Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Rate:
Competing Web Site:

Comments:

FAQ

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG)?

If a lower rate at an SPG Hotel is made available on a non-SPG website or non-SPG mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, SPG will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 25% discount off the Competing Rate (20% for Design Hotels) per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

What should I do if my claim is successful?
  • Re-confirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
  • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If they have not posted, then contacted the BRG team to get it posted.
Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?

Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.

How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • Click on your stays to view your current reservation.
  • Click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE.
  • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How do I add a Suite Night Award (SNA) to a my BRG reservation?
  • Follow the steps as outlined under: How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • At the end of this process, you should be able to select "Apply SNA to this Stay" from within your stays page.
GUIDELINES FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLAIM

You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.

The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public
Cancellation/Deposit Policies and amenities must match on both websites to be valid

A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG

If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using the next lowest category of room and must include the cancel/deposit polices and amenities you are wanting- if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will remain what is booked.

Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

You must book and submit a claim for the room type, cancel policy, deposit policy and amenities you are comparing. If you a flexible rate on SPG.com, they will look for a flexible rate when processing your claim, even if a lower rate for non-cancellable is available.
You cannot BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. All information must be the same on both websites and the claim will be denied.

If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is no room available with the same amenities, it will be denied.

Room types must be the same for a BRG.

If you are booking and comparing rates for a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved

If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.

The cancel policy of an approved claim will be the same as what was booked and approved. It will no longer default to flexible.

If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website for that room type to help clarify.

If you find availability on a third party website/app but there is no availability on the Starwood Website, then this claim cannot be submitted as you must have a valid reservation to submit a claim. If it is submitted somehow without a reservation, the claim will not be processed as a valid Starwood reservation is required.

Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • BestDay
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • Hotelreservierung.de (according to BRG team 5 Sept 2017)
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim but it must be the lowest rate for the hotel and dates. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities are not included in the comparasin
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.

Differing currencies

Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the Marriott rate is less than $1. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Old May 5, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Like I said, I get it. I am merely pointing out that if the lowest SPG rate is non-refundable, and if there is nothing on other sites lower than that, the BRG cannot be used, and those who need a flexible rate will not be able to use SPG's lowest rate.
This part is correct:

if there is nothing on other sites lower than that, the BRG cannot be used
This part is incorrect:

those who need a flexible rate will not be able to use SPG's lowest rate
You can ALWAYS get a flexible rate with SPG BRGs.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

There is always been a lot of confusion about what is being compared on a BRG claim. The actual rate and rate plan on the original spg booking is irrelevant.

What will be compared is the lowest available rate on spg.com against the lowest OTA rate (comparison can be made with different amenities, but always apples for apples). If the claim is approved, your booking will be adjusted to a new rate plan the BRG rate plan and the new rate will be 75% of the competing matched rate.

It is irrelevant whether your original booking was prepaid (rate plans BAR1, Z*H, Z*R, etc.). Once approved, the rate plan on the reservation will be adjusted to the BRG rate plan which almost always (some resorts excepted) is a fully cancellable and no-deposit-required rate plan. Of course, if the deposit on the original reservation was already charged, I seriously doubt the property will refund it, at least not while you have an upcoming booking with them. (There is some anecdotal evidence on FT that, for some resorts, the BRG rate plan is noncancellable with the cancellation penalty being assessed on the basis of the RACK rate for the dates in question).

Now, I understand the LNF allows other possibilities for claims that SPGs BRG doesnt, which in theory seems to be very appealing. However, I tried twice and failed to get approved both times.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
This part is correct:

This part is incorrect:

"those who need a flexible rate will not be able to use SPG's lowest rate"

You can ALWAYS get a flexible rate with SPG BRGs.
No, it's not. I did not say BRG. I said SPG's lowest rate, in a very specific scenario.

The lowest rate is pre-paid. I am not talking about using it for BRG purposes (because there is no lower rate elsewhere). I'm saying I can't book the lowest rate that is available on SPG because it is non-refundable.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:49 pm

Like I said, I get it. #4 is correct (see #2 ). It would only be incorrect if there were another rate lower than the SPG pre-paid rate. I am merely pointing out that if the lowest SPG rate is non-refundable, and if there is nothing on other sites lower than that, the BRG cannot be used, and those who need a flexible rate will not be able to use SPG's lowest rate.
Your logic is very bad........... I do get what you trying to say though.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Like I said, I get it. #4 is correct (see #2). It would only be incorrect if there were another rate lower than the SPG pre-paid rate. I am merely pointing out that if the lowest SPG rate is non-refundable, and if there is nothing on other sites lower than that, the BRG cannot be used, and those who need a flexible rate will not be able to use SPG's lowest rate.
You are correct that in such scenario LNF allows you to book a cancellable rate and file a successful claim, whereas you would be out of luck with SPGs BRG. That is, undoubtedly, on of the least attractive aspects of this guarantee.

