in fact, as I’m actually enjoying my first morning’s complimentary coffee service from our butler!), so I believe I have some marked credibility and authority on the matter.

For the record, I’ve stayed at StR properties in Punta Mita, San Francisco, Monarch Beach (no longer StR), London Lanesborough (no longer StR), Rome, Houston, Mexico City, Bora Bora, Bahia Beach Puerto Rico, Washington, Bal Harbour, Princeville, Lhasa Tibet, Dubai, Beijing, etc...and will be at New York, Atlanta, Florence, Bal Harbour, San Francisco, Houston, Princeville, and Aspen/Deer Valley within the coming year. Not to mention that I’m literally at a StR even now.

Many but not all Luxury Collection properties also offer butler Services, usually the very best and most luxurious of the portfolio. But the very nature of the Luxury Collection is for those properties to enjoy and celebrate their individuality and unique traditions. Those butler services are not intended nor never will be standardized, as the very identity of the Luxury Collection is as a “soft brand” without the same overarching brand standards like most other brands.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 17, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I stayed at a St Regis once. As someone who doesn't drink coffee/tea, the Butler gave me (freshly squeezed) OJ--and even that was free. Two years later, my travel companion still tells me we should go back to that hotel.
damon88, bhrubin and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
was never charged for in-room coffee at any st. regis or lc properties where i utilized this service, except once at florence.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Jan 17, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Agree to disagree while Sheraton could use some standardization, I hope they don't do that to the LCs or Tributes!

Why would you be such a fan of standardization IF the creme de la creme of Marriott, RC, hasn't stood out to you on past stays?
Because expectations can then be well set ahead of time. I don't care if they set the bar lower or higher, but I want to know what the bar is before I book there. If it's below what I want/expect, I will book at another property.

I despise baiting and switching.

Case in point. I know RC's rarely offer upgrades in N. America. So when I want a suite, I book a suite.

I know StR's are hit and miss depending on property and demand, so I adjust my buying pattern accordingly. It's all about managing customer expectations, and I would have thought that is on one of SPG's top 10 lists.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Those butler services are not intended nor never will be standardized, as the very identity of the Luxury Collection is as a “soft brand” without the same overarching brand standards like most other brands.

That is good to know. That said, it isn't fair to expect the 99.99% of people to book at a LC to know that. Even as a lifetime platinum member of Starwood, I knew that Design hotels (and the like) have no brand consistency. That said, I had no idea this was the case for LCs.

IMHO just get rid of butlers. It's better not to advertise something as a "butler", when it's a glorified single point of contact. (mind you, a very nice, kind and professional single POC, but the butler check in manager told me just that. So those are her words, not mine.)

If you ask 100 people what they think a butler would do, is the answer you would hear "a POC to replace having to call the concierge vs the front desk?" - that is exactly what was explained to me what a butler is at this property.

Let alone on top of that. They see my Platinum LT status. Surely this isn't the first time that this has happened.

Last edited by longtimeflyin; Jan 17, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.