Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Suite upgrades... are they in the process of drying up?

Suite upgrades... are they in the process of drying up?

Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I'd say half the time I don't have to ask.

The most frustrating ones are the ones that give you a "junior" suite that isn't a suite, just a bigger room with more empty space. Had this happen a couple times recently.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by alphaod
I'd say half the time I don't have to ask.

The most frustrating ones are the ones that give you a "junior" suite that isn't a suite, just a bigger room with more empty space. Had this happen a couple times recently.
I actually prefer junior suites. Oftentimes when the suite has a separate sitting area I end up not using it for much of anything besides passing through. But a large single room allows me to spread out. OTOH, a second bathroom is always nice but those are typically reserved for large, multi-room suites.
Score8 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
Even though I never ask for upgrades...
This could be part of your problem. It can't hurt to write ahead and/or to ask at check-in. Perhaps a hotel is supposed to upgrade you to a suite without your asking, if there is in fact availability - in which case, I'm certainly not defending it not doing so. But whether as a matter of oversight or deliberate policy, a desk agent is less likely to do so if you don't ask.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
A few weeks ago there was some coverage about the You're Platinum with SPG e-mail, whose wording changed sometime around summer to say:

STEP UP YOUR STAY. Enhanced room upgrades at check-in1 and 4 p.m. late checkout2
No longer "including Standard Suites". Perhaps this has been rolled out ahead of 2018 and properties are now adhering to the upcoming terms & conditions not yet seen by members?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by remymartin
A few weeks ago there was some coverage about the You're Platinum with SPG e-mail, whose wording changed sometime around summer to say:

No longer "including Standard Suites". Perhaps this has been rolled out ahead of 2018 and properties are now adhering to the upcoming terms & conditions not yet seen by members?
I believe this was de-bunked and shown to be Gold benefit language accidentally sent to a Plat re-qualifier
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I would also make the case that with the US economy in particular at full steam, I have noticed a greater number of hotels that mention 'residents' meaning the number of employees and consultants that spend every week in the hotel Monday-Thursday. An example would be the Sheraton La Jolla, which is no great shakes, but despite a huge percentage of Club rooms, I have occasionally not gotten one or gotten among the least preferred choices (they have two or three that are actually outside the secured hallways - motel style.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Score8
I would also make the case that with the US economy in particular at full steam, I have noticed a greater number of hotels that mention 'residents' meaning the number of employees and consultants that spend every week in the hotel Monday-Thursday. An example would be the Sheraton La Jolla, which is no great shakes, but despite a huge percentage of Club rooms, I have occasionally not gotten one or gotten among the least preferred choices (they have two or three that are actually outside the secured hallways - motel style.
That's right. I am one of those who NEVER ask for an upgrade (ok, maybe 1-2 stays a year, when it actually matters) and I have noticed the % of proactive upgrades steadily declining. Obviously, I first became Plat in 2009 with the economy being at its worst.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:03 am

I had recently booked an actual Suite and had prepaid for it. At check-in I was handed an envelope stating that I was upgraded. Make matters worse I ended up in a worse layout suite. I stay at this property about 10 times a year.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:20 am

Since the coup, I am staying at a lot more Marriott lately. So yes, my suite upgrades are way down.

Cheers,
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:14 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I am not sure how the relevance of 2018 bookings are to this thread and to a degree the fact some stays were 3rd party bookings and thus any upgrade isnt about your Platinum Status (actually this makes me wonder if somehow you know someone within Starwood or some other form of status that gets you upgrades like this regardless and thus being Platinum / SPG100 is almost irrelevent to you getting upgrades and the service you recieve).

My question however is which I feel would give us better context is of the 2017 hotels you list above which are first time stays and which returning guest?

The other question and a breakdown of which hotels isnt needed but apart from the list how many other stays at Starwood properties have you had this year and what percentage of those were you upgraded to a Suite? Again just gives full context to the answer.

Thanks
I’d be happy to address your points and answer those queries.

I can assure you that I don’t have any special contacts at SPG that somehow are allowing me to get better treatment. In my opinion, the reason for my excellent treatment is a combination of my wonderful Ambassador and my very high spend even for a Plat100 customer, as well as judicious reaching out in advance when appropriate to a hotel GM or manager.

Other than the St Regis San Francisco (where I stay several times a year, as noted) and the St Regis Houston (where I last stayed 5 years ago), ALL of the hotel upgrades referenced in the quoted post (quoted below again to clarify for anyone else interested) are at my first and only stays at those particular hotels.

I included my future Dec 2017 and 2018 hotel stays to show that I’m consistently staying at and getting suite upgrades at the luxury level hotels/brands that I firmly believe and often have suggested offer the best chances for suite upgrades...because they have more suites. I also included the future Dec 2017 and 2018 hotel stays to demonstrate that I have been pre-suite upgraded a number of times...including both the St Regis Houston and St Regis San Francisco, and even the Suiran Kyoto where I’ve never stayed before.

