Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Collection hotel in the world -- what are your favorites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: helvetic
Other threads:
- W: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873459-best-w-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Le Méridien: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874601-favorite-le-meridien-property-worldwide.html
- St. Regis: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873977-favorite-st-regis-worldwide.html
- Luxury Collection: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874737-best-luxury-collection-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Tribute Portfolio: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874739-best-tribute-portfolio-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Four Points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874857-best-four-points-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Westin: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874858-best-westin-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Sheraton: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874860-best-sheraton-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Design Hotels: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874863-best-design-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Aloft: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1874918-best-aloft-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Renaissance: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963254-best-renaissance-world-what-your-favorites.html
Print Wikipost

Best Luxury Collection hotel in the world -- what are your favorites?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I stayed at the Grand Bretagne before it became a Starwood/LC and I wasn't impressed, although the location and style of my room were fun. I still remember them forgetting my wake up call, which put me at risk of missing my TATL flight, yet nevertheless as I wear getting into the taxi, some staff member came running after me to sign the bill. [I had arranged for express checkout upon arrival, had no additional charges, and had given them the same credit card as the one on the reservation.] No apologies.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As a Platinum nowadays you wouldn't even speak to the front desk as all your needs would be handled by the Concierge team.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I stayed at the Grand Bretagne before it became a Starwood/LC and I wasn't impressed, although the location and style of my room were fun. I still remember them forgetting my wake up call, which put me at risk of missing my TATL flight, yet nevertheless as I wear getting into the taxi, some staff member came running after me to sign the bill. [I had arranged for express checkout upon arrival, had no additional charges, and had given them the same credit card as the one on the reservation.] No apologies.
Well I have only stayed once, but know several Greeks who swear by this place, and they can be critical when needed. It was one of my top 5 stays worldwide for the breakfast and view almost single handedly.

Sorry for your experience, but it would seem to be an outlier.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
BTW I forgot the Grosvenor House Dubai. This lounge is one of the top in the entire SPG system. Love this property as it is my favorite in Dubai.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Three absolute standouts for me:

1) Sheraton Grande Sukhumvhit. We visited in the summer of 2015 and my children and spouse talk about it with excitement to this day.
2) Tambo Del Inka: an amazing and unique venue, with large, comfortable rooms and stellar service.
3) Palacio Del Inka: perhaps the most interesting building I've ever stayed in, anywhere. Superb service and location, too.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Not fair or relevant to criticize Grand Bretagne from your experience before the property even became part of Starwood, esp for service failures (location ok as that doesn't change) as the mgt and team probably quite different. I am not sure the point
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
PDG in Paris wonderful aside from pathetically poor breakfast
SGS is incredible service though hardware so so.
Athenee is great
Royal Begonia Sanya is stunning. Absolutely stunning
Checking out Vana Belle in a few weeks so hoping that will be good.

In general LC is our favorite Starwood chain. Unfortunately there are some standardization issues (Sheraton Imperial before it was dropped out of LC and HOngta Shanghai). BUt the good ones really are good.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've stayed at and/or dined and checked out tons of Luxury Collection properties over the years.

Absolute best, among our best 13 hotel stays of all time:

Gritti Palace, Venice--would stay here over Aman Venice
Hotel Imperial, Vienna--would come back to Vienna just to stay here again

Absolutely superb, wouldn't think twice staying again:

Prince de Galles, Paris--amazing hard product
Hotel Alfonso XIII
SLS Beverly Hillls--amazing soft product
Augustine, Prague
Excelsior Gallia, Milan--amazing hard product especially
Tambo del Inka, Sacred Valley Peru
Las Alcobas, Mexico City
The Chatwal, New York--my all-time fave in NYC

Very good:

SLS Beverly Hills--curious room decor/hard product, about to be renovated so optimistic
The Nines, Portland--some great rooms, some tiny rooms, very good service, very good dining, excellent location.
US Grant, San Diego--traditional, varying size rooms and decor, excellent service, food, location
Hotel Danielli--I know some will disagree, but felt too big and mass market to us, but beautiful property, nice rooms/suites, some refurb needed, good dining and location

Good:

Hotel Bristol, Vienna--needs a rooms/suites refurbishment/renovation ASAP
ITC Mughal, Agra--big and corporate, dated rooms, nice service, good food, decent location
ITC Maurya, New Delhi--big and corporate, good dining, central location
Royal Hawaiian, Honolulu--lacks luxury feel, big, feels crowded, good dining and location
The Liberty, Boston--amazing rooms, amazing food/beverage, amazing scene, good location, but too many service issues for me
Palace Hotel, San Francisco--renovation nice, good service, rooms ok, nice location, rates sometimes too high
The Ballantyne, Charlotte--feels luxury but a bit traditional/dated, good service and dining but all about golf location

