Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best Westin in the world -- what are your favorites?

Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: helvetic
Other threads:
- W: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873459-best-w-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Le Mridien: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874601-favorite-le-meridien-property-worldwide.html
- St. Regis: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873977-favorite-st-regis-worldwide.html
- Luxury Collection: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874737-best-luxury-collection-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Tribute Portfolio: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874739-best-tribute-portfolio-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Four Points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874857-best-four-points-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Westin: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874858-best-westin-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Sheraton: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874860-best-sheraton-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Design Hotels: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874863-best-design-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Aloft: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1874918-best-aloft-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Renaissance: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963254-best-renaissance-world-what-your-favorites.html
Print Wikipost

Best Westin in the world -- what are your favorites?

Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by LuisHK
Only 1 good Westin came to mind so far: Westin Taipei.

Decently priced, the staff are warm and helpful.
agreed.
Westin Chosun as well, for the next month or so.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by silvergirl
I was very positively surprised by the Westin Singapore recently, very unexpected for a hotel in Singapore.

Good to hear I will be there in Feb.

The nicest one I have been in was Beaver Creek. Gorgeous View of the mountains and very nice spa. The one in Princeville was nicer than most as well as the newer one in Cancun. The older Westin in CUN is not very nice.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I agree on Beaver Creek as great (haven't been to enough to comment. A cut or two above room wise, plus the views. I like the Westin Shanghai, but I have had a nice room upgrade both times. Club lounge is excellent as is the breakfast spread at the first floor restaurant.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
(Yet) Another vote for Westin Beaver Creek; I've been several times and can't wait to return. A close second is the Westin Verasa Napa.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Rossello321
FWIW, not a huge fan of the Westin brand, so take this with a grain of salt, but my favorite Westin thus far - by a mile - is the Westin Palace Madrid.

To me, the hotel feels much more like a St. Regis than a Westin. The building alone is killer, as is the breakfast, service, and overall vibe.

The bar is a must-visit, even if youre not a guest at the hotel. Many famous authors, poets, and painters have spent quite a bit of time here getting a tad drunk

I dont think theres a lounge here, but Im not really a lounge-goer.

Redemption options are very reasonable last time I checked...I think around 20k points per night?

So yeah - not sure if its the history, the bar, or the hard product itself - but this has been my favorite Westin to date (been staying at Westins across the globe for the past 4 years, FYI).
Obviously a personal preference/opinion, but couldn't disagree more. I spent over 100 nights at the palace Madrid over a year and a half long. As such I got to experience various rooms, servers, etc. The hard product is 'meh' at best, definitely not StR status. The palace feels worn and looks dated in many places (not good/intentional dated either). Breakfast is a good spread, but service was all over the place. Only a few times did we get great services - mostly mediocre to down right atrocious.

Besides the history of the bar - nothing special. Drinks are outrageous and service was always bad. Nearly had to tackle servers to get refills.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Westin Palace Madrid and Westin Vendome Paris are the two that immediately come to mind where we've stayed. Westin Cape Town is excellent too.

The Westin Excelsior Florence, Westin Excelsior Rome, and Westin Europe and Regina Venice are also legendary for the brand.

Westin Playa Conchal is also supposed to be wonderful.
DCFlyer0306 and travelista like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Hands down the Westin Excelsior Florence for me! Westin Excelsior Rome would be my second choice.
travelista likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Among my favorites is the Westin Nashville - the rooms have nice high ceilings with great views and the lounge is really nice.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with both the Westin Excelsior Florence and Westin Beaver Creek- had great family experiences at both. Further, my stays mostly revolve around sporting events. So my favorites are the Westin in St. Louis for Cardinals baseball games and Westin Memphis (Beale Street) for Grizzlies basketball. No blackout dates are a big plus. I would also include the new Westin in Nashville for Titans football, but I dont need a room in my hometown.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Plumber
Westin Chosun Hotel in Seoul...

And maybe the Westin Ottawa (but I may be biased ) . Get a room overlooking Parliament Hill and the Chateau Laurier and its hard to beat- but they need a Lounge and better Platinum recognition.
Unfortunately the Westin Chosun and its sister hotel in Busan are leaving Starwood at the end of the year.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Westin Grand Cayman - fantastic location on 7 mile beach, good restaurants, great platinum breakfast (even after they imposed an upcharge for buffet) and super friendly staff.

Haven't been post renovations, but always had a great stay when I went before
MNHunter likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Westin Grand Cayman - fantastic location on 7 mile beach, good restaurants, great platinum breakfast (even after they imposed an upcharge for buffet) and super friendly staff.

Haven't been post renovations, but always had a great stay when I went before
Appreciate the information, I am going there for the first time in March 2018.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by pageboy
Appreciate the information, I am going there for the first time in March 2018.
Enjoy! Location is by far my favorite part - the beach is unrivaled and one of the best in the SPG system (in my opinion). You can also walk from there to many restaurants and spots and you are a short cab ride from almost anything.

Grand Cayman is expensive, especially compared to other Islands, but there's a liquor store, frozen yogurt and other stuff across the street - can save some money on booze there
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:57 am

I find that Westin is one of the most consistent SPG brands from property-to-property.

That said, I'd echo the positive comments on Dublin, Beijing-Chaoyang, Ottawa, and Chosun, as well as the negative comment on Boston-Seaport (its just really a bit of a missed opportunity).

The black-tiled pool at Beijing-Chaoyang is amazing.

I also like Boston Copley Place for the location, rooms and the staff (especially in the lounge), although it can be very very busy in the lobby.

Montreal is also great - new construction and a great adaptive reuse, great breakfast, cool pool and good location.

Finally, its been a few years, but I remember a very good stay in Melbourne. Hotel has a great location, not a lot of suites, but comfortable rooms and outstanding, welcoming staff. Miles ahead of the Westin Sydney.

Last edited by makin'miles; Nov 4, 2017 at 3:03 am
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by christianj
Hands down the Westin Excelsior Florence for me! Westin Excelsior Rome would be my second choice.
I agree that the Westin Excelsior Rome is one of the best in Europe, but I would put it at second place.
My overall favorite is the Westin Palace Madrid, while the Westin Paris - Vendome comes at third place.

I still have to try the Westin Excelsior in Florence and the Regina in Venice... Can't wait!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.