You mention 3rd party bookings, but only my stay at the St Regis Bora Bora was a 3rd party booking (I’d won an Andrew Harper auction for a deluxe overwater villa for 6 nights...and was not expecting any upgrade though I did hope!) For that, my Ambassador and StR BB management still arranged an upgrade to the Royal Overwater Villa for us—the biggest OWV of any hotel in all of Bora Bora and French Polynesia as it were. I had no expectation for any special treatment knowing it was a 3rd party booking. Yet the hotel and my Ambassador really went out of their way to treat us incredibly well, presumably due to my status and the fact that it was to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

But every other stay was booked through SPG channels.

I do not have anyone else besides my amazing Ambassador who helps me get upgrades.

I do reach out occasionally to GMs in advance to highlight a special occasion, going beyond whatever my Ambassador may do on my behalf...but I’ve done the same for almost any luxury hotel stay for a special occasion where I may hope for an upgrade. As an example, during our Jan/Feb 2017 trip to India, I was in contact with the GMs at the Oberoi Udaivilas and Oberoi Amarvilas since the trip overlapped my birthday and was to celebrate our 20th anniversary. The GMs at both hotels were there to greet us on arrival, something a little unusual at both hotels, I suspect. And we did get an upgrade to a Pool Suite at the Oberoi Udaivilas (which did overlap my 47th bday) but no upgrade really at the Oberoi Amarvilas. You win some, but you don’t win them all!

That being said, I didn’t reach out to anyone in advance at the StR Bora Bora even though it did overlap our wedding anniversary—that was all my Ambassador and the hotel accommodating me. I didn’t reach out to anyone at the Gritti Palace Venice or Excelsior Gallia Milan; those again were thanks to my Ambassador and the hotels accommodating me.

I did reach out to the team at the Prince de Galles Paris in advance, since I was hosting the surprise bday party dinner for my husband. I did reach out to the Nines Portland in advance, since I was responsible for getting our friends to also stay at the property and I was interested in trying to arrange a nicer suite upgrade. The hotel sales manager agreed in advance to upgrade me to a nice specialty suite so we could entertain our friends (and since I was only a 1 night stay). In the end, they upgraded us even more and gave us the Nines Suite, the hotel’s top accommodation.

As for my other hotel stays and how many times I was upgraded, it was pretty often but not always. I currently have 148 nights on 83 stays, FWIW. It depends on the hotel type and whether I was traveling with a group (as I often book 20+ rooms at a hotel with my business) or whether I was traveling alone. With my groups, the LM Arlington (expert review posted) always upgrades me to a one bedroom suite or my preferred Executive junior suite; the Sheraton Philadelphia University City (expert review posted) always upgrades me to a one bedroom suite, despite me sometimes telling them I’m fine with a regular room; the LM Philadelphi always upgrades me to a suite; the Sheraton Times Square (expert review posted) has never upgraded me; the Four Points Midtown Times Square upgrades me to a nicer room but never a suite; the Four Points Chelsea (expert review posted) always upgrades me to a terrace suite (best view I’ve had in NYC ironically); the Sheraton Hartford South (expert review posted) always upgrades me to an executive suite; the LM Cambridge (expert review posted) always upgrades me to a suite, including the last stay to its Presidential Suite for my first time; the Sheraton Boston always upgrades me to the same suite; the Westin Charlotte (expert review posted) upgrades me to a nice room usually and once to a suite; the Westin Richmond (expert review posted) usually gives me a room but last stay upgraded me to a suite. For individual stays, The Parker LM New York upgraded me to a suite. The Chatwal has always upgraded me to a suite. The Sheraton Commander Cambridge always uparaded me to a suite. The Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf SF never upgraded me to a suite, only an upgraded room. The W San Francisco has upgraded me to a suite about half the time and to a corner room about half the time. The Westin Colonnade Coral Gbales (now Tribute) upgraded me usually to a suite, but infrequently to a nicer room. The Westin San Jose (expert review posted) always upgrades me to a junior suite or nicer. The W Los Angeles/Westwood (expert review posted) always upgraded me to a suite. I just stayed at the Gwen Chicago, and I was upgraded with SNA to junior suite but offered the Presidential for my last night (I declined)...with an expert review forthcoming!

I hope that info satisfactorily answers the questions you posed!

I am of the opinion that I'm a particularly high revenue SPG Plat100 customer, largely because of the many SPG Pro groups I organize that I put at SPG hotels whenever possible as part of my business...and also due to the fact that I spend a lot on paid stays at SPG luxury hotels and a lot on food/beverage and spa/excursions even on award stays at such SPG luxury hotels. I believe that my higher spend is a factor in my excellent treatment by SPG...though I have no way to prove that other than the examples I’ve already shared.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
As an SPG Platinum 100 Ambassador level guest, I've been able to enjoy a massive number of exceptional suite upgrades...