Never again

Park Tower Knightsbridge, London--dated rooms, feels like Sheraton, need rooms/suites refurbishment stat, some service issues

Bucket list:

Las Alcobas, Napa--maybe going Feb 2018 to help economy post-fires
Prince Gallery Kioicho Tokyo--going May 2018
Suiran, Kyoto--going May 2018
Mystique, Santorini--going Oct 2018
Grand Bretagne, Athens--going Oct 2018
Schloss Fuschl, Salzburg
Hotel Marques de Riscal, Spain
Caresse, Turkey
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The SLS appeared twice in your list! You'll notice that it didn't appear in mine
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:18 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The SLS appeared twice in your list! You'll notice that it didn't appear in mine
Good catch. The soft product was so good that I had to rate it higher than the currently odd room layout/hard product. Of course, the rooms are being renovated soon...
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I had a pretty mixed experience at the SLS in LA:

- At checkin, my room / suite wasn't ready until 8pm. They had _nothing_ to put me into at all. They kept apologizing (the previous guest didn't leave on time apparently) and giving me more comps at the bar to make up for it. They tried to get me into the presidential suite but apparently they found out they couldn't assign it to anyone because the previous guests had absolutely trashed it and housekeeping only wasn't gonna cut it,
- The pool was pretty mellow—this was a fun weekend stay and I would've liked a bit more of a party scene.
- Got a pretty decent sized suite but zero views.
- Breakfast was mediocre.
- Staff was very nice, though.
- Loved the decor.

So I liked it, but despite the staff's best intentions it wasn't the most pleasant experience. The $200 in F&B comps helped make up for it.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The rooms at the Hotel Bristol were renovated just a couple years ago. I don't know whether they did anything to the public areas as the room renovations were ongoing when I stayed.

I'd love to go back to the Imperial and see all the renovations, but I think the Bristol has a better location.

Alfonso whatever number is wonderful, a great historic building in a great location.

I was disappointed by Schloss Fuscl as it seemed to be mobbed by tour bus groups that the hotel was incapable of handling efficiently. This was during the music festival, so it might have been an outlier, but never again for me. It's the sort of hotel where I don't see the point of going twice.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The rooms at the Hotel Bristol were renovated just a couple years ago. I don't know whether they did anything to the public areas as the room renovations were ongoing when I stayed.
EDIT--Expert Reviews are back up and running. Here is my Expert Review comparing the Imperial vs Bristol:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...in-vienna-2207

The photos of the many rooms and suites at the Bristol clearly show very kitschy and outrageously dated room decor and furnishings, horribly tired and dated baths, and some very strange layouts. Those clearly were not renovated or refurbished--and if they were, somebody's head should roll, because they looked like something from the late 90s. Maybe they did update some rooms, but they clearly need to update them all. Badly.

I'd love to go back to the Imperial and see all the renovations, but I think the Bristol has a better location.
I'm confused? There's literally a 3 min walk of about 300 meters between the Imperial and Bristol. Hard to say there's much difference in location--unless looking down onto the roof of the Opera House is important to you.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by helvetic
I had a pretty mixed experience at the SLS in LA:

- At checkin, my room / suite wasn't ready until 8pm. They had _nothing_ to put me into at all. They kept apologizing (the previous guest didn't leave on time apparently) and giving me more comps at the bar to make up for it. They tried to get me into the presidential suite but apparently they found out they couldn't assign it to anyone because the previous guests had absolutely trashed it and housekeeping only wasn't gonna cut it,
- The pool was pretty mellow—this was a fun weekend stay and I would've liked a bit more of a party scene.
- Got a pretty decent sized suite but zero views.
- Breakfast was mediocre.
- Staff was very nice, though.
- Loved the decor.

So I liked it, but despite the staff's best intentions it wasn't the most pleasant experience. The $200 in F&B comps helped make up for it.
I appreciate that you had a poor experience...but even you must admit that it was highly circumstantial.

Obviously they were sold out or they could've given you a room. They even tried to give you their Presidential Suite, echoing how wonderful their service recovery can be and was for us during our stay. They clearly tried to make up for it, despite a guest not leaving on time and someone trashing the Presidential not being in their control. Bad circumstances again. Not the breakfast, though.

We'd be happy to return. Sorry you didn't have a nice experience.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I appreciate that you had a poor experience...but even you must admit that it was highly circumstantial.

Obviously they were sold out or they could've given you a room. They even tried to give you their Presidential Suite, echoing how wonderful their service recovery can be and was for us during our stay. They clearly tried to make up for it, despite a guest not leaving on time and someone trashing the Presidential not being in their control. Bad circumstances again. Not the breakfast, though.

We'd be happy to return. Sorry you didn't have a nice experience.
Yeah, totally. I don't fault them for the situation at all… like I said, I thought the service was great and their attempts at recovery were genuine.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.