Platinum 75

Old Oct 24, 17, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Platinum 75

I am within striking distance of Platinum 75 status. I have been well treated as a Platinum and made Platinum 50 today. Due to some logistics I have to make this within the next couple of weeks by staying an extra 3 nights somewhere. Specifically, I was offered "Double Elite Nights" promo which will end on November 15.

As a strategy I am thinking taking the extra 5 qualifying nights as my Platinum 50 gift which will bring me to 64 nights total YTD. Then I have 3 nights in NY which will get me to 70 nights. So 3 extra nights by November 15 will get me to 76 nights magic number.

However, I also have the option of switching all my stays to Marriott and take advantage of their every promo that every two stays gets me a free night and pick up 2-3 or more free nights.

Generally speaking I do shop around for best rate in town since the hotel is paid for personally rather than a corporate budget. Now I am wondering will the extra SPG point be worth it? My guess is if I make platinum again next year than it will pay back for itself.

However, the real question is are Platinum 75 member treated or recognized that differently than Platinum 50 group.

Any feedback is welcome.
Old Oct 24, 17, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by agurg View Post

However, I also have the option of switching all my stays to Marriott and take advantage of their every promo that every two stays gets me a free night and pick up 2-3 or more free nights.
First two stays for 1 free night only. Period.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez

However, the real question is are Platinum 75 member treated or recognized that differently than Platinum 50 group.

Any feedback is welcome.
I don't think so. In fact, there's been traffic in other threads suggesting that SPG is adamant with their properties that Plat is Plat, and is the highest possible level of recognition - period.

Having said that, I did recently have a front desk guy mention my ambassador status upon checkin (first time ever that I had my ambassador make a reservation on my behalf, so that may've had something to do with it). Did get a newly renovated room on the club-level floor that was mostly still under renovation, so perhaps I did get some "extra" plat recognition in that case.

At the end of the day, I think the calculus needs to derive from the additional points earning potential...

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Oct 24, 17 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some people get a lot of value from Your24 too.
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Some people get a lot of value from Your24 too.
Good point - I've yet to avail myself of that opportunity, so not really something I tend to think of.
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
I don't think so. In fact, there's been traffic in other threads suggesting that SPG is adamant with their properties that Plat is Plat, and is the highest possible level of recognition - period.
That may be; but I can tell you from my own experience that the hotels know if you are PLT 100. No idea about 75.
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
That may be; but I can tell you from my own experience that the hotels know if you are PLT 100. No idea about 75.
I can also tell you I can't remember the last time I was thanked for being an Ambassador guest...happens 1x a year?
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Specifically, I was offered "Double Elite Nights" promo which will end on November 15.

Double check you don't have double elite nights until December 15th... Mine is valid to Dec 15, but registration cut off was Nov 15..
Old Oct 24, 17, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Do you routinely have your emb place your reservations? Wondering if that makes any difference (my own personal sample size isn't sufficient to make any kind of judgement).
Old Oct 24, 17, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
Smile

As a strategy I am thinking taking the extra 5 qualifying nights as my Platinum 50 gift which will bring me to 64 nights total YTD. Then I have 3 nights in NY which will get me to 70 nights. So 3 extra nights by November 15 will get me to 76 nights magic number.
- I have been PLT/PLT50 for 8 years and PLT75 for the last 2 years and I did not see any difference in treatment. I have used PLT75 abroad a few times and found that very useful. However, even without PLT I remember successfully checking into an SPG hotel at 7:00 or 7:30 am and having a very late checkout at 8 pm at no cost (although on different stays).

The main benefit is extra SPG point/$ (50 nights x $200=$10,000=10 K SPG points). However, math is more complicated because of the current SPG promo that will give you another 10K points for 25 paid nights (+1K or 0.5K/stay).

