Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best W in the World -- what are your favorites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: helvetic
Other threads:
- W: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873459-best-w-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Le Méridien: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874601-favorite-le-meridien-property-worldwide.html
- St. Regis: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873977-favorite-st-regis-worldwide.html
- Luxury Collection: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874737-best-luxury-collection-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Tribute Portfolio: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874739-best-tribute-portfolio-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Four Points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874857-best-four-points-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Westin: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874858-best-westin-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Sheraton: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874860-best-sheraton-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Design Hotels: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874863-best-design-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Aloft: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874918-best-aloft-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Renaissance: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963254-best-renaissance-world-what-your-favorites.html
Print Wikipost

Best W in the World -- what are your favorites?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
Staying at the W Boston this weekend and they've pre-upgraded me to the Wow Suite…

Gotta love the W Boston. By FAR the best domestic W. The service is incredible… the location is convenient… the spot is HAPPENING. During my last visit, it was the wildest hotel party I've ever seen.
There’s no doubt the W Boston has a fantastic hard product. It’s the soft product that isn’t consistent. I’m delighted that they treat you so well, though!

I’ll add that while the W San Francisco is good not great, its Living Room is my favorite for drinks with friends among all Ws I’ve ever visited. I’ve even headed there sometimes while staying at the nearby StR SF, which also has a great lobby bar.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 5, 2017 at 5:50 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
For our upcoming stay at the W Paris Opera, I have applied SNAs toward our reservation and I was checking at the Marvelous Suite that we hope to get, to compare it the Marvelous Suite that we always get when we stay at the W Bangkok.

Marvelous Suite @ W Opera Paris: 32/35 sqm Queen size bed
http://www.wparisopera.com/rooms

Marvelous Suite @ W Bangkok: 84 sqm King size bed
http://www.whotelbangkok.com/rooms

That's a real WOW!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
My favourite W property is W Singapore. Great staff, delicious breakfast, huge pool and a very relaxing property overall. Just checked in yesterday. Really happy to be back.

The W Amsterdam has a fantastic breakfast. Two restaurants with slightly different offerings. Free flowing mimosas with 6-12 freshly squeezed juices. Lots of fresh bread and pastries. This is one of my favourite breakfasts worldwide. Unfortunately, the rooms were rather small. Great restaurants at night too.

Other good options:
W Hollywood.

So so: (I prefer other properties)
W San Francisco.
W London.
W Paris.
W Seattle.
TheFlyingKangaroo likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UASPG
For our upcoming stay at the W Paris Opera, I have applied SNAs toward our reservation and I was checking at the Marvelous Suite that we hope to get, to compare it the Marvelous Suite that we always get when we stay at the W Bangkok.

Marvelous Suite @ W Opera Paris: 32/35 sqm Queen size bed
http://www.wparisopera.com/rooms

Marvelous Suite @ W Bangkok: 84 sqm King size bed
http://www.whotelbangkok.com/rooms

That's a real WOW!
I stayed there in June - did get the upgrade fortunately as the base rooms are quite tiny.

Those are both big beds
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I love how the base room at the W Bangkok is 25% larger than the suite at the W Paris. Those W Bangkok rooms look amazing—in fact, the rooms there look better than most other W's suites.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Some
I love how the base room at the W Bangkok is 25% larger than the suite at the W Paris. Those W Bangkok rooms look amazing—in fact, the rooms there look better than most other W's suites.
Hammers home how bad European room sizes are, I think!

Slightly OT, but most generous not all suite SPG hotel for room sizes I've ever seen is St. Regis Chengdu - 65 sqm(!) standard rooms, entry level suites 110 sqm (i.e. bigger than some 'luxury' hotel Presidential Suites!)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Hammers home how bad European room sizes are, I think!

Slightly OT, but most generous not all suite SPG hotel for room sizes I've ever seen is St. Regis Chengdu - 65 sqm(!) standard rooms, entry level suites 110 sqm (i.e. bigger than some 'luxury' hotel Presidential Suites!)
Yes, St. Regis Chengdu is absolutely wonderful, and I did indeed get an absolutely massive standard room there. I can't even imagine what a suite looks like.

The most ridiculously and absurdly large suite I've gotten, though, was the St. Regis Macao Cotai. Insanity, at >100sqmt for the Metropolitan suite, I didn't know what to do with all the space.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Some
Yes, St. Regis Chengdu is absolutely wonderful, and I did indeed get an absolutely massive standard room there. I can't even imagine what a suite looks like.

