Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: helvetic
Other threads:
- W: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873459-best-w-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Le Méridien: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874601-favorite-le-meridien-property-worldwide.html
- St. Regis: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873977-favorite-st-regis-worldwide.html
- Luxury Collection: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874737-best-luxury-collection-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Tribute Portfolio: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874739-best-tribute-portfolio-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Four Points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874857-best-four-points-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Westin: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874858-best-westin-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Sheraton: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874860-best-sheraton-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Design Hotels: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874863-best-design-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Aloft: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1874918-best-aloft-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Renaissance: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963254-best-renaissance-world-what-your-favorites.html
Print Wikipost

Favorite St. Regis worldwide?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Favorite St. Regis worldwide?

I have only stayed at 4 and really enjoyed the old St. Regis Monarch Beach honestly. I did have a Russian model with me, so that might have had something to do with it.
EuropeanPete and jaejaez like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm still not sure of the St Regis brand, so relative to other Starwood brands I've only ever stayed at a relatively small number (~10).

By far, the best St Regis I've been to is the St Regis Florence which ranks amongst the best hotels and best service that I've ever seen. The only thing which takes slightly away from it is the nearby Four Seasons which is even more spectacular, but it's only a quick ride away in the house Bentley.

I can't even think of a suitable runner-up (it would probably be the St Regis Mexico City and that's mainly about exceeding lowish expectations).

I was going to try to resist commenting that I don't think it would have been any less good even if I wasn't also accompanied by an Eastern European model who I was seeing at the time. But I failed.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Paging @bhrubin - can’t wait to hear your input! If I recall, the St. Regis San Francisco is a personal favorite...

It may lack a bit in personality but Doha treated me fabulously. Double upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Terrace Room to a Caroline Astor Suite all before I checked in, eggs Benedict at the buffet for breakfast, gorgeous facilities and lovely staff made my experience particularly special. Istanbul was also STUNNING all around but that deserves its own detailed review to do it justice. Looking forward to trying the New York original and some of the stars like Rome, Florence and SF...

khabah
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:00 pm

St. Regis Maldives is the best resort I've stayed at anywhere, the food, location and staff couldn't be topped. The rooms are insanely nice. I'd rank the St. Regis Bal Harbour as the best domestic hotel I've stayed in. Great beach, amazing large rooms, nice bar, great breakfast, and top of the line staff.

Princeville has the only location that could rival Maldives, but the rooms need updating and the pool/beach/food and bev are underwhelming. Bahia Beach was a little overrun with kids and the beach wasn't very nice, service also hit or miss. Punta Mita was nice, but needs updating, food and service were pretty good. DC was fairly unremarkable, Atlanta a much nicer urban US StR.

Trying Mexico City and NYC within the next two months, pretty excited.

Last edited by VCURamFan; Oct 25, 2017 at 12:03 pm Reason: Forgot other St Regis stays
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
My experiences (very few locations)

Great:
St. Regis Florence
St. Regis Bali
St. Regis Bal Harbour
St. Regis Osaka

Good:
St. Regis Princeville
St. Regis Moscow
St. Regis Bangkok
St. Regis Washington D.C.

So So:
St. Regis Rome
St. Regis Singapore

Upcoming Stay:
St. Regis Istanbul - Jan 2018

My bucket list:
St. Regis Bora Bora
St. Regis Maldives
travelista and Antonio8069 like this.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Oct 28, 2017 at 1:34 pm Reason: Upcoming stay added.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I have only stayed a few domestic properties, but my favorite is the St. Regis Bal Harbour. Everything is modern and top of the line, and service has always been wonderful. The suites there are among my favorite hotel rooms anywhere. Our stay at the St. Regis New York was also exceptional, with top-notch service and a simply beautiful, historic hotel.

I also enjoyed the St. Regis Monarch Beach many years ago, but I think the Bal Harbour property is better overall. Bucket list is also to get to Bora Bora and the Maldives!

