Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott to retain both AMEX and Chase credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott to retain both AMEX and Chase credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I rarely ask hotels for late checkouts so I can't compare how they all react to it. Once in a while a Starwood FDC will point it out to me that I'm welcome to stay until 4PM (without my asking), and I do appreciate that...even though I don't usually need it. I also like how Marriott's check-in process allows you to set your check-out time in the app. If you like late checkouts but hate feeling like you have to grovel for them at the front desk, this is a substantial improvement.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I'm curious how a "super-premium" Amex SPG/MR card could work, other than conferring status. If I could pay $650/yr (vs. $550/yr + $95/yr) for Amex Platinum SPG which got Amex Platinum benefits plus let me earn SPG points at the SPG card rate, I might do it, particularly if it did something like $200-300/yr in hotel reimbursements, $200-300/yr in travel reimbursements (or, say, multiple free nights on top of SPG points). I don't have amex personal platinum but do have business platinum (for centurion lounge and some other stuff; net of fees it comes out at $20/visit or less, which is worth it, and amextravel is sometimes useful).

I'd obviously be willing to pay $200-300/yr more than the $95 card if it got me value -- either >10k points/yr extra, or a free night or two in cat 1-6, or something. I'm generally split between SPG Amex and Chase Sapphire Reserve when buying stuff, unless it's a specific vendor where their own card is better (Amazon, UA, VX, etc.). I doubt they'd do anything crazy like "uncapped extra extra point per dollar spent" because then I'd be getting >3% back.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:32 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yeunganson
September 2017. You can't apply to Chase Canada's Mariott or Amazon card anymore. The whole portfolio has been sold to Scotiabank.
So for us current Marriott Chase customers, we're still fine?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Absolute
As I read it, we're still fine (but only in the U.S.). For now.

Once the new cards are announced, I would not be surprised if the benefits tied to the current Marriott Rewards VISA cards for personal and business use (of which I have one each) may not change a bit to align with the overall new Marriott/Starwood credit card portfolio.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Dec 12, 2017 at 6:09 am Reason: Edited to make it clear this was a US-centric response
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:48 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Absolute
If the new program is no longer Marriott, then I imagine the rights go to Scotiabank and Chase Canada can't issue new merged SPG/Marriott points.

It won't make any sense if Scotiabank pays for the full Chase Canada credit card portfolio but didn't buy the Canadian card-issuing rights for Amazon and Marriott. So I expect if the merged program has a completely different name and different points program, then all the current Marriott Chase Canada card members will get their card discontinued. Then Scotiabank will issue merged SPG/Marriott program cards in the Canadian market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.