Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SNA cleared, told must check out by 2pm, denied option to move standard room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNA cleared, told must check out by 2pm, denied option to move standard room

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! Reading everyone's insights has been helpful.

The property in question is the Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport. I have had over 20+ stays at this property and this is the first time I've encountered an issue of this type (and also the first time I've requested SNA -- although, not that that relates to the core of the issue, as others here have advised me).

I have to correct what I stated earlier about my SNA clearing weeks in advance; my SNA cleared within the 5-day window, in fact. I confused this with the fact that I had submitted my SNA request in advance.

It's also nice to know that my proposition to have the hotel move me to another room after being asked to vacate my suite early wasn't a crazy proposition! I've had other properties allow me this when they "needed the room cleared out", and I'm generally always abiding. In those cases, I even made sure to leave the second room in nearly untouched condition as I'm conscientious of it having to be re-cleaned, regardless of the fact that I was inconvenienced in having to shuffle around.

Come tomorrow morning (I am currently staying at the property as we speak), I will talk to the hotel manager to see what my options are, and will be sharing my experience with SPG Corporate.

I think the most annoying factor in my experience was that I wasn't given any other options - not even an apology of any sort. I was made to feel that I was inconveniencing the next guest by wanting to check out at 4pm.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I had this happen at the Westin Fort Lauderdale a few years ago and spoke about it with the Starwood Lurker, who wasn't able to get the 4 PM checkout, but they filed a complaint with Corporate and did ensure that the hotel sent me a meaningful amount of Starpoints as compensation. So I can confirm that the hotel does have to honor the 4 PM request and that you should expect to receive some compensation as a result.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
As far as I am aware this property isn't a conference centre so it has to honour the 4pm checkout, it is not like Your24 which is optional, 4pm Platinum Checkout is set in stone.

The use of SNA's has no relevance and does not give the hotel the ability to ask you to leave before 4pm. In fact the point could be made that they are devaluing your SNA by making you leave before 4pm, you applied them on the understanding if cleared you would have the suite until 4pm.

Speak to whoever is the manager on duty / GM if available and point out it is a non optional benefit. Also point out you offered to work with the hotel and move which under the circumstances is very generous of you and you wouldn't catch me doing so unless a hotel approached me in a very nice manor and it wasn't a huge issue to me.

The way the hotel has treated you so far I would say stand your ground, call the Platinum line if you get nowhere with the manager and file a complaint with Corporate.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Last year this property sent me emails telling me to quit brg'ing with them or they'll report my account to Starwood for BRG overuse/abuse.

I'm not surprised when I read that it's the Westin Wall Centre YVR that's short changing OP with his/her guaranteed 4PM C/Out
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by supatight80
Last year this property sent me emails telling me to quit brg'ing with them or they'll report my account to Starwood for BRG overuse/abuse.

I'm not surprised when I read that it's the Westin Wall Centre YVR that's short changing OP with his/her guaranteed 4PM C/Out
I hope you replied suggesting they stop trying to overcharge loyal SPG members and get their revenue department in order so Spg has the lowest rates available as per Starwood BRG.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by supatight80

And what was SPGs response when you forwarded the emails? I don't recall any rules limiting how often you can submit BRGs. And shouldn't they be the ones reported to offering their rooms up cheaper on outside sites?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:25 am

If the hotel wasn't in a position to allow the OP to stay in the suite until 4pm, they shouldn't have approved the SNA in the first place. Once they approved it, its a guaranteed 4pm check out.

Given its an airport property, I very much have my doubts they have some sort of VVIP staying, but rather - given the limited number of suites - they just have an internal policy of telling guests in suites that check-out is 2pm.

In the OP's shoes, I'd ask to speak with the Manager on Duty, let her/him know that the 4pm check-out is a guaranteed SPG benefit, and if the hotel is not able to honour said benefit, you'll follow-up with SPG corporate. If I wanted to avoid a confrontation and then left the room at 2pm, I'd also very much expect to retain club access until 4pm (or even a little later to make up for the service failing).
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I'm going to suggest to my next *wood property that we stack Plats and SNAs into the same suites back-to-back. That way, we can say "I'm sorry, but another Plat is in that suite and won't be out until the 4pm Plat guarantee check out time. We will have to have time to service the suite, so your suite will be available at 8pm. This is the only suite left available for SNA and upgrades tonight"...

Sorry you feel wronged. If your meet with the Director of Guest Services (I'd be surprised if the GM thinks it's worth the time) goes well, great. If it doesn't, then you always have the recourse of fileing a CCC complaint.

I always thought the Westin Wall Centre was downtown - never knew it was by the airport. Then, I realized it is the SHERATON Wall Centre that is downtown Vancouver. There's a Wall Centre both downtown AND at the airport???
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by slidergirl

I always thought the Westin Wall Centre was downtown - never knew it was by the airport. Then, I realized it is the SHERATON Wall Centre that is downtown Vancouver. There's a Wall Centre both downtown AND at the airport???
Yes, and there is a man with the last name of Wall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_...erty_developer)
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makin'miles
If the hotel wasn't in a position to allow the OP to stay in the suite until 4pm, they shouldn't have approved the SNA in the first place. Once they approved it, its a guaranteed 4pm check out.

