Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SNA cleared, told must check out by 2pm, denied option to move standard room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNA cleared, told must check out by 2pm, denied option to move standard room

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by brobin
In thinking about how I would react to being told I had to leave my room early I think I would have just said "No, my guaranteed checkout is 4pm and I'll be out of the room by that time." What are they going to do, call the cops and drag me out screaming? Well maybe, if the hotel is owned by United.
If pressed by the hotel, I would explain that I have legal possession of the room till 4pm but I might be willing to sell back the two hours they want for the right offer; either a replacement room or perhaps a future stay voucher or an appropriate cash payment/points credit. If they declined to make an acceptable offer I'd leave at my leisure by 4pm.
I figured that often handling such situation sensibly will give you a better outcome.

I won't insist on staying in the room till 4pm if they press me to leave, but will lodge a case as it is against starwood corporate policy
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by formeraa
I've never understood why they don't stagger the schedules just a bit in housekeeping. That just begs for at least having a couple of housekeepers work until 5pm. Plus, that would cut down on the congestion in the staff elevators (trying to bring carts, etc., up at the same time in the morning and down in the afternoon).
I've run into many properties where the housekeeping staff is farmed out and they are paid by-the-room. Some that I've talked with have second or third jobs and need to move on to the next place as quickly as possible. It's a fair guess that they are not paid a living wage and need to stack as much as they can in their day.

It's easy for us to say well I'm entitled to a 4pm check out and therefore I'm going to take it. But the impact that has on the rest of the world has not been factored into the program. Yes, I do use late check-out when I need to, but I'm usually one to head out by 8am and never look back.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I've run into many properties where the housekeeping staff is farmed out and they are paid by-the-room. Some that I've talked with have second or third jobs and need to move on to the next place as quickly as possible. It's a fair guess that they are not paid a living wage and need to stack as much as they can in their day.

It's easy for us to say well I'm entitled to a 4pm check out and therefore I'm going to take it. But the impact that has on the rest of the world has not been factored into the program. Yes, I do use late check-out when I need to, but I'm usually one to head out by 8am and never look back.
This would be an issue between the property and their housekeeping staff. Customers shouldn't be inconvenienced by the hotel's decisions regarding staffing versus cost cutting.If the hotel wants to be a Starwood, it should be prepared to play by the SPG rules.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I think the issue here is that you think they are obligated to give you the late checkout at 4pm. When you book and ask for it you are only making a request to the hotel, they can choose to allow it, or not. In this case they did not choose too and even told you why, they didn't even need to tell you why. It is what it is, not an issue other than not getting what you wanted.

Patrick

Originally Posted by Dreamflight
I had a SNA cleared weeks in advance and upon check-in today, I was told that I would have to vacate the room by 2pm, as another guest has it booked it right after me.

I was rather frustrated to learn that I had wasted a SNA on a stay where my late check-out guarantee isn't being honored.

In effort to be amicable, I even proposed to the hotel that they keep in my confirmed suite until 2pm and then move me to another room, but they refuted this as an option and told me it wasn't something they allow.

I pretty much left the front desk with no other options and seemingly being forced to check out at 2pm.

Was hoping some other FT'ers chime could chime in with their experiences and what you would do. Is what I'm being told by the hotel correct?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by TIGA31328
I think the issue here is that you think they are obligated to give you the late checkout at 4pm. When you book and ask for it you are only making a request to the hotel, they can choose to allow it, or not.
And why do you say that, as that's obviously different from the Starwood program commitments.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Perhaps it is always the non-Starwood owned properties (especially those owned by property developers who may also own multiple hotels across various brands) that have issues with 4PM late check-out (or even SPG benefits)?

I remember staying at a (Starwood-owned?) property which always gave me 4PM late check-out if asked. However, almost every time I had 4PM late check-out at that property, I would see a note under my door on the day of check-out offering me 5,000 points if I forgo late check-out.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps it is always the non-Starwood owned properties (especially those owned by property developers who may also own multiple hotels across various brands) that have issues with 4PM late check-out (or even SPG benefits)?

I remember staying at a (Starwood-owned?) property which always gave me 4PM late check-out if asked. However, almost every time I had 4PM late check-out at that property, I would see a note under my door on the day of check-out offering me 5,000 points if I forgo late check-out.
Most hotels are not owned by Starwood - I think my point is if the property join a program, they need to play by the rules.

In your case, at least they offer you 5,000 points to forgo late checkout - I would bite the bait if the circumstance is reasonable.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
And why do you say that, as that's obviously different from the Starwood program commitments.
Because only those who are not Gold/Plat based on actual nights/stays of the SPG Program don't know what they're talking about
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I think the issue here is that you think they are obligated to give you the late checkout at 4pm.
They are obligated to give 4pm checkout to Gold/Plat members.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I think the issue here is that you think they are obligated to give you the late checkout at 4pm. When you book and ask for it you are only making a request to the hotel, they can choose to allow it, or not. In this case they did not choose too and even told you why, they didn't even need to tell you why. It is what it is, not an issue other than not getting what you wanted.

Patrick
I think the issue might be you do not understand the way SPG program works, the Op is a Platinum SPG member and as such is entitled to a 4pm checkout and the hotel is thus obligated to give a 4pm late checkout and is in breach of the terms and conditions when it refuses.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt

Patrick
They are obligated and every SPG hotel I've stayed so far has come on and automatically asked if I'll be needing late checkout at 4 pm, even for hotels I've done morning check-ins they've asked if I needed a late checkout.

It's only when I'm asking for later than 4 pm checkout, it's up to the graces of the hotel. I rarely checkout after 4 pm anyways (usually I check out in the morning) and I've been denied once saying they are expecting another guest even so I ended up checking out around 4:45 pm and they did not complain at all.

If a hotel can't offer the same SPG commitment to every guest then they need to reconsider their membership into the program.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:01 am

Find a new job? None of that is my problem.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: LH Senator / AF Plat / QR Plat / HH Diamond Life / MR Plat
I'd stay in the room until 4, pay whatever they charged extra for that and get corporate to refund it...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat

OK so, now you feel we should give up our entirlememts, those which over the years we have earned and payed for, which are guranteed by the progream, which might cause a lot of problems if we cannot use, BECAUSE the hotel that signed up for the SPG program obligationg them selves to provide these servicers, want to save money ?

Sorry for the staff but while I dont staty longet than I need, I do stay to 4 if I do need.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold

I don't think it is down to the guests of a hotel and members of a program that offers benefits for its most frequent guests to decide to leave a hotel before the time they are entitled because the hotel might not be employing the staff at the right times or on the correct rates. By leaving early you are just enabling the hotel to get away with paying even less and cutting down the hours even more.

I would keep a room past a time I needed, not because I am thinking of the hotel but because I am thinking of the next guest that might be checking into that room. If I keep it until 4pm it is quite possible someone wont get it until 5 or 6pm.

If a hotel approached me after giving me an upgrade saying we know you have the right to keep the suite until 4pm but we have a paying / regular guest arriving and this is the only suite becoming vacant today will you be requiring a late checkout I would be willing to work with the hotel. With the hope / expectation that should I return to the hotel they will look after me in a similar way next time or maybe offer me a drink in the bar before leaving or something similar. If however the approached it like they did in this situation I would be anything but helpful and raise the issue with Starwood and seek compensation.

The issue here is how the hotel goes about treating its guests and it is simply not acceptable anf they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.