Toughest Hotel to get a Platinum Upgrade?

Old Nov 14, 17, 12:51 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Itís funny- I am seeing a lot of places where I have had poor luck with Suite upgrades - the Westins in Vegas and Pasadena, the W Union Square, the Sheraton in La Jolla.
The W Union Square always put us in a nice room, but rarely a suite. (It still is one of our favorite hotels)

I think I had 1 Suite upgrade in 6 or 7 stays at the Park Tower in Knightsbridge- but just had an awesome upgrade on SNAs on our recent stay (review coming)

Itís a little off topic but I have to share our funniest Platinum upgrade ever- last December when we were completing our Promo Brand challenge.

We were checking in at the Element in Vegas and the FD agent asked if we would like the Presidential Suite. I was really surprised because I didnít think Elements even had such a room type (it was our first Element Stay). We happily accepted and then were totally confused when we opened the door to a tiny basic room. It turned out that the reason it was ďthe Presidential SuiteĒ is that Obama had stayed there once. 😛
SanDiego1K and LuisHK like this.
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, DL Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
For Monday through Thursday consulting stays, I've heard that the Westin Edina Galleria (suburban Minneapolis) is bad because they have a bunch of Ambassadors who stay every week for work. There's one suite (senior one bedroom, 1.5 baths with a dining table and about 1100 sq ft of space) on every floor, with a very special one on the top floor that's not nearly as much fun as the other club suite one floor down.
Aah, I've had that very room a couple of times circa 2012
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Xu Guan View Post
The following have always been a tough upgrade:

- Sheraton Grande Seattle (10 stays, never upgraded to anything beyond a Deluxe Room)
- SLS Las Vegas (They don't even like to upgrade your room and suites are always "sold out", even on the slow days
- Westin Las Vegas
- Anything Original Marriott Brand that We Can Now Stay At
- W Hong Kong
- Anything Aloft (Room upgrades are not part of the SPG program for Aloft or Element Hotels)
- Sheraton Austin at the Capital
I've had great upgrades every time at W HK and SLS Vegas. Suites at both, on multiple stays at both.
Old Nov 14, 17, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xu Guan View Post
The following have always been a tough upgrade:

- Sheraton Grande Seattle (10 stays, never upgraded to anything beyond a Deluxe Room)
- SLS Las Vegas (They don't even like to upgrade your room and suites are always "sold out", even on the slow days
- Westin Las Vegas
- Anything Original Marriott Brand that We Can Now Stay At
- W Hong Kong
- Anything Aloft (Room upgrades are not part of the SPG program for Aloft or Element Hotels)
- Sheraton Austin at the Capital
I've done well at W Hong Kong, with a real suite all but my first stay (when I was upgraded to a nice room on a high floor with a view--it may have been the cool corner room type) and suites one above their standard category at least twice. I've also enjoyed the different color schemes.
Old Nov 14, 17, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
I've had great upgrades every time at W HK and SLS Vegas. Suites at both, on multiple stays at both.
I used to get upgrades at the SLS before they split the W Hotel off. Since that time, I have had 3 stays where they only said they had the basic room, even after inquiring. I have since moved onto the Cosmo since the merger and have a better overall experience.
Old Nov 22, 17, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've done well at W Hong Kong, with a real suite all but my first stay (when I was upgraded to a nice room on a high floor with a view--it may have been the cool corner room type) and suites one above their standard category at least twice. I've also enjoyed the different color schemes.
I have gotten upgraded at SLS in the past. Nothing much, they dont have much. W Hong Kong is a super tough nut to crack. Used SNAs and got a minor upgrade. Really nothing crazy at all. It had a sofa and a walled bedroom.
London can be a tough city without SNAs.

Rob
Old Nov 22, 17, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
Westin Las Vegas - not that they have any super upgrades here but I have stayed here probably 20 times and have never been upgraded and have always had my SNA's denied.....each and every time.
Never waste them on that hotel. The better rooms are nothing special and I doubt they would give you the WOW suite at the W.

