Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe hotels that accommodate 4 on points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Europe hotels that accommodate 4 on points

Does anyone know of any SPG hotels that can accommodate 4 people to one room and be able to pay for that room with points only?

There are very few rooms that aren't outrageously priced in Europe that accommodate 4, nevertheless not need to pay a cash upgrade.

The only one I've found so far is a Marriott hotel, Domes of Elounda in Crete. Everything else is either not bookable with points (and thus an insanely priced penthouse or equivalent) or requires a cash upgrade on top of points.

I'm curious about all of Europe but specifically France and Italy.

TIA

Edit: The reason I need 4 is because in Europe my 2 infants count towards room occupancy limits. The 4 are myself, wife and 2 infants.

Last edited by ennsy; Dec 19, 2017 at 8:56 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Straight from the SPG Terms and Conditions:

3.2 Rooms at Hotels. An SPG Member may redeem Starpoints for single or double occupancy rooms at SPG Participating Hotels and SPG Partner Hotels including, without limitation, for Free Night Awards.

One needs to call to book above Standard rooms classes for SPG awards, ie. suites. Even a suite award, though, is for double occupancy and the hotel can charge for extra guests. If guests 3 and 4 are young children maybe the fee will be waived.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
From Starwood Lurker

The system does not currently support adding children as free extras to award reservations. Hopefully, that will cleared up later this year.

Until then, you can call/chat with the customer contact center to add children according to the child policy of the hotel in question and the limitation of the number of people allowed in the room you selected.
I've stayed easily 100+ nights with 2 adults and 2 children on awards, so the idea that only 2 humans can stay in a room on an award is false.

Europe is much more challenging, as fire codes and space limitations are a bigger restriction than SPG award limitations. With 2 small children, who are willing to share a twin/double bed, you might find something. As my kids got older we always got 2 rooms outside of NA. There may be suite options, but I recall those were rare and more expensive than 2 rooms.

There are other threads on this exact topic - you may want to search and read previous collective wisdom.

How to Maximize Family Friendly Hotel Rooms With SPG
How to Book Starwood Award Nights For More Than Two People
How to Use Points and Have Your Family Stay in One Room in Europe

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 19, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Straight from the SPG Terms and Conditions:

3.2 Rooms at Hotels. An SPG Member may redeem Starpoints for single or double occupancy rooms at SPG Participating Hotels and SPG Partner Hotels including, without limitation, for Free Night Awards.

One needs to call to book above Standard rooms classes for SPG awards, ie. suites. Even a suite award, though, is for double occupancy and the hotel can charge for extra guests. If guests 3 and 4 are young children maybe the fee will be waived.
Thanks for the reply. Guests 3 and 4 are ages 0 and 1...
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
From Starwood Lurker

I've stayed easily 100+ nights with 2 adults and 2 children on awards, so the idea that only 2 humans can stay in a room on an award is false.

Europe is much more challenging, as fire codes and space limitations are a bigger restriction than SPG award limitations. With 2 small children, who are willing to share a twin/double bed, you might find something. As my kids got older we always got 2 rooms outside of NA. There may be suite options, but I recall those were rare and more expensive than 2 rooms.

There are other threads on this exact topic - you may want to search and read previous collective wisdom.

How to Maximize Family Friendly Hotel Rooms With SPG
How to Book Starwood Award Nights For More Than Two People
How to Use Points and Have Your Family Stay in One Room in Europe
Thanks for the tip. It's my wife and I and our 2 infants, both under 2 at time of travel. Hopefully something can be done.

Last edited by ennsy; Dec 19, 2017 at 10:20 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by ennsy
Does anyone know of any SPG hotels that can accommodate 4 people to one room and be able to pay for that room with points only?
I'm curious about all of Europe............
One example: FOUR POINTS BY SHERATON MUNICH
This property has studios that might be perfect for your family.
There are several Four Points in Italy; may have similar room set-ups/
Serviced Apartments Munich Four Points Munich Central
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
One example: FOUR POINTS BY SHERATON MUNICH
This property has studios that might be perfect for your family.
There are several Four Points in Italy; may have similar room set-ups/
Serviced Apartments Munich Four Points Munich Central
Sweet, thanks! I'll check it out.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reply. Guests 3 and 4 are ages 0 and 1...
At this age (up to 3 years) my 2 boys have been staying with the parents in one room at more than 40 SPG hotels all over Europe, from Poland to Spain, from Greece to UK, from Germany to Malta. It has never caused a Problem even though I mostly did not even bother to include them into the booking and just requested a crib and/or child bed.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by red star

At this age (up to 3 years) my 2 boys have been staying with the parents in one room at more than 40 SPG hotels all over Europe, from Poland to Spain, from Greece to UK, from Germany to Malta. It has never caused a Problem even though I mostly did not even bother to include them into the booking and just requested a crib and/or child bed.
So you just booked the room for 2 adults and showed up with the kids? Then once there requested a crib. There was never an issue? Managers were okay with this?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:42 am

The request went into the "comments" field at time of booking. Sometimes I booked 2 adults, sometimes 2 adults1 child and very rarely 2 adults and 2 children. Reason is that the SPG booking engine often does not allow to book the children also into the room even if the hotel policy allows on having them with you. And no, never ever a single issue. Of course I never went so far to book at a hotel with 16 square meter standard rooms. That would probably be asking for trouble.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and you have asked about award (no cash) upgrades up to SU4 ?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whatever you do, do not simply show up with 4 people, having booked for 2. The fact that every other property in the world may have done this for you, does not mean that this one will. The fact that this property did it for you last week, does not mean that this front desk clerk will.

You seem price conscious and there is no better way to run a budget way over than to be told that you must pay the rack rate for a larger room (or worse, that there are none available).

As others note, these things are often related to local fire codes in Europe and thus enforced.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
and you have asked about award (no cash) upgrades up to SU4 ?
None so far have guaranteed it ahead of time. They all say based on availability.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

None so far have guaranteed it ahead of time. They all say based on availability.
Yeah that's too risky for me. Having much more luck with Marriott than SPG currently.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SU4 = highest suite award booking booked through SPG customer service, cant be seen online
not sure how many hotels do or do not offer, not going to be common at lower level brands
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...ml#post6854909
SPG - room
SPG S / SPG SS - upgraded room
SPG SU - suite
SPG SU2 / SPG SU3 / SPG SU4 - upgraded suite

occasionally there might be resort type properties where rooms are in small buildings, and can end up guaranteeing connecting/adjoining rooms because there is only 1 room each in 2 different categories

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.