Personally, it all depends what do you value more - SPG points or Marriott free nights. Perhaps, OP is unlocking "more free nights" because the original terms and conditions for Marriott promo are just for 1 free night:
"Maximum one (1) free night award earned with this promotion per member to be redeemed for a future stay at participating Marriott Rewards category 1-5 properties.
• Free night award will expire six (6) months after the date of issuance."
Currently, I do not have any plans for staying in Marriott 1-5 properties within next 6 months for leisure so the promo has very little value for me. Of course, YMMV
Old Oct 24, 17, 10:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I can also tell you I can't remember the last time I was thanked for being an Ambassador guest...happens 1x a year?
I've only had one stay where they commented on me being an Ambassador guest, and I can't pinpoint any special treatment versus being a normal Platinum.
Old Oct 24, 17, 11:04 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
This year (2017) is my first time ever having Platinum 75. Before I was always normal Plat 50.

There are only incremental differences. The extra Star-point when you stay at SPG hotels is welcomed. The YOUR 24 requires hotel approval. I used only a few times (less than 5). I did get approval for a one-night stay to check in at 10:00pm and check-out at 10:00pm in Seattle. Well. I checked out at 12:00noon so not much story.

If I use it on vacation - like a 5 night stay. I found I cannot say I check in Day 1 at 10:00pm and check out Day 5 at 10:00pm. It can only be used on Day 1 - which neutralizes the YOUR 24 abilities for multi-night stay. The hotel I tried this on was the Westin Tokyo. I was given a 4:00pm check out only. They did give extend it to 5:00pm on departure day due to my airport limo bus schedule.

I want to believe I have a slight leg-up against Plan 50 when I use Suite Night Awards. I believe (but not officially verified) who gets the upgrade have some factor to do with how you're paying (paid stay, cash & points, or points stay) and what status level. Plat 100 has an SPG ambassador calling the hotel for upgrades and Suite Night Award upgrades. Hotels probably yield to them.

I do notice this year, I was able to use almost all my 10 suite night awards (1 night left). In the multiple years past as Plat 50, I used it in similar hotels and the success rate was definitely lower and I normally have 3-5 Suite Night Award goes waste each year.
Old Oct 24, 17, 11:12 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Over the years I have cycled through 100, 75 and 50. I have not noticed any differences in terms of upgrades and treatment at any different level. The only thing I can think of is I seemed to get more snacks and wine and a handwritten note when I was Ambassador level welcoming me... usually from my ambassador.

I don't drink alcohol so it actually was disappointing to receive alcohol at almost every hotel when the whole point of an Ambassador was to know my personal preferences. I liked the cookies and candies but I would prefer to not get and be tempted. I'd rather have fruit. I am not sure too if the snacks were normal part of the hotel as I seem to get them a lot anyway.

I moved about 20-25 nights this year to Marriott to try them out, so I probably will not hit ambassador this year. I will be around 90 nights most likely. I am not upset.
Old Oct 24, 17, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
Do you routinely have your emb place your reservations? Wondering if that makes any difference (my own personal sample size isn't sufficient to make any kind of judgement).
Never. Don't use a travel agent, either. Make all my rezzies on spg.com. I use my ambassador rarely, only for when I want something special. In those cases, I have already made the rezzie before I call/email my ambassador, then I ask her for the assistance I need, like a great upgrade for a special occasion. Most recently, I was trying to book a non-smoking room but only smoking rooms were available. I booked the smoking room then asked my ambassador to see if she could get me a non-smoking room. She spoke to the hotel and took care of it.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I frequently (but not always) get it verbally from FDC on checkin when s/he is reading the screen and sees status. SGS gives each PLT 100 guest a personal note from the GM on checkin which specifically references ambassador status.
Old Oct 24, 17, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by s_yvr View Post
Double check you don't have double elite nights until December 15th... Mine is valid to Dec 15, but registration cut off was Nov 15..
+1

T&Cs:

Eligible members must register between August 15, 2017, and November 15, 2017, 11:59 p.m. ET (the “Registration Period”). Member can earn double elite qualifying nights and stays at any of the more than 1,300 hotels and resorts in the SPG® program from September 15, 2017, through December 15, 2017 (the "Promotion Period"), but only after registration occurs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: