Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Rate:
Competing Web Site:

Comments:

FAQ

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG)?

If a lower rate at an SPG Hotel is made available on a non-SPG website or non-SPG mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, SPG will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 25% discount off the Competing Rate (20% for Design Hotels) per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

What should I do if my claim is successful?
  • Re-confirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
  • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If they have not posted, then contacted the BRG team to get it posted.
Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?

Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.

How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • Click on your stays to view your current reservation.
  • Click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE.
  • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How do I add a Suite Night Award (SNA) to a my BRG reservation?
  • Follow the steps as outlined under: How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • At the end of this process, you should be able to select "Apply SNA to this Stay" from within your stays page.
GUIDELINES FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLAIM

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.

• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public
• Cancellation/Deposit Policies and amenities must match on both websites to be valid

A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG

• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using the next lowest category of room and must include the cancel/deposit polices and amenities you are wanting- if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will remain what is booked.

• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• You must book and submit a claim for the room type, cancel policy, deposit policy and amenities you are comparing. If you a flexible rate on SPG.com, they will look for a flexible rate when processing your claim, even if a lower rate for non-cancellable is available.
• You cannot BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. All information must be the same on both websites and the claim will be denied.

• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is no room available with the same amenities, it will be denied.

• Room types must be the same for a BRG.

• If you are booking and comparing rates for a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved

• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.

• The cancel policy of an approved claim will be the same as what was booked and approved. It will no longer default to flexible.

• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website for that room type to help clarify.

• If you find availability on a third party website/app but there is no availability on the Starwood Website, then this claim cannot be submitted as you must have a valid reservation to submit a claim. If it is submitted somehow without a reservation, the claim will not be processed as a valid Starwood reservation is required.

• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • BestDay
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • Hotelreservierung.de (according to BRG team 5 Sept 2017)
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim but it must be the lowest rate for the hotel and dates. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities are not included in the comparasin
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.

Differing currencies

Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the Marriott rate is less than $1. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: CX MP Gold, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by aacar
If you mean that SPG isn't selling a lower room category but the OTA is, then yes, it should work (just did it today).
Doesn't work if it's reviewed by India. They just denied me because I booked a premier deluxe but claiming deluxe only (SPG only has premier deluxe available but deluxe is on many OTAs!)

Generic reply just now (10 minutes after I sent my please review again email!):
"Thank you for your reply concerning your recent Best Rate Guarantee claim. I hope you are doing well.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you. It is important to know that our terms and conditions have been recently updated. As per new terms and conditions, we will compare the room type, amenities, deposit and cancellation policies on the competing website which match the one you booked on your reservation."
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
No I submitted the next lowest room. Interesting thing was that the OTA rate was non flex but the booked rate on SPG was flex and that seems to have carried over to the BRG
None of this makes sense. You didn’t match the room type or cancellation policy.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl

None of this makes sense. You didn’t match the room type or cancellation policy.
Couldn't match the room type as it was not available. Yes I was surprised about the cancellation policy but am not complaining.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by nacho
Why don't you send them a screenshot showing the name of the hotel on Hotwire? This is what I would do if I were you.
Claim approved after 3 denials. (Compared with the wrong rate, added taxes to the competing rate and compared it to the Starwood rate without taxes, claimed that hidden fees were applied, claimed that Hotwire website did not show the name of the hotel (it clearly did)). For every denial, I sent screenshots which disproved the given reasons and finally asked the issue to be escalated. A frustrating process since the arguments for refusing the claim was very obviously bogus/invalid. But happy that I finally got lucky.

Hotel Name: Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel
Arrival Date: October 2018
Departure Date: October 2018
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Traditional room for two guests (room only)
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: USD 235
Competing Rate: USD 207
Actual Confirmed Rate: $155.33 USD per night, plus taxes and fees ($207.10 USD less 25%)
Competing Web Site: Hotwire
Comments: Flexible rate
Antonio8069 and joakgarp like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott LTG is all that's left.
36h wait (rate no longer available), misspelled both my first and my last name.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Hotel Name: Sheraton Skyline London Heathrow
Arrival Date: Sept 2018
Departure Date: Sept 2018
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 1
Room Type: Classic Room, Non-Smoking
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: £134 GBP
Competing Rate: £126
Competing Web Site: Agoda
Comments: Apparently the Starwood rate had magically dropped when they checked, but straight after they responded to decline my claim, I checked and the rate was still showing as £134. And since they only match on the same rate as your booking, that's me getting a poor prepaid rate then. Frustrating.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:21 am
Suspended

India team. Compared my flexible and fully cancellable rate on reservation (and Comparison Rate) against lowest available nonrefundable rate on spg.com.

This program is a total and complete mockery. Utter disregard and disrespect for clients.

