No points for airport transfer?

Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
No points for airport transfer?

I checked out of the St Regis Bangkok yesterday. It was an ok stay but I felt that the shine has come off the hotel somewhat. Things like being told my room has been upgraded when it clearly hadn't been, having bags delivered to my room that weren't mine, having the express check out card placed on my bed two nights before I was due to check out, no one helping me with my bags on check out (no offer) etc. It's as though the service standards are slipping a bit.

My points posted today. It was a reward stay so I was only expecting a few points however, what posted was a very small amount, less than 30. I'd had a few drinks at the hotel and I had also used the airport transfer service at a cost of around $98 USD so I had expected around 300 to post (I am platinum).

I just used the online chat to speak to SPG but the person at the other end was frankly terrible. She said she couldn't check anything for me, couldn't speak to the hotel, couldn't check my folio. She said I would have to get a copy of the bill, scan it in, fax it or email it over to them (to prove my purchase) and they would consider whether to add any points. The whole process would take 7-10 days. What a joke! I asked her directly if she could contact the hotel, no she said, just no. There was no apology, nothing. I am quite shocked as I have never had such bad service on the chat system before.

Anyway, thats my whinge over. Does anyone know if it normal not to receive star points for airport transfers/limousine services?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
That is correct. Similar thread last week.

Possible missing points?

$98 for airport transfer in BKK? Wow, just wow!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by matthandy
Anyway, thats my whinge over. Does anyone know if it normal not to receive star points for airport transfers/limousine services?
Very common actually, most hotel would outsource the limo service to a local provider, it is very much like a 'paid out' which would not earn points.
In some cases, even the restaurant do not earn starpoints for example Taka by Sushi Saito at the St Regis Kuala Lumpur.
In any case the FAQ states the following on eligible charges:

"Eligible Charges are Eligible Rates, food & beverage charges(excluding alcoholic beverages where prohibited by law), laundry & dry cleaning,
telephone & in-room faxes, in-room movies & in-room video games."

So your transfer is not included

"Ineligible charges include, but are not limited to: taxes, service charges, gratuities, parking, recreational charges
(includes charges related to golf, spa, watersport rentals, etc.)"
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Oh well, that is quite disappointing since the hotel is obviously making a profit on the service.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
That is correct. Similar thread last week.

Possible missing points?

$98 for airport transfer in BKK? Wow, just wow!
Yes. That’s what it costs. I prefer it to getting a taxi. They meet you right in the arrivals hall, car is just outside. It’s an S class, very comfortable. No tolls to pay. When you arrive at the hotel they already know that you are coming so the staff are waiting for you to check you in. I always use a taxi back to the airport.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:26 am

Wherever there is an airport, there is a private transfer service. Most will meet you in arrivals and take you direct to a hotel for much less than the hotels limo service. Just Google " transfers from X airport to destination hotel" . Most use quality vehicles( Mercs etc). All the knees around Europe that I have used have proved to be very reliable.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Yes, I know.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Transfer will be excluded as often are Spa treatments and similar! As for $98 for a transfer in Bangkok, why is the only thought that springs to mind!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.