My most recent examples:

St Regis San Francisco--heading in another week for 3 night paid entry level room stay, already upgraded to Metropolitan Suite (no SNA), allowed to bring 110 lb dog despite 35 lb weight limit

St Regis Houston--Dec 2017 just returned from 3 night paid entry level room stay, upgraded to Astor Suite (no SNA), allowed to take Plat breakfast with room service, called by name by valets and some front desk staff. truly wonderful service

St Regis San Francisco--Nov 2017 for 2 night paid entry level stay, upgraded to Metropolitan Suite (no SNA)

Prince de Galles Paris--Oct 2017 for 4 night award stay for husband's bday, upgraded to Makassar Suite (SNA), provided exemplary service for us and bday party guests

Hotel Imperial Vienna--Oct 2017 for 3 night paid and award stays with mother, upgraded to Imperial Suite (SNA), mother upgraded to Elisabeth Suite, VIP piano concert comp'd tickets, truly outstanding service

St Regis Rome--Oct 2017 for 4 night award stay in junior suite, shown excellent service

St Regis Bahia Beach Puerto Rico--Feb 2017 for 3 night paid stay, upgraded to St Regis Suite (no SNA), comp'd Plat breakfast for room service

The Nines Portland--Aug 2017 for 1 night for paid stay, upgrade to the Nines Suite (no SNA), best in hotel suite

SLS Beverly Hills--June 2017 for 1 night for paid stay, upgraded to suite (no SNA), given f&b credit after disappointment with suite, unbelievable service, allowed to bring 110 lb dog despite 35 lb weight limit

St Regis San Francisco--Oct-Dec 2016 multiple paid stays and 1 award stay, always upgraded to Astor or Metropolitan Suites (no SNA), Aman like service and treatment

Excelsior Gallia Milan--Oct 2016 for 3 nights award stay, upgraded to Atelier Suite (no SNA)

Gritti Palace Venice--Oct 2016 for 4 night award stay, upgraded to Sestiere Suite (well above SNA), given comp'd Riva Excursion, truly world class Aman like service and treatment

St Regis Bora Bora--May 2016 for 6 night paid 3rd party stay, upgraded to Royal Overwater Villa (no SNA), given personal butler for entire stay, allowed f&B credit for unused 1 night non-refundable stay missed due to canceled flight saving me $2000, truly amazing service and treatment

St Regis Punta Mita--Nov 2015 for 5 night award stay, upgraded to deluxe suite (no SNA), amazing service and treatment

SPG obviously has been extremely good to us. We are very loyal to SPG and SPG is very loyal to us. We also occasionally have stayed at other top luxury hotels when appropriate (Amanbagh, Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodphur, The Lodhi Delhi, Oberoi Udaivilas, Amangiri, etc), usually when the SPG luxury option isn't available or isn't comparably luxurious, so we have a very good perspective on what top luxury and extraordinary service really mean.

For 2018 we have coming up:

St Regis Punta Mita--Jan 2018 for 5 nights in villa for my birthday, combo of points and paid upgrade

St Regis New York--Mar 2018 for 2 nights paid, SNA applied

St Regis Atlanta--Mar 2018 for 2 nights paid

Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho--May 2018 for 3 nights award stay, SNAs applied

Suiran Kyoto--May 2018 for 5 nights award stay, comp upgrade to Premier Room already confirmed

St Regis Osaka--May 2018 for 3 nights award stay, SNAs applied

(also Ritz Carlton Kyoto for 2 nights)

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 13, 2017 at 11:33 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
1 SNA Giveaway

Hello, I have left one suite night award in 2017 which I don't use (all other cleared successful).
If anybody need it, pls pvt. me to apply it to your reservation or do a new one in your name.

Kay-Uwe
SPG/P100
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kenji
Hello, I have left one suite night award in 2017 which I don't use (all other cleared successful).
If anybody need it, pls pvt. me to apply it to your reservation or do a new one in your name.

Kay-Uwe
SPG/P100
They are not transferable.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
They are not transferable.
They are. I have booked a stay for a friend using my SPG PRO account and his address/SPG no. and applied 1 SNA which cleared successful.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kenji
They are. I have booked a stay for a friend using my SPG PRO account and his address/SPG no. and applied 1 SNA which cleared successful.
Sorry for the bad info. I was just going by what I read in the T&Cs.

Can I give Suite Night Awards as a gift or transfer them to someone else?

Your Suite Night Awards are for your use only. You may not gift or transfer them. However, if you’re traveling with family and require two rooms you may request an upgrade for both rooms as long as you have enough Suite Night Awards to cover all nights for each room. Please note that both rooms must be confirmed under your name and you must stay in one of the rooms.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe....html?view=faq

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.