Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Rate:
Competing Web Site:

Comments:

FAQ

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG)?

If a lower rate at an SPG Hotel is made available on a non-SPG website or non-SPG mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, SPG will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 25% discount off the Competing Rate (20% for Design Hotels) per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

What should I do if my claim is successful?
  • Re-confirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
  • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If they have not posted, then contacted the BRG team to get it posted.
Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?

Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.

How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • Click on your stays to view your current reservation.
  • Click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE.
  • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How do I add a Suite Night Award (SNA) to a my BRG reservation?
  • Follow the steps as outlined under: How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • At the end of this process, you should be able to select "Apply SNA to this Stay" from within your stays page.
GUIDELINES FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLAIM

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.

• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public
• Cancellation/Deposit Policies and amenities must match on both websites to be valid

A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG

• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using the next lowest category of room and must include the cancel/deposit polices and amenities you are wanting- if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will remain what is booked.

• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• You must book and submit a claim for the room type, cancel policy, deposit policy and amenities you are comparing. If you a flexible rate on SPG.com, they will look for a flexible rate when processing your claim, even if a lower rate for non-cancellable is available.
• You cannot BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. All information must be the same on both websites and the claim will be denied.

• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is no room available with the same amenities, it will be denied.

• Room types must be the same for a BRG.

• If you are booking and comparing rates for a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved

• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.

• The cancel policy of an approved claim will be the same as what was booked and approved. It will no longer default to flexible.

• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website for that room type to help clarify.

• If you find availability on a third party website/app but there is no availability on the Starwood Website, then this claim cannot be submitted as you must have a valid reservation to submit a claim. If it is submitted somehow without a reservation, the claim will not be processed as a valid Starwood reservation is required.

• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • BestDay
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • Hotelreservierung.de (according to BRG team 5 Sept 2017)
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim but it must be the lowest rate for the hotel and dates. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities are not included in the comparasin
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.

Differing currencies

Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the Marriott rate is less than $1. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
That's only true for Design Hotels. In my case, I don't stay at Design Hotels.
No, as per the new terms,
When multiple rates for the same hotel, reservation dates, and room type are available through a Marriott channel you must reserve the lowest rate for that room type to be eligible for the guarantee.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by igor82j
How do you compare flex vs. flex, if one needs to reserve the lowest SPG rate (which is always the prepaid one) to be able even to apply for BRG?
You don't have to reserve the lowest SPG rate.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You don't have to reserve the lowest SPG rate.
Could you please elaborate? I've included the extract from the new T&C in the previous post which clearly states that one has to book the lowest SPG rate for the room i question.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:03 pm

Could you please elaborate? I've included the extract from the new T&C in the previous post which clearly states that one has to book the lowest SPG rate for the room i question.
Don't book the lowest rate -- often times that is the nonrefundable rate. What I've done in the past is book a refundable rate and ask for BRG. The BRG agents look at the lowest available rate vs. 3rd party website and if they approve they'll match and change your reservation.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: CX MP Gold, MR Titanium
How do you compare flex vs. flex, if one needs to reserve the lowest SPG rate (which is always the prepaid one) to be able even to apply for BRG?
You don't have to reserve the lowest rate. Should be lowest rate type - so prepaid or flex. If you book flex, they will compare flex vs flex. If you book prepaid, they will compare prepaid vs prepaid. You can no longer book flex to compare prepaid.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by myko85
Don't book the lowest rate -- often times that is the nonrefundable rate. What I've done in the past is book a refundable rate and ask for BRG. The BRG agents look at the lowest available rate vs. 3rd party website and if they approve they'll match and change your reservation.
There have been major changes to the BRG program that happened about 3 months ago. This is no longer true. Room type and cancellation policy must match.

Suggest you flip back through a few pages of this thread to get caught up. I think the change happened on May 25.
myko85 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:39 am
Suspended

That is the exact language on the T&C and literally it does mean what you mention. However, so far it has not been applied at its face value and I guess it should be read in conjunction with the other provisions as meaning that, within the same booking conditions (cancellation, deposit, etc.), one has to book the lowest available rate on spg.com — for instance, where there is availability for a Members rate plan and a Preferred Rate, one has to book the former to brg against an OTA cancellable rate.

Last edited by M.dA.R.; Aug 9, 2018 at 10:01 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:04 am

Hotel Name: The Westin Bellevue, Dresden
Arrival Date: October 11th
Departure Date: October 14th
Number of Rooms: 2
Number of Guests: 2+2
Room Type: Classic Room
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: EUR 95
Competing Rate: EUR 73.97
Competing Web Site: booking.com
Approved Rate: (25% off): EUR 55.48
Comments: first time, took about 48 hours
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Yes that exact term is not used at the moment by the Brg teams of Marriott/SPG. However that term is useful for Marriott if there are multiple flexible rates available and the customer reserve the highest flexible rate and try to do a LFN claim against that rate. That wouldn't work.
At the moment you need to book the lowest rate for what type of room category, flexible/non-flexible cancellation and amenities you are comparing against. It's very often that there are multiple different rates for the exact same of room category, flex/non-flex and breakfast/non-breakfast.

Not to create any bad luck or something but I'm sure in 1-2 years Marriott will force us to book the absolute lowest rate no matter above and compare only that. That would create a Hyatt-disaster and basically ruin the Brg program.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
I try to BRG Design hotel in Hongkong
When i book it lowest rate for BRG it show 944+ HKD.(Advance Purchase Rate)
But when BRG agent go to spg website rate of Advance Purchase rate drop to 918+ HKD.
Then they reject my BRG because of not Book lowest rate.
I'm pretty sure that i book lowest rate.
Any advice ?
Dose anyone have same situation like this ?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nongsom
But when BRG agent go to spg website rate of Advance Purchase rate drop to 918+ HKD.
Any advice ?
BRG in SPG has become a scam
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: CX MP Gold, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by nongsom
Any advice ?
It's what is available when they go to check. If you're still seeing it as 944 HKD (within 24 hours of receiving the denial) you can resubmit your claim or call them. Or if you can find another rate lower than the 918 then you can resubmit the claim too.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:50 am

Me claim rate below 914
I Can't resubmit because it prepaid rate (lowest rate)
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Yep never book prepaid rates unless you like the rate you are paying for and see brg as an additional bonus.
That's why I stay away from Design Hotels. Besides rates on Design Hotels are usually cheaper lol on designhotels.com

Last edited by joakgarp; Aug 10, 2018 at 2:15 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:36 am

My problem is when I book lowest rate on SPG is 944 but
now in same date and rate drop to 918.
It is not fair because I really book lowest rate on spg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.