Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott to retain both AMEX and Chase credit cards

Marriott to retain both AMEX and Chase credit cards

Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I really, truly hope not.
Heartily agree - Hilton already has the worst top tier among the majors, and now they've made it even more worthless. Pray Marriott doesn't make the same mistake.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Heartily agree - Hilton already has the worst top tier among the majors, and now they've made it even more worthless. Pray Marriott doesn't make the same mistake.
At least SPG rewards those that stay in their hotel though. If someone has 75 or 100 nights they get more benefits. Hilton diamonds with 250 nights a year get treated no differently than someone who has status with a credit card (hopefully Hilton will add a tier or do what SPG does and give priority for upgrades and other benefits to those with at least 75 nights a year over credit card diamonds).

What I find surprising is in this thread almost everyone seems opposed to Marriott/SPG giving out status with a credit card but in the Hilton Am Ex thread most people seem to be in favor of them giving out diamond status with the new am ex cards.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's not necessarily true. The RC premium card requires $75K spend for Plat. It offers other benefits (club upgrades, travel credits, etc.) to justify its premium fee.
I can't imagine many people achieved Plat by $75k in general spend on the RC card. That would be the most costly possible way I can think of to hit Plat. If people spent a lot on that card, it's because they were actually staying in Marriotts to begin with and therefore were going to hit status either way.

Anyway, the bar has been set. A new super-premium card with a Marriott brand on it is going to look pretty weak if it merely confers Gold status. HH Diamond is out there for the taking, and let's be honest: as much as we bag on Diamond, it's no worse than Marriott Platinum. Marriott at least has one card up its sleeve for real road warriors: it can keep the higher levels of SPG Plat intact in some way.

I honestly *hope* I'm wrong and the super-premium offering includes a certain number of confirmed suite upgrades instead. I'd rather be mere Gold but know I had, say, 3 confirmed upgrades per year at any Marriott/SPG brand that had meaningful upgrades to give. I just don't sense that's coming, as it'd be a whole new award mechanic to introduce to the Marriott system. They'll do what's easy, and that's give people the base Plat level.

All super-premium cards have travel credits. That's a basic, expected benefit of this card. $200-250 rebate on airlines, waive my Global Entry fee, etc. Net cost to me needs to be $200 or less before hotel benefits are factored in or the whole product is dead on arrival.

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
As someone with an Amex SPG card and the Chase Ritz Card, I wonder how this is going to play out.
My guess is that SPG Amex stays essentially the same. That'll be the "midlevel" (default) product. No idea on the RC card. Option to convert it straight to the premium product when they roll it out? I can see some members not wanting the card if it doesn't retain its Ritz-specific benefits. It'll be interesting to see how/if the combined company decides to keep the luxury brands "different" from the rest of the brand stack.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pinniped
HH Diamond is out there for the taking, and let's be honest: as much as we bag on Diamond, it's no worse than Marriott Platinum
Have both, and don't agree with that all. Hilton Diamond isn't even worth $40K credit card spend. Marriott Plat I will absolutely stretch to 75 nights (or 25 SPG stays - haven't decided which) to keep.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
What I find surprising is in this thread almost everyone seems opposed to Marriott/SPG giving out status with a credit card but in the Hilton Am Ex thread most people seem to be in favor of them giving out diamond status with the new am ex cards.
Probably because Hilton Diamond was already easy to make (as it could be done on spend before), plus it's not like there are all that many benefits marginally on top of Gold? So if the implied value is already a lot less, might as well give it away for free!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway, the bar has been set. A new super-premium card with a Marriott brand on it is going to look pretty weak if it merely confers Gold status. HH Diamond is out there for the taking, and let's be honest: as much as we bag on Diamond, it's no worse than Marriott Platinum.
4pm guaranteed check-out? That alone makes it a differentiator for me.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
My guess is that SPG Amex stays essentially the same. That'll be the "midlevel" (default) product.
Wouldn't that require that AmEx sells that portfolio to Chase? AmEx is only doing the super-premium and business cards.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Have both, and don't agree with that all. Hilton Diamond isn't even worth $40K credit card spend. Marriott Plat I will absolutely stretch to 75 nights (or 25 SPG stays - haven't decided which) to keep.

AMEN to this. Im both a Hilton Diamond and Marriott Platinum; and in the USA, the Lounges of Hilton are very inferior and treatment is somewhat inferior. There are a few exceptions but not many. In Europe, they are similar.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
When some of us suggested that they might keep both Chase and Amex, most people thought we were crazy. Well, we might be crazy, but we were also right!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by craigthemif

The writing is on the wall, however, if neither bank could find enough value to pay extra for exclusivity.
Or perhaps the level of competition was held very, very high by Marriott, and thus a greater total value was extracted by retaining both? Get what you're saying on the nationality thing, though - total b.s.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
Looks like I need to jump on the SPG Business card sooner than later..
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
So what is everyone's thoughts on the Marriott cc bonus? That is, do you think it would be best to apply now or wait until Marriott rolls out the new card and get the bonus then? Trying to time the best bonus (Unlike Hilton Amex, which I timed horribly!)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've been Marriott Plat for 15 of the past 20 years (now lifetime Gold) and HH Diamond for 10 of the past 20, including the past 4. Most of my best upgrades over the years have been at international Hiltons. In the US and Canada, neither status means much at all except extra points.

SPG Plat is another story. I only held that for 3 1/2 years pre-merger, then dropped to Gold, and felt that the SPG Plat experience was something more special. More suites in those 3 years than in all of my Marriott and HH experiences combined.

If Marriott can somehow keep the secret sauce of SPG Plat alive into the future, then no question about it - it's a better status than HH Diamond. But if they can't, meh, it's basically the same thing. C-level usually. A mention from the FDC. Some extra points.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Wouldn't that require that AmEx sells that portfolio to Chase? AmEx is only doing the super-premium and business cards.
Hmmm. Guess I didn't pick up on that. Then I'm not sure...I guess for myself, I'd probably upgrade my SPG Amex to the super-premium version assuming it continued to be a solid place for my general spend. I wouldn't expect Chase and Amex to be selling accounts to each other, but I guess stranger things have happened.

The Chase Marriott cards are lame for general spend. I have two of them simply because I can still find Category 5 hotels that are worth more than $85 to me. If Chase ends up being the "mid-tier", maybe I'll keep one. Too soon to tell...
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I've been Marriott Plat for 15 of the past 20 years (now lifetime Gold) and HH Diamond for 10 of the past 20, including the past 4. Most of my best upgrades over the years have been at international Hiltons. In the US and Canada, neither status means much at all except extra points.

SPG Plat is another story. I only held that for 3 1/2 years pre-merger, then dropped to Gold, and felt that the SPG Plat experience was something more special. More suites in those 3 years than in all of my Marriott and HH experiences combined.

If Marriott can somehow keep the secret sauce of SPG Plat alive into the future, then no question about it - it's a better status than HH Diamond. But if they can't, meh, it's basically the same thing. C-level usually. A mention from the FDC. Some extra points.
I have no status at SPG but get upgrades and a 4 p.m. guaranteed checkout as part of the Delta crossover program and I've had better luck with upgrades lately at SPG with kettle status and being a Delta diamond than I have at Hilton as a multi-year diamond. My biggest complaint with Hilton is they don't guarantee a late checkout and SPG and Hyatt have both received a few stays in the past couple months that would have gone to Hilton just because I had later flights and needed a late check out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.