I sincerely hope they will soon terminate this department at SPG and start sending us to Marriott’s LNF folks—they’re unfriendly and unappollogetic, but they’re efficient.
GalaxyChris and joakgarp like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
I sincerely hope they will soon terminate this department at SPG and start sending us to Marriott’s LNF folks—they’re unfriendly and unappollogetic, but they’re efficient.
Agreed. I prefer unfriendly and knowledgeable / efficient, rather than friendly and clueless.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:47 pm

India team. Compared my flexible and fully cancellable rate on reservation (and Comparison Rate) against lowest available nonrefundable rate on spg.com.

This program is a total and complete mockery. Utter disregard and disrespect for clients.

I've had a few successful Marriott LNFs these past few days. Got to say, they've got a much better system going there.

All claims were approved around 10-12 hours after submitting. They did not nit-pick as to the exact details of the refundable reservation (whether deposit was required, when exactly the cancellation deadline was etc.).
They compared refundable to refundable, that's it. They also did not worry about exact wording regarding room type. They used common sense to determine whether the room type on the OTA matched the one on Marriott.
3rdworldresident and joakgarp like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Agreed. I prefer unfriendly and knowledgeable / efficient, rather than friendly and clueless.

The SPG BRG team has been the best bar none for me for last 5 years. This is a transition period and I'm willing to ride it out until they sort things out. They've done so much to help us get approved BRGs before, why would you now insult them and call them disrespectful and clueless? They read this forum too...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
The SPG BRG team has been the best bar none for me for last 5 years. This is a transition period and I'm willing to ride it out until they sort things out. They've done so much to help us get approved BRGs before, why would you now insult them and call them disrespectful and clueless? They read this forum too...
Well I had a great respect for them too, but I feel they lost their respect for me as a client. Bogus rejections, made-up grounds to deny a claim, constantly comparison rates mysteriously not showing up on their part, total carelessness while processing a claim, deliberate bad faith in nit-picking comparison details even against the T&C explicit provisions, 5-day-plus delays to get a reply from them, complaints to management go unanswered and unacknowledged, etc.

Marriott’s LNF team is also going through a transition period and I don’t see any of these things happening over there — they get things done, and they get them done on time!
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Well I had a great respect for them too, but I feel they lost their respect for me as a client. Bogus rejections, made-up grounds to deny a claim, constantly comparison rates mysteriously not showing up on their part, total carelessness while processing a claim, deliberate bad faith in nit-picking comparison details even against the T&C explicit provisions, 5-day-plus delays to get a reply from them, complaints to management go unanswered and unacknowledged, etc.

Marriott’s LNF team is also going through a transition period and I don’t see any of these things happening over there — they get things done, and they get them done on time!
Unfortunately, you are painting the entire team negatively when the problems you had originated from the India team. I'm with travelswithmyself. I think we need to be patient while the BRG team learns to adapt to the new rules imposed by Marriott.
lcpteck likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Unfortunately, you are painting the entire team negatively when the problems you had originated from the India team. I'm with travelswithmyself. I think we need to be patient while the BRG team learns to adapt to the new rules imposed by Marriott.
That’s the last example — the only one I posted here. I have several similar or analogous examples from the NA office, the Irish office (several different language desks) and the Japanese office.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I agree they were good in the past, and I agree that it's a transition period and I intend on being patient for things to have time to settle. That said, there are several documented examples where they have behaved as being clueless, so I stand by my comment, and I will do so until they "ride out" of their current state.

As for the members of the BRG team who read this forum, I suspect it's actually not the individuals behaving as clueless. And if I am wrong, and if a clueless BRG team member is actually reading here, then I would suggest to take the criticism in stride and improve. That's how business works. If I owned a restaurant and had loyal clients for 5 straight years, and then suddenly there is a transition and my food and service become awful, I wish my customers would criticize me and tell me what they are unhappy about, rather than leaving and never coming back, without saying a word.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by escape4
I agree they were good in the past, and I agree that it's a transition period and I intend on being patient for things to have time to settle. That said, there are several documented examples where they have behaved as being clueless, so I stand by my comment, and I will do so until they "ride out" of their current state.

As for the members of the BRG team who read this forum, I suspect it's actually not the individuals behaving as clueless. And if I am wrong, and if a clueless BRG team member is actually reading here, then I would suggest to take the criticism in stride and improve. That's how business works. If I owned a restaurant and had loyal clients for 5 straight years, and then suddenly there is a transition and my food and service become awful, I wish my customers would criticize me and tell me what they are unhappy about, rather than leaving and never coming back, without saying a word.
I have all the sympathy for the associates at the BRG Department and I bet most of them must be ashamed of where they work and of how they have been asked to do their jobs. I wish them all the best and hope they get nicer positions somewhere else at SPG. Yet I have no sympathy whatsoever for the extremely poorly managed and terribly ineffective BRG Department. I sincerely hope it gets shut down very soon and all its business is redirected towards Marriott’s LNF team.

However friendly and nice people at BRG are, this is a business and as a client I expect prompt and efficient deliverance. I am not in this to make new friends or to find some way to spend my free time. I want the best available room for the lowest possible price — and I want it pronto.

SPG’s BRG Department is a shame for Marriott and they should get rid of it fast. The sooner the better.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Jul 24, 2018 at 6:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.