Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Booking with my wife's credit card but I'll be the only one staying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum

At a Starwood property, I'm considering to book the room with my wife's credit card (AMEX) as she has an AMEX offer of a cashback.

I'll be the only one staying in the room, and I cannot have my wife's name on the room.

When the website asks for a form of payment, it only asks for credit card number, expiration etc. and not the name. So I think the system will take it. But I'm thinking when I'm at the property checking in, then I don't want to land in any trouble or they asking for my credit card (which I have but I'd rather put charges on my wife's credit card).

Thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by raj_cl
At a Starwood property, I'm considering to book the room with my wife's credit card (AMEX) as she has an AMEX offer of a cashback.

I'll be the only one staying in the room, and I cannot have my wife's name on the room.

When the website asks for a form of payment, it only asks for credit card number, expiration etc. and not the name. So I think the system will take it. But I'm thinking when I'm at the property checking in, then I don't want to land in any trouble or they asking for my credit card (which I have but I'd rather put charges on my wife's credit card).

Thoughts?
You should be OK. When you check in they will ask you to leave a credit card for incidentals. Provide them with your credit card, and they will only authorize either $50 or $100, depending on the property, for incidental charges. You should not have an issue, based on similar experiences that I have had.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Is it a prepaid rate? Would it be possible to book a flex rate? A friend had the Amex offer (spend $300, get $60 back), so I contacted the hotel and made a deposit of $300 on the reservation using friend's credit card. (His name does not appear on the reservation.) Plus the Amex offer expires on Jan 31 while my stay is after that. Final bill should be about $450. I will pay the balance on check out, and feel pretty confident I will get the points/stay credit.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This works for prepaid rates, but if you don't present the card at check-in, they won't charge it. They will charge the card you give them.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:40 am

Thoughts?
Why can't you have her name on the room? If the reservation is in your name, she could still be listed on the reservation and the folio would only indicate your name. I'm not entirely sure that would solve your problem, but it wouldn't hurt.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum

Thoughts?
Call the property and ask them to send you a credit card authorization form. This allows for them to bill a credit card that isn't presented at check-in. You can complete it before the stay and fax it in. You usually just need to complete a one page form and then provide a photocopy of your wife's credit card and drivers license. I have had to do this a couple times when booking hotels for employees that don't have a company credit card yet and it is pretty easy. I have never done it for a Starwood property though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.