Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood program not worth trying vs. Marriott

Starwood program not worth trying vs. Marriott

Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
No offense, but this thread makes me laugh.
Seriously, me too. I'm sure if we did the same in the MR thread we'd get the same response .

I've actually stopped 'defending' SPG, the BRG programme etc. SPG still works best for me amongst all the hotel chains; I get my BRG rates, my upgrades, my promos etc etc. If it doesn't work for others, well, they have so many other choices.

Seeing as we only have a year or two left of SPG as it is, I'll concentrate on enjoying the experience rather than worry about others' opinion thank you very much.

Besides, the less Plats diluting the experince the better LOL...

OK I didn't really mean the last bit... sort of
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Seeing as we only have a year or two left of SPG as it is, I'll concentrate on enjoying the experience
It makes me shiver just thinking about the time after
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself

I've actually stopped 'defending' SPG, the BRG programme etc. SPG still works best for me amongst all the hotel chains; I get my BRG rates, my upgrades, my promos etc etc. If it doesn't work for others, well, they have so many other choices.
Exactly! We already have a great thing going. There is no way I want to encourage more people to submit BRGs making the processing time longer.

If someone doesn't like SPG, then let them go to their perceived greener pastures. I have zero interest in convincing them otherwise.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Exactly! We already have a great thing going. There is no way I want to encourage more people to submit BRGs making the processing time longer.

If someone doesn't like SPG, then let them go to their perceived greener pastures. I have zero interest in convincing them otherwise.
Hi5 MG! We must meet one day before SPG merges fully ooops is assimilated.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Where do you find lower rates than you can use on BRG?

Marriott has a similar program but I've never seen lower rates. I'm not trying to get into a MR vs SPG debate ... I see strengths/weaknesses in both but don't understand how BRG works?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Where do you find lower rates than you can use on BRG?

Marriott has a similar program but I've never seen lower rates. I'm not trying to get into a MR vs SPG debate ... I see strengths/weaknesses in both but don't understand how BRG works?
Suggest you look for the BRG thread in this forum - plenty of info there...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I guess this thread in some way shows people chose SPG over MR because of what they prioritize as more important benefits and the same goes for why people chose MR over SPG all before the merger.

Just two different customer types they were trying to attract...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by supatight80
I guess this thread in some way shows people chose SPG over MR because of what they prioritize as more important benefits and the same goes for why people chose MR over SPG all before the merger.

Just two different customer types they were trying to attract...
Yup and this is exactly what scares me about the merger of the two programs and collections of brands. I have very little interest in the boring, formulatic and mostly low-end brands that Marriott has. The velvet portraits of the two Mormon founders in the lobbies of many Marriott's is just bizarre... and dated.
remymartin and Sydneyberlin like this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Yup and this is exactly what scares me about the merger of the two programs and collections of brands. I have very little interest in the boring, formulatic and mostly low-end brands that Marriott has. The velvet portraits of the two Mormon founders in the lobbies of many Marriott's is just bizarre... and dated.
are the pictures bizarre because they are velvet? or because they contain mormons? or because they are of the founders of a large hotel corp? I would recommend you stay away from the post office...there is a bizarre picture of an orange headed POTUS on the wall...surprisingly there used to be a black guys picture in the same place until earlier this year as well.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Frankly, having any non-ironic portraits on walls is more than just a little dated.

I mean, you expect a giant portrait of President Lukashenko when you're in a hotel in Belarus or to see a grinning Colonel at KFC's, but many Marriotts do seem to have a sort of vintage 1980s vibe not seen at Starwood outside of in-refurbed Sheratons.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well ... I'll avoid discussing people's religion since I don't think their religion is relevant or religious bias is appropriate in this forum.

Setting that aside, I don't like the low end Marriott (or SPG brands) either. That being said, next month I could be in Basel or Boise, London or Longmont, Singapore or Sioux Falls so my travel is sometimes in aspirational interesting hotels and sometimes in Fairfield Inn or Springhill Suites. I'm not sure that's unique as the investors and board in Starwood insisted management expand the brand in that mid/low end sector. When it didn't happen, the company was put up for sale. Be very glad that Marriott bought it rather than Anbang!

As for the Marriott's, Renn's, JW's, Westins, and W's that I prefer, I don't really think they attract that much different people (well, the W certainly attracts people who can't afford to stay there and put six people in a room). The differences vary (lounges in legacy Marriott properties for those of us looking for quick snacks and $10 for the bar, vs. a full breakfast at legacy Starwood properties). Some are more modern, some aren't but I don't find that's specific to either legacy company.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The velvet portraits of the two Mormon founders in the lobbies of many Marriott's is just bizarre... and dated.
Just out of curiosity, do the portraits have any effect on your decision to stay in a hotel?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
No offense, but this thread makes me laugh.
This thread is a troll thread.

I never understand how anyone who "JUST" join FT, found a certain thread and it's a complaint that is so one-sided and never comes back. Troll posting.

I have never had a problem at an SPG property, some are better than others, just like Marriott. I think all the hotel companies have pro's and Con's you just pick the company or program that fits you.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ... I'll avoid discussing people's religion since I don't think their religion is relevant or religious bias is appropriate in this forum.
Nor is any religous bias appropriate in a supposedly mainstream hotel; I'd mock Marriott if it were Lutheran, Hindu, or any other religion founders in those portraits. Keep religion of any kind out of these hotels.

More importantly, I find the presentation of these portraits creepy and dated. Marriott can talk all they want about how much progress they have made and how modern they as a company have become, then you have these portraits that go against that. This is going to be a big cultural clash with Starwood.
remymartin and Sydneyberlin like this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:11 pm

Nor is any religous bias appropriate in a supposedly mainstream hotel; I'd mock Marriott if it were Lutheran, Hindu, or any other religion founders in those portraits. Keep religion of any kind out of these hotels.

More importantly, I find the presentation of these portraits creepy and dated. Marriott can talk all they want about how much progress they have made and how modern they as a company have become, then you have these portraits that go against that. This is going to be a big cultural clash with Starwood.
I don't know of any religious bias in Marriott hotels. The hotels certainly don't limit their services to those consistent with the LDS religion -- they have bars and coffee places, for example.

I don't know why it matters if the Marriott family is Lutheran, Hindu, or Mormon. Its fair to state you don't like their pictures ... referencing their religion is inappropriate.

As for the pictures, the Marriott family was very emphatic about maintaining brand standards ranging from services in the concierge lounge to rooms/housekeeping to recognition of elites. To the extent that the pictures remind people of the importance of such a culture, that's a good thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.