The most ridiculously and absurdly large suite I've gotten, though, was the St. Regis Macao Cotai. Insanity, at >100sqmt for the Metropolitan suite, I didn't know what to do with all the space.
When I stayed at the St. Regis Chengdu I was bizarrely warned at check in (got there about 11am after an early flight) that I could wait for a suite upgrade if I wanted but to be aware that they are ‘very big’! I think it was a reference to the time it would take to clean, but who knows!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The W Foshay Minneapolis. I love the use of a historic building (it even has a museum to its history) and the way they've adapted it to make it a luxury hotel is incredible. Plus there's a solid bar at the top of the hotel with great views. And it's a good base of operations for touring the city which I always appreciate.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
For me, it is a tie between W Barcelona and W South Beach. I've received great suite upgrades in both (admittedly with SNA at South Beach) and just love that beach/city position.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:33 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
W Verbier is our absolute favorite W now. The staff is outstanding- especially the head Concierge Miguel Carillo Lopez. The property is beautiful with gorgeous, panoramic views. We had high expectations and they were exceeded.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
I noticed that no one has mentioned the W Fort Lauderdale. When I stayed there a few years ago, I was upgraded to a great room with an oversized bath & a wonderful view. I thought the pool deck area and lobby were amazing. I took advantage of free local transportation and found my interactions with staff friendly and genuine. I did not care for the stingy Plat breakfast benefit which did NOT include any offering at the main restaurant - BUT I really enjoyed my stay. Objectively, I can see how others would pick the W South Beach (which is beautiful & where I received a nice suite upgrade) over the W Ft L, but somehow I wouldn’t.

Based on the above comments, I think Ill try the W Boston very soon. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
My favorites:

W Koh Samui, the garden rooms w/ the plunge pool are great, and the service is great overall in Thailand. Beautiful property

W Scottsdale, I like the Old Town area. They have a unique design, great pool, a fairly popular bar.

W Dubai, Al Habtoor City was still being developed when I went (Dec. 16), so the location wasn’t the most convenient. The standard rooms could be considered suites at other W’s. The service was great as per usual Dubai. The nightclub in it was a lively scene. They had in-house Bentley’s that they’d share w/ the St Regis, the ride to the airport wasn’t that unreasonable verse a uber.

Good:

W Hoboken, great views of Manhattan, and the area is great

W Amsterdam, good location and great roof bar

Retreats:

Maldives, it’s the Maldives. The W didn’t disappoint. Long way away. Def. more romantic than party atmosphere.

Vieques, just opened and pre hurricane. Was beautiful, it was cool with its own airport building. The most tropical place I’ve seen w/o using a passport.

Bali, a massive property, seems less intimate, but better nightlife crowd.

Koh Samui, one of my favorites. Beautiful room with pool, great service, incredible beach.

Punta Mita, I loved it and hated it. It was a lush property, but it’s far from anything and I didn’t think the beachfront was that special.

OK:

Dallas, it was way more fun 10yrs ago

ATL Midtown, nothing great or bad

ATL Buckhead, kinda like a boutique corporate traveling vibe when I was there

Vegas, It was the same decor as it was when it was the SLS, but just with bliss lotion. I thought it was a lackluster conversion. I hope it succeeds.

Mexico City, nothing crazy bad or good

Paris, Paris rooms are small in general no surprise there. The Opera location is good, but more of a daytime commuter and touristy area.

London, English version of W Times Square. Cool bar, it used to be the old MTV studio

Hong Kong, a nice place, close by subway station, nice hot tub and pool on the roof

Singapore, I wasn’t a huge fan of the area it’s in, Sentosa Cove. It’s more of a marina / amusement park resort property.

Bangkok, cool place. They had the best W Store I’d seen in any of them

Austin, I like the record room bar.

Minneapolis, beautiful historic building, good service, needs a renovation asap

French Quarter, a cool little property.

Excited to check out.
W Goa, Verbier, Kuala Lumper

Gone now:
W New Orleans, it needed to be a Westin.
W Lexington, it was a shame how hard that service fell for me.

Were all great 10 years ago, but declined significantly in service or lack of renovation
W Times Square, Lexington (no longer, thank goodness), Union Square, Lakeshore, City Center, San Fransico

I wish I saw Seoul, Sydney, and Honolulu.
I miss the Acura service.

Can we stop playing the symmetry CD. I was in Punta Mita recently and couldn’t believe it when I heard it playing in the car. They must have bought so many so long ago. That cd has been haunting me everywhere forever.

My broad scope on 25 W’s
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I never feel cool or hip enough to stay at Ws.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
The W Scottsdale was fun, good walkable location, but the pool and bar attracts the worst of the D-Bag Scottsdale/Phx scene at night: guys smoking $50 cigars and yelling loudly about how much money they're spending. Ugh, go home.

W Midtown (ATL) is in dire need of a refurb, but it's my ATL Pride base on points every year. The W Buckhead room reminded me of my grandmother's place. My favorite W in Atlanta is Le Meridien which (IRONY) was the first W in Atlanta before it aged badly into the Atlanta Perimeter Hotel and Suites. A thorough gut-out reno later, the LM is still the best SPG in town IMO.

W Montreal because huge suite upgrade, good location, and you can park for cheap in the city garage behind the building.

W San Diego only because they upgraded me to the Stupendous Suite for a barely-eight-hour stay. It was so big I got lost when I woke up.

Hope the W Tel Aviv happens. I've only stayed at US/CA properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.