Rob

Last edited by robertw477; Nov 22, 17 at 9:42 pm
Old Nov 22, 17, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Does "every property" count? I've been Platinum for 12 years and over that time have had a handful of suite upgrades, and maybe, at most, 50% one category upgrades. The rest of the time I either get the "sorry we are full" or "better room in category", which is not an upgrade at all. I do appreciate Platinum status for the breakfast and free premium wifi benefits, but the upgrade benefit for me has been pretty worthless overall. I fight for it on occasion (when rooms are showing available for sale), but even then my success rate isn't better than 50%.
Old Nov 22, 17, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, CX Marco Polo Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by MikeBOS View Post
Does "every property" count? I've been Platinum for 12 years and over that time have had a handful of suite upgrades, and maybe, at most, 50% one category upgrades. The rest of the time I either get the "sorry we are full" or "better room in category", which is not an upgrade at all. I do appreciate Platinum status for the breakfast and free premium wifi benefits, but the upgrade benefit for me has been pretty worthless overall. I fight for it on occasion (when rooms are showing available for sale), but even then my success rate isn't better than 50%.
Move to Asia. I'm at around 90% suite upgrades as a Platinum for the last four years (exceptions are W Bangkok and I'm not expecting anything at the Aloft Taipei in two weeks time). Clearly very different approaches to loyalty in different parts of the world.
Old Nov 22, 17, 6:58 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
Move to Asia. I'm at around 90% suite upgrades as a Platinum for the last four years (exceptions are W Bangkok and I'm not expecting anything at the Aloft Taipei in two weeks time). Clearly very different approaches to loyalty in different parts of the world.
It isn’t that Asian SPG hotels necessarily treat Plats better than in N America; it’s that there are so many more Plats relative to other paying guests in N America than in Asia. Then add in that Asian properties can be bigger and often are much newer, and therefore often have more suites proportionally, and it exacerbates the effect.
Old Nov 22, 17, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
I agree with you. I got some amazing upgrades in China (other than the W Hong Kong)
Rob
Old Nov 23, 17, 4:26 am

Westin Dresden in Germany. The only place that I have not been upgraded in the last 4 years!
Old Nov 23, 17, 8:19 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
It isnít that Asian SPG hotels necessarily treat Plats better than in N America; itís that there are so many more Plats relative to other paying guests in N America than in Asia. Then add in that Asian properties can be bigger and often are much newer, and therefore often have more suites proportionally, and it exacerbates the effect.
It's not just that. Asian culture is often more genuinely service oriented than American; and it shows in how guests are treated at hotel. Sure, what you said applies too; but it certainly isn't the only factor. For a quick example, see how the benefits are often much more generous in foreign properties (e.g. a full breakfast buffet with several stations, or a full a-la carte menu including complimentary champagneÖ versus a $14~20 restaurant credit in many US properties. It's very much about service.
Old Nov 23, 17, 8:24 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
It's not just that. Asian culture is often more genuinely service oriented than American; and it shows in how guests are treated at hotel. Sure, what you said applies too; but it certainly isn't the only factor. For a quick example, see how the benefits are often much more generous in foreign properties (e.g. a full breakfast buffet with several stations, or a full a-la carte menu including complimentary champagneÖ versus a $14~20 restaurant credit in many US properties. It's very much about service.
I absolutely agree that service culture is so much better and more personal than it is elsewhere. That being said, I donít always find that to be true when it comes to upgrades at luxury hotels in Asiaóregardless of the hotel brand. I didnít find that Starwood hotels in Asia upgraded more than elsewhere, actually...but then I also donít find that to be much different from Hyatt, Four Seasons, Peninsula, Aman, etc. I canít speak for most non-luxury hotel brands, since we most often are at luxury brands of some sort.
Old Nov 24, 17, 10:18 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Just my suspicion...

Any hotel owned by property developers who may also at the same time own hotels of competing chains in the same city. All they care about is the ability to have a brand name attached to their hotel and not necessarily follow through with that brand's frequent guest programs.

Search this Thread