Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SNA cleared, told must check out by 2pm, denied option to move standard room

SNA cleared, told must check out by 2pm, denied option to move standard room

Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Angry SNA cleared, told must check out by 2pm, denied option to move standard room

I had a SNA cleared weeks in advance and upon check-in today, I was told that I would have to vacate the room by 2pm, as another guest has it booked it right after me.

I was rather frustrated to learn that I had wasted a SNA on a stay where my late check-out guarantee isn't being honored.

In effort to be amicable, I even proposed to the hotel that they keep in my confirmed suite until 2pm and then move me to another room, but they refuted this as an option and told me it wasn't something they allow.

I pretty much left the front desk with no other options and seemingly being forced to check out at 2pm.

Was hoping some other FT'ers chime could chime in with their experiences and what you would do. Is what I'm being told by the hotel correct?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Pretty clear to me, it is 16:00 guaranteed unless it is a resort or conference centre hotel.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Forgive me for being confused, but was the 2pm check-out request the same day you actually wanted to check-out? Your comment about switching rooms for 2 hours is what's throwing me off.

Were you trying to do 4pm checkout on SNA stay? I guess my point is that the SNA is irrelevant to the 4pm check-out. It's either 4pm or it's not.

While I think the hotel was in the wrong on the denial of the 4pm check-out, I do understand why they didn't want to move you to another room (which would need to be cleaned) for only 2 hours.

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I am trying to do a 4pm checkout on a SNA.

When I made he reservation I also specified a checkout time (being 4pm), if that makes any difference.

The hotel is a non-resort/conference property.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'd be furious if I were you. I think your request to be moved to another room was reasonable and the hotel didn't choose to honour the request. Complain to corporate unless you are still on site. If you are, ask to talk to HM or GM.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
I'd be furious if I were you. I think your request to be moved to another room was reasonable and the hotel didn't choose to honour the request. Complain to corporate unless you are still on site. If you are, ask to talk to HM or GM.
Disagree. I think the OP has a right to ask for 4pm for his suite, but I think the being furious about not being moved to a totally different room for 2 hours isn't appropriate. The hotel will need to take that separate room out of inventory & then clean it for a mere 2 hour stay.

There was another thread about SNA upgrade & being denied Y24. UA_NYC posted that once SNA is applied the Y24 doesn't apply/has to be asked for separately (again). I don't think that's the situation here, but I think the SNA is irrelevant & the 4pm is the big thing on which to focus.

Cheers.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:28 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
[...]It's either 4pm or it's not.
+1

OP is (understandably) angry at having wasted an expense on a hotel only to be declined the promised 4pm checkout. But it's the same kind of anger that OP would presumably have had if the reservation were just for a regular room and not an SNA. Presumably you could just as well say "I can't believe I wasted $150 on that hotel stay only to be kicked out at 2 p.m." as you could say "I can't believe I wasted an SNA on that hotel stay only to be kicked out at 2 p.m."

Also I was confused by:
Originally Posted by Dreamflight
I had a SNA cleared weeks in advance
I thought 5 days out was the max?

In any event, I would hope that you'd get a favorable recovery out of the denial of the late checkout.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:04 pm

FWIW -If it were me I'd be more happy about the SNA clearing than the 2pm vs. the 4pm check-out issue. In a perfect world I'd want both, but if I had to choose I'd go w/ the suite.

I truly don't understand what the SNA has to do w/ the 4pm checkout.

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
I posted in another thread about SNAs that I had one clear at a US Sheraton recently, and was told 12pm checkout was the latest for Suites. I debated it but they wouldn't budge.

I wasn't sure the rule, and couldn't find anything confirming one way or another.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I truly don't understand what the SNA has to do w/ the 4pm checkout.
While I agree with your points, the issue (from the hotel's perspective) is the number of "suite" rooms the hotel has in inventory. It is very possible all the suites are booked up and the OP is in the only one being vacated that day. Thus someone else who reserved that room may have to wait later than the normal check-in time.

Now if the rules are that the hotel has to honor the 4pm check-out even on suite upgrades, then this is just an issue the hotel has to deal with. Not honoring the 4pm check-out shouldn't be one of the options. The OP was nice enough to offer the hotel a way out between their rock/hard-place. And while it might cost them a bit in having to clean up that room, it could have allowed them to honor both the check-out and the check-in times they should be honoring.

So while I doubt I'd be "furious", I wouldn't be happy and I would be escalating with the hotel management and with Starwood Customer Service.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Disagree. I think the OP has a right to ask for 4pm for his suite, but I think the being furious about not being moved to a totally different room for 2 hours isn't appropriate. The hotel will need to take that separate room out of inventory & then clean it for a mere 2 hour stay.
I wouldn't use the word furious, but I don't think it's an unreasonable request provided they have a room available. Yes, the property would then have to clean the room again after a mere 2 hour stay, but I'm guessing it's unlikely the bed will be slept in so it's probably just a refresh of any toiletries that might be used. Even if they had to completely re-do the room, IMO the extra effort is a worthwhile compromise in this situation for a valued customer.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
They're wrong but it appears they won't budge. Make a complaint to SPG and open a claim against the hotel for not honoring your guaranteed benefit. Make sure to document everything. At least get some points as compensation.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
I posted in another thread about SNAs that I had one clear at a US Sheraton recently, and was told 12pm checkout was the latest for Suites. I debated it but they wouldn't budge.
To the OP and you - pleasepleaseplease property shame. Not naming the property doesn't allow sunlight to disinfect.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Completely agree with the sentiments expressed here. Definitely open a Corporate Customer Service complaint as the hotel is required to honor the 4pm late check-out. You went above and beyond by offering to move to a different room and they need to be held accountable. I would also ask to speak with a manager, if you haven't already, and indicate you plan to file a CCS complaint unless they honor the terms of the program and offer points in lieu of you filing the CCS. The CCS can result in a significant fine for the hotel and they try to avoid those.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd like to know how the SNA cleared well before the five day window. Did the property give the OP a special above and beyond upgrade that normally wouldn't be included in the SNA upgrade pool? Also, is this an official convention center property or resort?

If this had been a normal SNA upgrade (and not a convention center or resort), the OP is entitled to the 4 pm guaranteed late checkout. It was nice and gracious of the OP to offer to switch to a normal room at 2 pm, but this would consititute the guest doing the hotel a favor--specifically a favor that the guest is not obligated to do unless it is an above and beyond upgrade and the 2 pm checkout was agreed upon at the time the deal was made. If the hotel doesn't want to agree to the room switch, then the OP just reverts to the standard guaranteed 4 pm checkout.

IMO the OP should just insist on the guaranteed 4 pm checkout. Period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.