Last edited by svo242; Nov 2, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
It doesn't always get a lot of love, but we've had some nice stays at the St. Beijing. It's been a few years so I'm not sure if they still do this, but they would upgrade Plats to a Statesman Suite within a couple of days of making the reservation. They also had cooked to order lambchops at breakfast, which allowed for some creative eggs benedict concoctions. My only complaint was location as the immediate area didn't have a lot of dining options.

Tops in my book right now is Chengdu. Well located, luxurious, fantastic concierge, and ridiculous Platinum benefits (essentially breakfast and dinner with cocktails). It's also a great value.

Was not a fan of Monarch Beach, but I guess that's why we have Flyertalk...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, *Gold, Bonvoy Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), National Emerald Club Executive
Here are the St Regis’s I’ve stayed at, in order of fabulousness. Had great success using SNAs, often getting suites well above the standard upgrade pool.

Istanbul (St Regis suite)
Florence (1br suite)
New York City (5th Ave suite)
Aspen
Beijing (statesman suite)
Monarch Beach (regular room)
Adelaide, Toronto (1br suite)

I expect the Maldives Vommuli (overwater villa) to jump to the top of that list after my stay there in a few weeks!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:28 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by khabah
Paging @bhrubin - can’t wait to hear your input! If I recall, the St. Regis San Francisco is a personal favorite...
And I'm back. Thanks for the shout out.

For perspective, I include the StR San Francisco, Gritti Palace Venice, and Hotel Imperial Vienna among our favorite 13 hotel stays of all time.

(That list also includes Amanjiwo Java, Amankila Bali, Amangiri Utah, Cayo Espanto Belize, Cavas Wine Lodge Argentina, La Residence Franschhoek, Singita Boulders South Africa, Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, and The Upper House Hong Kong).

I'd put StR Bora Bora as maybe 14th...

For me:

The great:

StR San Francisco (I go multiple times every year, some SNA, some not, but always upgraded to Astor or more often Metropolitan Suite, next stay in a few weeks)
StR Bora Bora (upgraded to Royal Overwater Villa)
StR Punta Mita (upgraded to Deluxe Suite, returning Jan 2018 for 1Bdr villa w pool)
StR Bahia Beach (upgraded to StR Suite)
StR Mexico City (upgraded to Executive Suite)

The very good:

StR Princeville (double upgraded to St Regis Suite, amazing soft product and incredible location/view, hard product could use refresh)
StR Bal Harbour (SNA upgraded to oceanfront junior suite)
StR Rome (junior suite, incredible hard product since reno, rooms/suite very dated but soon to be updated in reno)
StR Lhasa hard product (upgraded to incredible Everest Suite, soft product needed work)

The solid:

StR Houston (upgraded to junior suite, odd layout, great soft product, back in a few weeks)
StR Monarch Beach (staycation upgrades to St Regis Suites for 1-2 night stays, left SPG, local hotel to me)

The not so good:

StR Dubai service (no upgrade but wonderful room, hard product great, soft product had major issues)
StR Washington, DC (SNA upgraded to Astor suite, very dated hard product, soft product needs a lot of work)
StR Lhasa service (hard product great, soft product had major issues)

Bucket list:

StR Maldives
StR Istanbul (opened a few weeks after we were at nearby PH)
StR New York (going in March 2018)
StR Bali (hard to not stay at Amans though!)
StR Cairo
StR Bangkok
StR Moscow
StR Amman (opening 2018)
StR Kanai Mexico (opening 2018)

Soon to visit:

StR New York (going in March 2018, SNAs applied)
StR Atlanta (going in March 2018)
StR Osaka (going in May 2018, used points to confirm suite)
StR Deer Valley (going in Sept 2018)

It's worth noting that I also believe there are a few Luxury Collection properties that can match those in the great StR category above, including:

Gritti Palace Venice (SNA upgrade to Dalmatia Suite)
Hotel Imperial Vienna (SNA upgrade to Imperial Suite)
Chatwal NYC (upgrade to Junior Suite with Terrace)
Prince de Galles Paris (SNA upgrade to Makassar Suite)
Augustine Prague (upgrade to Frescoe Suite)
Suiran Kyoto (upcoming stay May 2018 in upgraded Shirosumire Premier King Room)
Prince Gallery Kioicho Tokyo (upcoming stay May 2018, SNAs applied)
travelista likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 26, 2017 at 9:17 am
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It's quite interesting to see your record of suite upgrades. Were these all SNAs?

