Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If 4 Plats checked in at the same time...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Ooo. Now that's interesting that LT Plats get priority. So hotels will know who are LTPs and other Plats then...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
I have heard the same about this list, but from experience i have almost the same kind of upgrade as a 75 than a 100 now... to be honest i didn't feel any difference. I just feel the difference in case of issue for exemple.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Ooo. Now that's interesting that LT Plats get priority. So hotels will know who are LTPs and other Plats then...
They most certainly do.

I've been Plat 50/75/100 for several years and now LT Plat recently

The greetings both from call center agents and from hotel check in staff have been very different for the different rungs for me.

"Thank you for being a lifetime Platinum member" is what I hear now from both.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:00 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’ve been pre-upgraded to a suite well over 2 weeks in advance for most of my most recent stays at the StR San Francisco, the Westin San Jose, the W Los Angeles, and again even for my upcoming stay at the StR Houston in 10 days.

I do believe that being Plat100 and/or high revenue does prioritize one above LT Plats—as well it should. There’s a reason why LT Plats don’t get SNAs or other elevated benefits.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Also the ones that makes the most noise. People like me who don't really complain much will have the lowest priority.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif
In my experience, it is hotel management that is generous or not - and the more often you stay at a specific hotel, the more reliable the upgrades. I have no doubt that I would receive the better upgrade at the hotel I frequently stay at, even if a SPG100 walked in the door beside me.
This is also my experience.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Four Platinums checking in simultaneously would result in zero upgrades most of the time, except for the pre-allocated upgrades. How many times have you read reports of a DYKWIA and a manager needed to be consulted? Most of the time...

What I find odd is that ages after the introduction of SPG 50, 75, etc. people are still trying to figure out whether recognition standards are different. In my experience, it is hotel management that is generous or not - and the more often you stay at a specific hotel, the more reliable the upgrades. I have no doubt that I would receive the better upgrade at the hotel I frequently stay at, even if a SPG100 walked in the door beside me.
+1. Entirely depends on the hotel. Could be 1 Plat checking in and x number of suites available (inside and outside of the upgrade pool), and he gets nothing. Or, worse -- I had a pre-assigned suite -- saw it in my phone app while waiting to check in. A guy in front of me schmoozed the front desk attendant -- she initially refused, then after spending good 5 minutes clicking on the keyboard " found" him a suite. He left the desk beaming ear to ear. When I got to the front desk my room "miraculously" became regular one again. I cannot say who the guy in front of me was -- a regular, a Plat or just a tall good looking conversationalist. Had to DYKWIA, told the attendant that she gave my suite to the handsome guy, asked for the manager, she became irate, but after clicking on the keyboard for good 10 minutes, found me one. In practical terms, my insistence paid off big time: on Wednesday neighbors started a party somewhere around my bedroom at 3 AM. I escaped to another one, shut the door, and slept like a baby.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
That is similar to the math question in grade school, the answer is train B, train B always gets there first

staying at SPG four points Perth and got the upgraded room on check-in so I am train B
I thought 42 was the answer to everything in the universe.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If 4 Plats checked in at a hotel at the same time and there are only 3 Suites to give out, who will be left out?
The SPG100, SPG75, SPG50 or SPG25 ?
SPG25: I want to be upgraded to the junior suite.
FDC: Done.
SPG50: I want to be upgraded to the full suite.
SPG75: I want to be upgraded to the presidential suite.
SPG100: DYKWIA? I don't want to stay with these other peons in the same hotel, please walk to a Hilton or something.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by clublounger
What a HUGE "if".
Not that big of 'if' as I routinely travel with my two colleagues. All three of us have SPG platinum status through Marriott. One of us is platinum premier with Marriott, another is both lifetime platinum and platinum premier, and I'm platinum. We routinely fly on the same flight and use the mobile application to check-in with our anticipated time.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by supergabe
Out of curiosity I asked an associate while checking in if she was able to see what level of SPG Platinum people had during check-in, and she said she had to click through a few windows deep to get that level of detail. I can count the number of times I've been greeted as an ambassador services guest on one hand. My guess would be that the suites would be handed out in order of arrival.
And that's assuming someone working the front desk actually knows the difference between the various levels. There are enough reports across multiple hotel brands that front desk clerks don't always grasp the status tiers and the difference between them. Even with airlines many flight attendants don't actually realize how much someone has to spend on an aircraft to hit the top tier.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I once had an FDer very briefly show me his screen, and I noticed that it had a cumulative revenue field. Not clear whether or not that was property-specific, or system-wide. That sort of thing could factor in, no?

(Before anyone asks the obvious, the dollar figure reflected could easily have been either, as I was just making my switch from MR to SPG, and all of my recent stays up to that point had been at that specific property; nearly all previous stays predated SPG's ability to even track points, so presumably revenue also.)
When I stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Penang, Malaysia, the front desk manager handled my check-in. He commented on my year-to-date hotel stays, which on his system combined both Marriott and SPG numbers. He commented that everyone has had to learn the Marriott system a week or two earlier when the systems changed.

Supposedly, the Marriott system tells a front desk where my last stay was and where my next stay is. I've never had anyone comment, but I've read reports of a hotel front desk making a comment to a guest about a past or upcoming stay.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’ve been pre-upgraded to a suite well over 2 weeks in advance for most of my most recent stays at the StR San Francisco, the Westin San Jose, the W Los Angeles, and again even for my upcoming stay at the StR Houston in 10 days.

I do believe that being Plat100 and/or high revenue does prioritize one above LT Plats—as well it should. There’s a reason why LT Plats don’t get SNAs or other elevated benefits.
Revenue isn't a good indicator for hotels because even St. Regis properties are relatively cheap in Asia and elsewhere. Is a customer who spends 100 nights at a St. Regis in Malaysia or China, where the rates are cheap, less valuable than a customer who spends 100 nights at an expensive Sheraton somewhere in the U.S.? I would hope not.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:45 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Revenue isn't a good indicator for hotels because even St. Regis properties are relatively cheap in Asia and elsewhere. Is a customer who spends 100 nights at a St. Regis in Malaysia or China, where the rates are cheap, less valuable than a customer who spends 100 nights at an expensive Sheraton somewhere in the U.S.? I would hope not.
i meant total revenue. Your parsing needlessly. It’s not likely to be a zero sum game. I’m sure there are exceptions and rule variations all over the place. But someone who spends a ton with SPG is likelier to get an upgrade, most likely though that’s not guaranteed. And what a ton means depends on where you are and what hotel we may be talking about.

Of course, a high revenue customer also is more likely to be paying for a higher end hotel room than a lower revenue customer, too. The variations will never cease.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Not that big of 'if' as I routinely travel with my two colleagues. All three of us have SPG platinum status through Marriott. One of us is platinum premier with Marriott, another is both lifetime platinum and platinum premier, and I'm platinum. We routinely fly on the same flight and use the mobile application to check-in with our anticipated time.
My guess is that the plain vanilla Plat is most likely to get the upgrade. Many Marriott front desk staff seem to believe that Platinum Premier is lower than Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.