Wiki Posts
Search

Spending to get 2018 Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Bonvoy Ambassador
Spending to get 2018 Platinum

Heading into the end of the year it looks like I will be 5 stays short of platinum. Using the 2 for 1 stay special effective until Dec 15 I could book 3 un-needed stays for about ~300 dollars and get to 25. Is it worth the $300?

SPG is great but I have found myself using Hyatt a lot more lately or keeping somewhat in the SPG empire but booking Marriot or Ritz properties. I have Hyatt explorist this year but will have no status with them next year.

A
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Thepointsguy has a good overview of the benefits and what they are worth. I find his values a little bit too high, but I think Platinum is easily worth $300. The breakfast benefit alone is easily worth more.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
It should be pretty easy to get that much value out of it, but if you are only staying at domestic Westins and Sheratons and moving most of your stays to Hyatt then maybe not. Platinum also has decent value at Marriott and Ritz properties, so even if you're not staying a ton at SPG, it still may be worth it.

But no one can really answer this question without some additional details regarding your planned stays for 2018 plus the value you place on lounge access/hotel breakfast.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I loved being Plat with SPG for the breakfast and lounge access alone. Not sure if you travel internationally but that is really where the Plat status shines with lounges. The food, drinks and just extra space more than makes up for the cost in my opinion. And the occasional upgrade to a suite is also pretty fun, especially when it is on a family trip.

I've also gotten some help from the hotel ahead of trips for reservations, recommendations, room changes etc. They just seem to be more helpful when you have the status.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott AMB, Hyatt Globalist
You could also consider signing up for the SPG credit card which gives you 5 nights / 2 stay credit.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowtothewall
You could also consider signing up for the SPG credit card which gives you 5 nights / 2 stay credit.
Wow didn't realize that was an option.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:40 pm

Don't forget that SPG platinum gets you Marriott platinum also.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by areale
Wow didn't realize that was an option.

Thanks!
That's what I had to do to have a chance to re-qualify for Platinum this year, as a lot of my business was in areas not served by SPG. No fee for the first year, so it doesn't even cost you anything. And IIRC, the nights/stays credit almost immediately upon getting the card (well, immediately being within a couple of days). Honestly, now that I have the card, I wish I had gotten it a long time ago.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsumh316
Don't forget that SPG platinum gets you Marriott platinum also.
Good point. I knew that in the back of my head but I wasn't fully aware of the benefits. I just checked them and they're not bad.

Thanks for the reminder.

A
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by windowtothewall
It's a pretty good rewards card too.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 248N8
I loved being Plat with SPG for the breakfast and lounge access alone. Not sure if you travel internationally but that is really where the Plat status shines with lounges. The food, drinks and just extra space more than makes up for the cost in my opinion. And the occasional upgrade to a suite is also pretty fun, especially when it is on a family trip.

I've also gotten some help from the hotel ahead of trips for reservations, recommendations, room changes etc. They just seem to be more helpful when you have the status.
Yeah good point. I agree.

I travel internationally 2-4 times a year mostly for pleasure. Not sure what's in store for 2018 but looking like Argentina or Thailand or maybe New Zealand for a big trip and maybe a smaller one to France or Italy + domestic travel to chicago, LA, SF, Seattle maybe Austin / Vegas / Montreal.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eeebee
That's what I had to do to have a chance to re-qualify for Platinum this year, as a lot of my business was in areas not served by SPG. No fee for the first year, so it doesn't even cost you anything. And IIRC, the nights/stays credit almost immediately upon getting the card (well, immediately being within a couple of days). Honestly, now that I have the card, I wish I had gotten it a long time ago.
Good to know. My only reservation is that I have AMEX Platinum card and chase sapphire reserve and thinking about Citi prestige but I have always been curious about the SPG card.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spgplat21
It should be pretty easy to get that much value out of it, but if you are only staying at domestic Westins and Sheratons and moving most of your stays to Hyatt then maybe not. Platinum also has decent value at Marriott and Ritz properties, so even if you're not staying a ton at SPG, it still may be worth it.

But no one can really answer this question without some additional details regarding your planned stays for 2018 plus the value you place on lounge access/hotel breakfast.
Good point and it's hard to say exactly whats on the books for 2018 but something like Argentina or Thailand or maybe New Zealand for a big trip and maybe a smaller one to France or Italy + domestic travel to chicago, LA, SF, Seattle maybe Austin / Vegas / Montreal.

Also will be in Geneva over New Years but booked at the Ritz and a small boutique in Zermatt. Might do SPG back in Geneva before flight back EWR but that will be in 2018
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by areale
Heading into the end of the year it looks like I will be 5 stays short of platinum. Using the 2 for 1 stay special effective until Dec 15 I could book 3 un-needed stays for about ~300 dollars and get to 25. Is it worth the $300?

SPG is great but I have found myself using Hyatt a lot more lately or keeping somewhat in the SPG empire but booking Marriot or Ritz properties. I have Hyatt explorist this year but will have no status with them next year.

A
Have you already registered for this offer? If not, it's probably too late. Also, are you sure that stays as well as nights count double?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you already registered for this offer? If not, it's probably too late. Also, are you sure that stays as well as nights count double?
Yeah I signed up in sept and it's good until 12/15. Pretty sweet deal.
https://www.spgpromos.com/selectmemb..._LC_DT_SCD_ENG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.