However, in the case the competing rate is lower than SPGs nonrefundable rate but higher than its refundable rate, SPG allows you to book the cancellable rate and file a BRG claim, whereas with LNF you would have to book a nonrefundable rate with all the risks that come with that (I know there is a 24-hour window period but Im not familiar to how useful that period is).
Old May 5, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Once you figure out how spg brg system works you will find it's amazing. You get to beat spgs absolute lowest rate, even if the rate is non cancellable. The only thing you have to book is a flexible stay and search around for a rate better than Spg's absolute lowest rate.

The brg system from Spg is so addicting that Marriott's feels way old school. Spg's partner Hotels however is a complete matter and utter nightmare lol.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:55 pm

@ lexdevil : big brain - you can't use Marriott LNF standards to SPG BRG's. I don't try drive right side in UK if my standard is different side.
joakgarp likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

You are correct that in such scenario LNF allows you to book a cancellable rate and file a successful claim, whereas you would be out of luck with SPG’s BRG. That is, undoubtedly, on of the least attractive aspects of this guarantee.

However, in the case the competing rate is lower than SPG’s nonrefundable rate but higher than its refundable rate, SPG allows you to book the cancellable rate and file a BRG claim, whereas with LNF you would have to book a nonrefundable rate with all the risks that come with that (I know there is a 24-hour window period but I’m not familiar to how useful that period is).
You are correct. I totally get this. I see how that would be very advantageous. At the same time, I think I made it clear that I am only talking about a specific scenario. A scenario in which it is DISADVANTAGEOUS. And probably not all that uncommon a scenario.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by HHQX888
@ lexdevil : big brain - you can't use Marriott LNF standards to SPG BRG's. I don't try drive right side in UK if my standard is different side.
I recognize that a rate that meets the LNF standards may not meet the BRG standards. I'm simply saying that this was disadvantageous to me in this situation. It was disappointing. I'm glad you like BRG and that it works for you. I hope to experience its awesomeness in the future (unless Marriott goes with the LNF standards starting in August -- one more reason for all you SPG folks to send angry emails to Marriott).
Old May 5, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
  • Starwood may at any time and without notice terminate or restrict a persons ability to submit a claim under or otherwise benefit from the Best Rate Guarantee, if in its sole discretion Starwood determines that such person has: (1) acted in a manner inconsistent with applicable laws or ordinances; (2) acted in a fraudulent or abusive manner, (3) submitted multiple invalid Best Rate Guarantee claims; (4) failed to stay at the applicable Starwood Hotels or SPG Partner Hotels after receiving approved Best Rate Guarantee Claims; or (5) breached any of these BRG Terms.

I went a bit berserk and have been filing a bunch of claims as I wasn't sure which ones would be approved and still was unsure of exact plans while travelling. I then noticed maybe I went a bit overboard, and saw this in the terms.

4) Any experiences of how this is applied? Anyone gotten punished for cancelling an approved bRG?
Old May 5, 2018, 6:20 pm

@ lexdevil : you still don't understand, your ' specific scenario ' not exist.
In the past (not far) we don't need any booking to make BRG claim, they change it and now you need any booking number (correct dates) at hotel at which you want make BRG claim - to have booking number you must :
- make nonrefundable booking and if claim is rejected you can have problems with canceling this booking (it is possible to canclel it, but not always)
- make refundable booking for example for President suite at hotel, if claim is approved your Presidental Suite will be transformed to this kind room which you compare in claim and will be refundable.

Why you want think so complicated with ' specific scenario ', if BRG team simply give you answer 'Rejected - I don't see this hotel on OTA page ))'
Old May 5, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by HHQX888
@ lexdevil : you still don't understand, your ' specific scenario ' not exist.
In the past (not far) we don't need any booking to make BRG claim, they change it and now you need any booking number (correct dates) at hotel at which you want make BRG claim - to have booking number you must :
- make nonrefundable booking and if claim is rejected you can have problems with canceling this booking (it is possible to canclel it, but not always)
- make refundable booking for example for President suite at hotel, if claim is approved your Presidental Suite will be transformed to this kind room which you compare in claim and will be refundable.

