Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Rate:
Competing Web Site:

Comments:

FAQ

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG)?

If a lower rate at an SPG Hotel is made available on a non-SPG website or non-SPG mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, SPG will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 25% discount off the Competing Rate (20% for Design Hotels) per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

What should I do if my claim is successful?
  • Re-confirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
  • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If they have not posted, then contacted the BRG team to get it posted.
Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?

Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.

How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • Click on your stays to view your current reservation.
  • Click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE.
  • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How do I add a Suite Night Award (SNA) to a my BRG reservation?
  • Follow the steps as outlined under: How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • At the end of this process, you should be able to select "Apply SNA to this Stay" from within your stays page.
GUIDELINES FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLAIM

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.

• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public
• Cancellation/Deposit Policies and amenities must match on both websites to be valid

A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG

• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using the next lowest category of room and must include the cancel/deposit polices and amenities you are wanting- if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will remain what is booked.

• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• You must book and submit a claim for the room type, cancel policy, deposit policy and amenities you are comparing. If you a flexible rate on SPG.com, they will look for a flexible rate when processing your claim, even if a lower rate for non-cancellable is available.
• You cannot BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. All information must be the same on both websites and the claim will be denied.

• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is no room available with the same amenities, it will be denied.

• Room types must be the same for a BRG.

• If you are booking and comparing rates for a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved

• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.

• The cancel policy of an approved claim will be the same as what was booked and approved. It will no longer default to flexible.

• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website for that room type to help clarify.

• If you find availability on a third party website/app but there is no availability on the Starwood Website, then this claim cannot be submitted as you must have a valid reservation to submit a claim. If it is submitted somehow without a reservation, the claim will not be processed as a valid Starwood reservation is required.

• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • BestDay
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • Hotelreservierung.de (according to BRG team 5 Sept 2017)
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim but it must be the lowest rate for the hotel and dates. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities are not included in the comparasin
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.

Differing currencies

Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the Marriott rate is less than $1. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
As for trip.com, some bookings indeed don't confirm instantly but others do (those are then labeled as "instant confirmation"). For some reason they've blacklisted entire website rather than only the not instant bookings and there is no way to reason with them.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Hotel Name: Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Arrival Date: June 2018
Departure Date: June 2018
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Standard Room (Mountain / Garden View)
SPG Web Site Room Rate: $239 USD / night
Competing Room Provider: Priceline.com via Kayak
Competing Rate: $161 USD / night
Actual confirmed rate: 121 USD per night, plus tax, fee, and resort charge (161 USD less 25%)

This was my first successful BRG with Starwood and required a phone call to follow up as the India team could not validate my claim due to geographical limitations. The Canada team was able to validate and process my claim over the phone for two nights in June. I'd like to thank fellow FT'er ANGIE2018 as I was able to use this prior to my stay on Kauai.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:45 pm

Already waiting 48h+ for a claim, rate is still there so hopefully it gets approved today.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Hotel Name: W Istanbul
Arrival Date: 4/6/18
Departure Date: 4/9/18
Number of Guests: 1
Room Type: Superior Room
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: 129€/night
Competing Room Provider: Amoma
Competing Rate: 100€/night
Comments: Took 25% off competing rate to drop this down to 75€/night. Applied 3 SNAs but haven’t been confirmed yet. I’ll be pleased even if they don’t clear.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes, there is a phone number in the wiki which is answered by someone from Austin or St Thomas. They are very helpful. Good luck.
I called last week the number in the BRG FAQ and get a nice supervisor who explained me the actual rules with currency fluctuations.

until 3% its considered fluctuations / all kind of currency
one exception
​​​with IDR until 5% is fluctuations (Indonesian Rupiah).
Actually the waiting time is much better (~2,5 days)
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by porkie
Already waiting 48h+ for a claim, rate is still there so hopefully it gets approved today.
i had 2 BRG claims last Friday that was approved within a few hours. First one approved in 5 hours. 2nd one approved in 3 hours. Strange it fluctuates
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80
i had 2 BRG claims last Friday that was approved within a few hours. First one approved in 5 hours. 2nd one approved in 3 hours. Strange it fluctuates
Maybe you indeed are on the BRG VIP list, as someone suggested on previous page. Strange though as I submit quite a lot of claims, though only joined the BRG game in second half of last year so maybe it takes time to get there.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by porkie
I would hate it to sound like some conspiracy theory but the claim just got denied 10 minutes ago because Starwood lowered their rate, even though I have checked it two hours ago and it was still higher. Looks like they just waited for the hotel to fix their rate and then denied the claim :/
estnet and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Hotel Name: Ovolo Southside
Arrival Date: may 18
Departure Date: 2nt
Number of Rooms:1
Number of Guests:1
Room Type: mini queen
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: 889HKD
Company Room Provider: app
Competing Room Provider: RoomsXXL.de via Trivago
Competing Rate: 537HKD
Comments: chose 2000pts claim approved in 30hrs. Trivago had 5 providers of cheaper rooms 👍 only 2 nights gave the cheaper rate but worth it. By far the cheapest HKG stay for me in ages and I like this hotel. Too bad they exclude the free breakfast when you book on SPG and only give it on their own web site, suprised SPG allows them to discriminate on SPG bookings!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:05 pm

