Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Confused: I thought the Athens King George and Grande Bretagne were Starwood owned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused: I thought the Athens King George and Grande Bretagne were Starwood owned?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2017...psa-sa-hotels/
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Ownership, management, and branding are very separate things. That's the way it's been since major chains started working an asset-light strategy.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I know Starwood owns very few of the SPG portfolio. No reason to take on the risk.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
I know Starwood owns very few of the SPG portfolio. No reason to take on the risk.
As Marriott doesn't own any of its managed properties, this trend will likely continue. i.e. few currently Starwood owned properties will be sold off soon.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless I specifically know otherwise, I assume that all chain hotels are only either franchised or managed by the chain and actually owned by some other entity. However, it can be hard to actually ascertain the ownership. For example, when I try to google something like "hotels in [state] owned by [ownership entity]", for the purpose of either booking or avoiding hotels owned by particular organizations, I generally just get a list of the major hotels, including many that I know are owned by someone else. You have to go to the owner entity's website and look for a list of the properties they own, which might or might not be out-of-date.

I wish Starriot, Hyatt, Hilton, etc. would require a statement of ownership on each hotel's official website.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
....I wish Starriot, Hyatt, Hilton, etc. would require a statement of ownership on each hotel's official website.
Many countries or states require disclosure as such. You can often see a plaque displaying actual owner/operator of the property although sometime it is in an out of the way place.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
Many countries or states require disclosure as such. You can often see a plaque displaying actual owner/operator of the property although sometime it is in an out of the way place.
I want to know before arriving at the hotel (and in fact before making a reservation).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

According to Starwood's 2015 annual report, the most recent I could find online, they only owned 32 properties, and they had sold 6 the previous year.

I found this list of owned properties dating back to 2013, so I'm sure some are long since sold:

https://s1.q4cdn.com/483583335/files...0-%20Final.pdf
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I want to know before arriving at the hotel (and in fact before making a reservation).
Why ?

What does a guest do differently before making a reservation and before arriving at the hotel when they know who owns it ?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Why ?

What does a guest do differently before making a reservation and before arriving at the hotel when they know who owns it ?
Perhaps not book it. I would want to know the owners mostly for political correctness reasons. ie.. I would never stay at a Trump owned hotel....or whose owner is known to discriminate against gays or minorities.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Grande Bretagne and the King George are owned by Lampsa Hellenic Hotels - originally founded by one of the people behind the Grande Bretagne and which I would expect would still be largely family controlled. I haven't done a full DD on its shareholders though!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Why ?

There are some ownership groups that are notoriously bad and I would like to avoid their hotels. Others are very good; I consider this a positive signal for a hotel which with I am unfamiliar or when I am choosing between several hotels in approximately the same location.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:13 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
There are some ownership groups that are notoriously bad and I would like to avoid their hotels. Others are very good; I consider this a positive signal for a hotel which with I am unfamiliar or when I am choosing between several hotels in approximately the same location.
Many hotels are owned in REIT's, so you could check those records also. It's funny that the Starwood REIT (symbol STWD) isn't actually SPG, but rather commercial buildings and mortgages. I believe that Marriott started this when they spun off Host and their properties.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
These hotels are credible contenders for best run Starwood Hotels in Europe, so I think you’re good on that front.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbAA
...........Starwood REIT (symbol STWD) isn't actually SPG, but rather commercial buildings and mortgages.......
Starwood REIT is run by Starwood Capital which is completely separate from Starwood Hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.