As a Plat (50/ 75/ 100) I wasn't upgraded to a suite in Mexico City, San Francisco, Bangkok (x3), New York or Rome (when I didn't use an SNA). I used SNA system upgrades in Rome and Florence to "Junior Suites" only (i.e. 1.5 rooms), but I was not upgraded to what I would call a proper suite.

In fact, the only St Regis discretionary suite upgrades I can think of were in Beijing and Moscow.

Looking at your Luxury Collection list I used SNAs at both Gritti Palace and the Hotel Imperial in Vienna and received suites several categories above what would have been system selected by the SNA. A much better result for me!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:10 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It's quite interesting to see your record of suite upgrades. Were these all SNAs?

Looking at your Luxury Collection list I used SNAs at both Gritti Palace and the Hotel Imperial in Vienna and received suites several categories above what would have been system selected by the SNA. A much better result for me!
Most were not SNAs. I'll go back and edit so you can see.

I've used SNAs for many but not all StR SF stays, but they've never not upgraded me to at least an Astor Suite. If I'm with my husband, they've never not upgraded me to a Metropolitan Suite--SNA or not. My next visit in a couple weeks, I actually asked them to give me a Grand Deluxe Room so I can see what a regular room is like.

For StR Rome, I used more points to get the junior suite since I knew suite inventory was limited by the renovation. I didn't want to risk it and be disappointed. I wasn't.

For StR Bora Bora, that was all my Ambassador. Total discretionary upgrade. SNAs don't work here.

For StR Punta Mita, my SNAs didn't go through and were returned...and then I arrived to be upgraded to a deluxe suite. My Ambassador had a hand there, I think. For our next visit, I used 39K points to get the deluxe suite and negotiated a cash rate for the villa upgrade.

For StR Bahia Beach, it was discretionary on arrival.

For most, it was discretionary on arrival, surprisingly.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:02 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Very extensive list indeed bhrubin ^

I will keep mine very simple because I have only stayed at four:-

St Regis New York City - this place has history, history and history and will be timeless for many many generations to come.

St Regis Bangkok - love, love, love the hard product.

St Regis Macao - love, love, love the hard product.

St Regis Singapore - well, I didn't 'feel' special staying there for some reason but love the modern luxury presentation.

Last edited by alanslegal; Oct 26, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Best (in order):
Florence (simply amazing all around, SNA to balcony suite)
Bahia (no room upgrade but we simply love the location and feel, although it could use a kids pool)
NYC (1x in standard room and 2x upgraded to 5th Ave Suite; the 5th Ave is probably the 2nd most amazing suite we've stayed in given NYC location and size)

Worst:
Rome (horrible service fails and tiny, tiny room. Our closet in NYC was the size of our room in Rome)
D.C. (nothing wrong with it, nothing right with it, just meh overall)

Others:
San Fran (one night, suite on a low floor, was just ok but I had to ask for the upgrade after being assigned std room even though plenty of availability)
Bal Harbor (we had multiple service failures inside, but also wonderful service outside)
ATL (local, we use bar/Atlas/event space, never rooms)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
St Regis Saadiyat Island for me. Excellent service, even during the F1 weekend (lots of driver and celeb spotting too!).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Paren
St Regis Saadiyat Island for me. Excellent service, even during the F1 weekend (lots of driver and celeb spotting too!).
Agreed, very nice property with a huge beach! Several pools outside including kids area separate from adult area. The Gary Player Saadiyat Island GC is very nice indeed. Breakfast is a pleasure and such a huge area for guests to enjoy.

Views are great from the balcony and with the beach being so deep allows for nice vistas. Of course the steak house 55th and 5th is fantastic as they had a great chef from South Carolina with great pedigree there 3 years ago when I went. First cabin all the way through and during the summer you can get GREAT rates here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.