Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone use Cash & Points anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Does anyone use Cash & Points anymore?

I haven't used this option since they changed the number of points and cash needed several years ago. Prior to that I used it for over half my stays as it then counted towards status. Brief honeymoon as I haven't used it since they changed the levels of cash and points.

When do you use it now? Rationale?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The "cost" equation between the two is about even now - C&P used to be a great deal. So with a large points balance, I prefer to use a depreciating commodity (points) and invest the cash. I also haven't had a C&P reservation since the change.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:00 am

Hi -

I have used them on some Cat 2 US properties for midweek stays. Rates were running all in around $150/night and I got 2K points + $40.

But I agree, C+P is not as compelling as it used to be.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Agreed - I rarely use them any more, they killed all the value.

I have (and earn) enough points that I'll still use them on cat 6/7-type properties where I might only get 1.5 CPP...would just rather use points than spend ~$1K for a 3 day stay.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I can get 3-4cpp out of them, so I still use them every now and then. In fact, I just checked out of a C&P stay at an LC
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
If I find a hotel too expensive, I create my own C&P when necessary on multi-night stays. I do revenue nights (95% of the time with BRG) and combine it with some reward nights. The revenue nights also have the added benefit of counting towards promos whereas reward nights and C&P nights don't.

Here's a recent example. Category 4 hotel is 10K pts/night or 5K pts + $75. I BRGed my stay for 133 Euros + tax or 153 Euros (tax included). This rate also included half board (breakfast and dinner). So if I did 2 revenue nights + 2 reward nights, it would have cost me $356 (tax incl) + 20K points or an average of $89 + 5000 pts/night. But don't forget, my rate included half board for 2 of the nights! If I had done SPG C&P, I would have only received my Plat breakfast.

As it turns out, I did 4 revenue nights and 2 rewards nights as I thought the BRG rate was too good to pass up. Couldn't get as good a deal on my final 2 nights (was going to cost me over 200 Euros per night) so I opted for reward nights.

To answer your question, I NEVER use SPG's C&P rates!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
........ The revenue nights also have the added benefit of counting towards promos whereas reward nights and C&P nights don't.

Not for the current promo:

from T&C's posted on current promo thread -

"If part of my stay was reserved using a Free Night Award or SPG Cash & Points, will my stay qualify?

No. Stays booked with Free Night Awards or Cash & Points do not count as qualifying stays for this promotion. Even if part of the stay is reserved using an Award and part is paid, the SPG Member will not receive bonus Starpoints for any part of the stay."
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by clublounger

"If part of my stay was reserved using a Free Night Award or SPG Cash & Points, will my stay qualify?

No. Stays booked with Free Night Awards or Cash & Points do not count as qualifying stays for this promotion. Even if part of the stay is reserved using an Award and part is paid, the SPG Member will not receive bonus Starpoints for any part of the stay."
ouch... also you don't get double stays/nights on award stays or c&p.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clublounger

Have you ever been able to get reward nights followed with revenue nights (or vice versa) to post as one stay? Me neither.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
C&P isn't all that easy to find these days it seems to me.

That's a bigger concern than the value proposition, although that has admittedly gone down a bit now that points can be bought at 2.28 cents.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Well I certainly at times get good value.Latest at 4 Points Orlando.Staying there as driving through.C&P 2000 points + $40.SPG rate $240.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Recently at W Union Square, 10K points plus $180 versus something like $500+ for the room.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Not anymore. At most of the places I've been staying with Starwood, the Cash component of C+P is only about $20-30 less than a purely cash rate.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Have you ever been able to get reward nights followed with revenue nights (or vice versa) to post as one stay? Me neither.
Intresting because with Marriott award stays count as stays and nights towards award levels.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Intresting because with Marriott award stays count as stays and nights towards award levels.
They do with SPG too. They just don't count towards promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.