Given its an airport property, I very much have my doubts they have some sort of VVIP staying, but rather - given the limited number of suites - they just have an internal policy of telling guests in suites that check-out is 2pm.

In the OP's shoes, I'd ask to speak with the Manager on Duty, let her/him know that the 4pm check-out is a guaranteed SPG benefit, and if the hotel is not able to honour said benefit, you'll follow-up with SPG corporate. If I wanted to avoid a confrontation and then left the room at 2pm, I'd also very much expect to retain club access until 4pm (or even a little later to make up for the service failing).
Yes. Receiving very confused communications from this property. Last time I stayed here, my room even had an advert which stated "Weekends last longer at Westin with late checkout on Sunday" and a 3pm checkout for ALL guests, not just SPG Gold/Plat members.

This stay, it seems like that's no longer the case, nor is a 4pm late checkout for SPG Plat guests.

My communications with the Guest Services Supervisor (who is also the acting manager on duty today) did not go well. I was reminded that 4pm checkout is based on availability and is not a guarantee. After feeling empowered by the posts in this thread, I stood my ground and said it IS a guaranteed benefit as per the SPG program, and since this property is not a resort or conference hotel, it should be honored. I was then simply told that "we are not one of those who offers that."

In any case, I decided to leave early. Everything started to become less centered around the 4pm checkout issue and more about how I felt I was treated. I received line upon line about the next guest, how much that guest had paid, how they needed the room for them, but what about me? My business and loyalty definitely felt diminished. They constantly made me feel like I was creating problems for the next guest.

I never pulled a "do you know who I am?" and was simply looking for options or solutions. I counted roughly 24 stays at this property across 2016/17 but who knows, maybe the next guest had 100. Never even got a "sorry we messed up" or any sort of sympathetic apology (even a fake one!).
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by Dreamflight
Yes. Receiving very confused communications from this property. Last time I stayed here, my room even had an advert which stated "Weekends last longer at Westin with late checkout on Sunday" and a 3pm checkout for ALL guests, not just SPG Gold/Plat members.

This stay, it seems like that's no longer the case, nor is a 4pm late checkout for SPG Plat guests.

My communications with the Guest Services Supervisor (who is also the acting manager on duty today) did not go well. I was reminded that 4pm checkout is based on availability and is not a guarantee. After feeling empowered by the posts in this thread, I stood my ground and said it IS a guaranteed benefit as per the SPG program, and since this property is not a resort or conference hotel, it should be honored. I was then simply told that "we are not one of those who offers that."

In any case, I decided to leave early. Everything started to become less centered around the 4pm checkout issue and more about how I felt I was treated. I received line upon line about the next guest, how much that guest had paid, how they needed the room for them, but what about me? My business and loyalty definitely felt diminished. They constantly made me feel like I was creating problems for the next guest.

I never pulled a "do you know who I am?" and was simply looking for options or solutions. I counted roughly 24 stays at this property across 2016/17 but who knows, maybe the next guest had 100. Never even got a "sorry we messed up" or any sort of sympathetic apology (even a fake one!).
Definitely file a CCS complaint and focus on the detail how you tried talking directly to the MOD at the property to no avail. File with: Customer Service Department
1-800-328-6242, as this is a hotel issue, not an SPG issue.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by lilpisher
Definitely file a CCS complaint and focus on the detail how you tried talking directly to the MOD at the property to no avail. File with: Customer Service Department
1-800-328-6242, as this is a hotel issue, not an SPG issue.
I fully agree with this, even if in the end you left early as wasnt as important you should not let the hotel get away with such behavior to you or to allow it to think it can do so again in the future to you or anyone else!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Dreamflight
The property in question is the Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport...
Meanwhile at another property in the Vancouver area, I booked 2 separate rooms. The front desk was only able to give 4PM late check-out to one of them and not both.

Upon vacating my room at 4PM, already standing outside were 3 housekeepers ready to come in with stuff to start cleaning the room for the next guest. Usually only 1 housekeeper is needed to clean a room.

Apparently, the front desk mentioned that all the housekeepers who can make up rooms to brand standard in order to allow the next guest to check-in end their shift at 4:30PM! The remaining housekeeping staff in the evening can only provide limited services like provide extra towels etc.

This means with limited time, they had to use 3 housekeepers (presumably they were about to go home) to make up my room.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
The front desk was only able to give 4PM late check-out to one of them and not both.
My understanding is the 4pm check-out is for the elite member's room only. So it sounds like they are following the rules.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by daniellam
Meanwhile at another property in the Vancouver area, I booked 2 separate rooms. The front desk was only able to give 4PM late check-out to one of them and not both.

Upon vacating my room at 4PM, already standing outside were 3 housekeepers ready to come in with stuff to start cleaning the room for the next guest. Usually only 1 housekeeper is needed to clean a room.

Apparently, the front desk mentioned that all the housekeepers who can make up rooms to brand standard in order to allow the next guest to check-in end their shift at 4:30PM! The remaining housekeeping staff in the evening can only provide limited services like provide extra towels etc.

This means with limited time, they had to use 3 housekeepers (presumably they were about to go home) to make up my room.
Name the property, please - they deserve to be recognized for superb efficiency and for following the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.