Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Property not honoring benefits on Priceline stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:51 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

When staying on a Priceline rate, my understanding is that we do not earn night credits or points on room charges, but we are entitled to platinum benefits such as room upgrades, green choice points, platinum amenity and lounge accesss(Sheraton). Has this changed or am I misunderstanding (and prior properties were generous when I did get the benefits but no night credit/points)?

I called a hotel (Sheraton) I’m checkong into tomorrow to ask them to add my SPG number so that I would be given some preference on room assignment as well as the other aforementioned benefits. The reception was very adamant that I am not entitled to any SPG benefits because I am on a 3rd party rate. I’ve had a few PL stays this year at other SPG properties with no issues doing this. Before I out the hotel name I want to be sure I’m fully understanding the program which I’ve been a member for 19 years and didn’t miss anything.

If I am correct in my interpretation of the t&c I would ask that a lurker PM me for further intervention. I called the plat concierge tonight and the rep was also adamant that the hotel is correctly interpreting the policy and said I would have to take it up with the front desk on arrival, so she was of little help. I prefer not wait til 10pm when I check in to sort this out.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PHL
When staying on a Priceline rate, my understanding is that we do not earn night credits or points on room charges, but we are entitled to platinum benefits such as room upgrades, green choice points, platinum amenity and lounge accesss(Sheraton).
You should be able to get Green Choice, but you are not entitled to any status-related benefits when booking through an OTA. This has always been the case.
Diplomatico and remymartin like this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
If you received Plat benefits at other properties when previously booking through Priceline, consider yourself fortunate. It's not the policy nor should it be expected.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
General principle (subject to exceptions) is that OTA booking = no status benefits.
I can completely understand SPG not wanting to pay out money in ththe current environment to new customers arriving with a hefty customer acquisition fee.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The rule is:

A Gold Preferred Guest or Platinum Preferred Guest must pay an Eligible Rate or redeem an SPG Award or SPG Promotion Reward for each night during his/her entire stay at an SPG Participating Hotel to receive Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status benefits during his/her stay.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...nguage=en_US#9

I believe Marriott is the only major program that still provides full elite benefits on OTA rates.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
I believe Marriott is the only major program that still provides full elite benefits on OTA rates.
Fairmont as well. (Unless you don't consider it major enough.)
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Fairmont as well. (Unless you don't consider it major enough.)
While there are some very nice Fairmonts out there, I was thinking of Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and SPG. And I guess Accor, though their presence in the US is pretty limited.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:01 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
It just means these chains don't want your business. Next time book elsewhere!

Can you imagine if I booked my airfare at expedia and they said I couldn't use the lounge, upgrade certs, or priority boarding? The fact that FTers accept this like lemmings is quite hilarious, too!
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:24 pm

While there are some very nice Fairmonts out there, I was thinking of Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and SPG.
I guess that limiting the choices to only the ones that prove your point is one way to CYA.

If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of...
Srisarin likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
General principle (subject to exceptions) is that OTA booking = no status benefits.
I can completely understand SPG not wanting to pay out money in ththe current environment to new customers arriving with a hefty customer acquisition fee.
I never understood why they exclude those rates - they only discourage ppl from pushing to qualify in order to have those perks.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I never understood why they exclude those rates - they only discourage ppl from pushing to qualify in order to have those perks.
They'd rather push people to book on their own sites. It's one way to separate the customers they want from the ones they don't. With BRG, there's very rarely a reason to book elsewhere anywhere. As for opaque websites, those are for people who don't care where they stay - another demographic that the chains don't want.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I guess that limiting the choices to only the ones that prove your point is one way to CYA.

If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of...
When you talk about the major hotel programs, I don't think Fairmont really makes the list. They claim "more than 70 hotels" worldwide. I'm not sure where the cut-off for "major programs" is, as that's somewhat subjective, but I'd posit a chain needs at least 500 properties. Otherwise you're including a bunch of chains that many of us have never heard of, let alone stayed with.

Oh, and have a pleasant evening
Flews likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
It just means these chains don't want your business. Next time book elsewhere!

Can you imagine if I booked my airfare at expedia and they said I couldn't use the lounge, upgrade certs, or priority boarding? The fact that FTers accept this like lemmings is quite hilarious, too!
I book many of my stays using BRGs. Why book elsewhere if you can get a 20% cheaper rate or 2000 point with all the benefits of the program by booking through the website.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:41 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
When you talk about the major hotel programs, I don't think Fairmont really makes the list. They claim "more than 70 hotels" worldwide. I'm not sure where the cut-off for "major programs" is, as that's somewhat subjective, but I'd posit a chain needs at least 500 properties. Otherwise you're including a bunch of chains that many of us have never heard of, let alone stayed with.

Oh, and have a pleasant evening
Given Fairmont is owned by Accor, I would say they are major

https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/brand...fairmont.shtml
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:12 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Thanks for the replies. I guess I have been lucky then, because in my numerous PL stays in 2017 (along with many regular priced stays booked through SPG that earned Platinum), I was always able to call the hotel ahead of time to add my SPG number and also be given lounge access, Plat Amenity and green points. Also occasionally a suite. I always thought the policy only penalized 3rd party bookings by not giving credit for nights and points on room rate, but preserved the guest benefits.

To the other comments about booking BRG... I travel almost every week as a contractor on an all inclusive hourly rate. So, I can stay a motel 6 or a Ritz Carlton since the client never sees my actual expenses. Therefore, I work to keep my hourly travel budget within a certain range. In the case of the property I booked, I am saving about 30% on the total stay. If it was once in a while thing, I might pay that extra 30% to get the full benefits and points. But over time, saving 25% here and 30% there overrides the benefits of getting points. That 25-30% savings over a year's time is worth a good bit more money than the points earned to get free nights (yes, even with bonuses).

I do, however, agree with the sentiments that just because a customer is booking on a 3rd party site doesn't mean they aren't loyal. The hotel is still earning revenue, and a recognized frequent guest of the program shouldn't be penalized just because they sought out a cheaper rate. But that's the nature of the travel business these days. The airlines have implemented a similar model with the "basic economy" fares that save a small amount of money, but doesn't offer *some* of the elite benefits like advance seat selection and upgrades.
felicity5 and flockavelliFT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.