Can you do a BRG comparing a competing site's lowest rates and starwood's lowest non-ref rates even though you book the best flex rate? I don't want to be locked in to a reservation if the request is not approved.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Can you do a BRG comparing a competing site's lowest rates and starwood's lowest non-ref rates even though you book the best flex rate? I don't want to be locked in to a reservation if the request is not approved.
yes, this is exactly what I did a few posts up at the W Istanbul. It is the recommended approach and is even noted in the BRG FAQs.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Originally Posted by danhunterpost

yes, this is exactly what I did a few posts up at the W Istanbul. It is the recommended approach and is even noted in the BRG FAQs.
The exception being Design hotels, they require you to book the lowest rate available on spg.com so usually the prepaid

But luckily The rest still allow The flex bookings 👍
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: SPG|Marriott Plat Premier
Phuket

First 2 successful BRG claims ...ever!

1. Hotel Name: The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket
Arrival Date : 04/xx/2018
Departure Date : 04/xx/2018 (3 night stay)
Number of Adults :2
Number of Children : 0
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type On Reservation: Deluxe with sea view, non-smoking
Starwood Rate : THB 5510.0
Competing Website : GETAROOM
Competing rate : USD 151.33
Actual confirmed rate: 3,229.03 THB per night plus taxes and service charge (4,305.37 THB less 25%)
Comment: Will keep this reservation.

2. Hotel Name: The Naka Phuket, a Member of Design Hotels™
Arrival Date : 04/xx/2018
Departure Date : 04/xx/2018 (3 night stay)
Number of Adults :2
Number of Children : 0
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type On Reservation: 1 bedroom pool villa, non-smoking
Starwood Rate : THB 18375.0
Competing Website : PRESTIGIA
Competing rate : HKD 3195
Actual confirmed rate: 12766.15 THB per night, including tax, vat, and service charge (15957.68 THB less 20%)
Comment: I guess I will cancel this one in lieu of the Westin Phuket... can't really justify 4 times the price

BRG filed Mar18 02:13, Approved on Mar19 23:47.

Also quick question guys,regarding making a BRG claim where I can find available room type on 3rd party website (Deluxe King bed, non-smoking), but none of that room type available at all on spg.com. (Only Deluxe 2 bed rooms)
Can I still BRG this or not possible?
Did a Google & Flyertalk search but only found answers regarding complete room unavailability whereas in this case its just singular room type.
Cheers
remymartin likes this.

Last edited by Samli; Mar 19, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Samli
Also quick question guys,regarding making a BRG claim where I can find available room type on 3rd party website (Deluxe King bed, non-smoking), but none of that room type available at all on spg.com. (Only Deluxe 2 bed rooms)
Can I still BRG this or not possible?
Did a Google & Flyertalk search but only found answers regarding complete room unavailability whereas in this case its just singular room type.
Cheers
I was able to BRG a similar claim, third party site had double beds and SPG only had king size in same room type. I wanted double beds.
Booked the room available in SPG site and I just filled in detail in the comments section. BRG was approved for double beds.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Hotel Name: Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Arrival Date: June 2018
Departure Date: June 2018
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Standard Room (Mountain / Garden View)
SPG Web Site Room Rate: $239 USD / night
Competing Room Provider: Priceline.com via Kayak
Competing Rate: $161 USD / night
Actual confirmed rate: 121 USD per night, plus tax, fee, and resort charge (161 USD less 25%)

This was my first successful BRG with Starwood and required a phone call to follow up as the India team could not validate my claim due to geographical limitations. The Canada team was able to validate and process my claim over the phone for two nights in June. I'd like to thank fellow FT'er ANGIE2018 as I was able to use this prior to my stay on Kauai.
You are welcome!That was my first BRG too!
I got one question,when you use priceline to beat the price,do you have to sign in ?I checked the rate is different if you don't sign in.
I wonder I will get approved or not if I use member only rate in priceline to BRG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.