Why you want think so complicated with ' specific scenario ', if BRG team simply give you answer 'Rejected - I don't see this hotel on OTA page ))'
I think I understand the BRG, but I am pretty confused by what you are saying. Of course my scenario exists. Everyone else here seems to believe that it exists. They did not reject my claim because they could not find the rate I claimed on the OTA page; they rejected it because the rate on the OTA page was higher than the pre-paid SPG member rate. So...if I want a rate lower than $275 per night I have to book the non-refundable $225 rate on the SPG website. I don't, however, want to do that because my plans may change.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
I think I understand the BRG, but I am pretty confused by what you are saying. Of course my scenario exists. Everyone else here seems to believe that it exists. They did not reject my claim because they could not find the rate I claimed on the OTA page; they rejected it because the rate on the OTA page was higher than the pre-paid SPG member rate. So...if I want a rate lower than $275 per night I have to book the non-refundable $225 rate on the SPG website. I don't, however, want to do that because my plans may change.
The bolded part is incorrect! I do >100 BRGs/yr for the last 7-8 yrs. I have NEVER booked a non-refundable rate and almost all my BRGs are on prepaid rates as 99% of the time, that's the lowest rate on SPG. However, you do have to find a lower rate than the lowest rate on SPG to submit a BRG in the first place.

(The exception is with Design Hotels as detailed in the wiki, but I never stay at Design Hotels for that reason.)

Anyhow, I give up. Good luck!
Old May 5, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
No, I really do get it. Your scenario is not my scenario. To make it concrete/clear:

1. SPG has a flexible public rate of $285, a flexible SPG rate of $275, and a pre-paid non-refundable rate of $225.

2. There is no rate on competing sites below the SPG $225 non-refundable rate, so I have no rate with which to challenge.

3. Expedia has a flexible rate of $271. If SPG's BRG worked like Marriott's LNF program, I could use that $271 rate to challenge the $285 rate (Marriott does not do exclusive member rates or auto club rates in LNF; the rates must be available to all). My $271 rate with Expedia would be matched and decreased by 25%, giving me a final rate of $203.

4. Instead, I don't even have access to the lower rate of $225 because I do not want to book the non-refundable rate with SPG. That means I'm stuck booking at $275, rather than $225. In other words, because I need a flexible rate, I am not guaranteed the best rate.

5. The upshot is that I'll book a $195 room at a Marriott property with better reviews and skip trying the Starwood property I was curious about.
I get your point you cant BRG against a flexible rate if the competing rate is not lower than the SPG non flexible rate. You can however BRG an SPG flexible rate against a rate lower than the non refundable rate and keep the flexible terms if the BRG is approved. Yet this has been pointed out to you multiple times yet you still talk about not having the flexibility to cancel.

Its easy, only look for rates that are cheaper than the SPG lowest rate, Book an SPG flexible rate and BRG against to lower rate you found irrespective of its cancellation policy. If approved it will be with the points or discount but will remain a flexible booking. There is a trick to cancelling online as can be discovered in the WIKI. Margarita Girl has highlighted the exceptions. Dont book a non refundable rate for the BRG as you cant cancel it.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by geminidreams
I get your point you cant BRG against a flexible rate if the competing rate is not lower than the SPG non flexible rate. You can however BRG an SPG flexible rate against a rate lower than the non refundable rate and keep the flexible terms if the BRG is approved. Yet this has been pointed out to you multiple times yet you still talk about not having the flexibility to cancel.
Yes, because there is not a rate lower than the pre-paid rate on the SPG site, so I would have to book the non-refundable $225 rate to get a rate lower than the $275 flexible rate. It would not be a BRG rate, and it would be non-refundable. That is all I am saying. I UNDERSTAND that if I found a rate below the $225 pre-paid rate I could use it for the BRG and the reservation would be flexible. That would be great. It's just not an option in this case.

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Its easy, only look for rates that are cheaper than the SPG lowest rate, Book an SPG flexible rate and BRG against to lower rate you found irrespective of its cancellation policy. If approved it will be with the points or discount but will remain a flexible booking. There is a trick to cancelling online as can be discovered in the WIKI. Margarita Girl has highlighted the exceptions. Dont book a non refundable rate for the BRG as you cant cancel it.
Easier said than done. You think I'm not looking for the lowest possible rate? Of course I am. A rate below $225 would be even better than the $271 flexible rate on Expedia. The pre-paid rate on Expedia is $261 per night. I'm not a complete idiot, even if I am a Marriott person.

You folks are arguing that SPG's BRG is better than Marriott's LNF program because IF i could find a rate lower than SPG's pre-paid rate they would match it(.75) and I could still have this lower rate as a flexible rate. Sure. Great. But this is useless when there is no rate (flexible or pre-paid) lower than the pre-paid rate on SPG.

Last edited by lexdevil; May 5, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.